who hunts public land?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by outdoorsman_33, Oct 19, 2008.

1. trophythumper

trophythumper Spike

Oct 22, 2008
    Paducah,KY area
    I've seen some nice deer off of Clark's River refuge. I've hunted it only a couple of times. We are so lucky to have ALOT of public hunting land! I'm tired of hearing the excuse "I don't have anywhere to hunt" for a reason for not hunting. I lived in the Owensboro Area ...not much public land.

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I only have a couple of private land tracts that I can hunt. So I hunt private in barren and allen a lot. But every year there are more and more hunters. One place I went to check out Sat. Had 10 trucks parked at the parking area and no telling how many hunters. I dont know how many acres are exactly there but not enough for that many maybe 3-4 and that would be pushing it. So I didnt even bother stopping they im sure had the deer pushed up out of there and no. 2 it is unsafe for that many people to hunt a piece of ground like that in a non organized manner. Kinda makes me sick because years ago that use to be the best hunting I knew of private or not. But now you are lucking to see a doe and she is normally just passing through. Its way to populated with people down here. But that is public hunting they have as much right as I do I suppose. but still it is unsafe and doesnt mean I have to hunt there. I would stay home first. As bad as I would hate to. I have done it before while the fields are full of orange I set and drink coffee.

3. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    On place I went to there were people even camping out at the parking area which is restricted! But who am I to tell them they cant do it. 10-15 people hunting a few acres is just as bad as camping on it when you arent suppose to in my book.

4. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I wish they would put a board up at every WMA with zones marked on it and you had to sign in that way you could controll the number of people to make it safe and everybody would know were every one was at. And if your name wasnt on a zone you could hunt that morning or night or what ever. Does anyone have a opionin on this?

5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    My last 3-4 post was talking about pennisula. Wow what a small world. I know what you mean brother. My dad and I have been hunting it since they opened it and it is breath taking to see that. I was up the road on private listening to them made me almost sick. Because I know what is down there and what they had to be shooting at was does and little ones.

6. preachinhunter

preachinhunter Spike

Sep 20, 2008
    Louisville, Ky

I got one...it won't happen! It's a great idea...especially for private land like a hunting club or something. But, I used to hunt a public piece in NW GA and the CO's tried this. The last thing CO's need to do is have to drive around every morning of rifle season, check every board to see where people have marked their location, and then go to check and make sure they're where they said they'd be. The problem was that it was just too hard to enforce...and check up on people. They said the majority of hunters just drove right by the map/board and into the hunting area. They did change the process, requiring that hunters both mark their place AND also sign in with their tag number...this helped a little because it was somewhat easier to check for the vehicle and see if they were even in their remote marked location. Even then, the CO's would have to spend time driving around all the hunting area...very hard rule to put to practice on public land....but GREAT idea for a private hunting club!

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I hunt WMAs some but not alot. What I hate is guys from out of town come in groups of 4-8 or more then set up campers in an area and sort of take over a spot. If you still try and hunt that spot they give you a pi$$ed off look. Many times they set camp in a spot that will be the only way into an area so most times you'll just have to give up that area. No matter how much time you have invested in it.

Some guys you meet are very nice on public ground but many are total butt holes. Not to say it's not the same on private ground but you don't run into them as much.

8. luckyone

luckyone Fawn

Nov 13, 2005
    Harrodsburg KY
    I hunt Taylorsville and see deer almost every time I go have killed a doe there this year and seen several small bucks.

9. WETWADERS

WETWADERS 6 pointer

Barren no more

15 years ago Barren wma was great. Even during rifle season there was room to roam. I got fed up about 5 years ago when I took my boy to scout a duck hole the 2nd weekend of gun and there was a guy "hunting" at the parking area on his cell phone. Said he was watching the big field, but I had a bad feeling he was on lookout for someone. Went back the next day and there were sawed off deer legs just left in the parking area. Probably from 5-6 deer that I could see. I always hunt with my son, and I was/am not going to get into that kind of mess with a young'n. No more public GUN hunting for me.

10. wpf

wpf 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2007
    NKY
    Thats kinda hard with those three i hunt mainly adair but with any of them there is no DEEP area to go to.

11. 30pointbuck

30pointbuck Spike

Oct 11, 2004
    glasgow ky
    Long journey's start with a single step .

So what we need is more public land . Why don't we as a group ( members of kyhunting.com ) start some kind of chapter to do fund raisers with sole intent of raising money to purchase more public land . And also volunteer to help the state in any land improvements upon the wma's that we already have . Well what do you say ?

12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I would donate what I could but I dont know if our little wallets would make a difference. Let me know what you find out and what I could do to help. I wish more farmers would let people hunt. Thats what needs to happen. I would like to see some youth only WMA's around here with a bag limit of one deer a year!