Who heads small game at KDFWR

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by perrymax, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I had to dig into the archieves to find this post from Ronnie on what a typical plan would or could do if the Dept. would allow it. I've ask "why not" and I'm still waiting on an answer from the higher-ups. In their defense, I know this legislature crap has them scrambling and expect an answer any day now. As you can see by the plan, it's over several lifetimes, but the effects would be shown pretty quickly.

Quote from Birdman---"Multi lets take Pine Mountain WMA (5,018) Letcher CO. location 5mi. SW of Whitesburg off US 119. Mountainous and steep. Game species deer, squirrel, turkey, grouse, fox, and raccoon. No camping allowed. Sight-seeing, hiking.

Take each of these WMA's, get the bottom land cleaned up, put in alternative food sources for game. On our hill sides determine acreage, divide number of acres by 80yrs. and clear cut that section.

This will do several thing. Regenerate a poor forest caused by select cutting, in past years,(taking the number of acres listed above we would cut 62.6 acres per year for 80yrs.) create thickets for grouse and other game for propogation and cover. Plus the money coming in from logging on these properities will pay for forestry biogolists and other projects on these WMA's.

What's there now is a stand of grade 2 and 3 timber that's benefiting very little.

This year we got some small water holes on this area do to the work the ky. grouse hunters have been doing with KDFWR the last two years.

Muleskinner they've cut about 25 acres on Paintsville Lake in different locations, around three acres on Dewey and Yatesville WMA's. On Yatesville they burned about 40 acres and planeted some fields, on Paintsville there was some burning and about 20 acres was sown. We hope that this will continue on these areas but we need everyones voice and help to get this started on all these WMA's in eastern ky."

I'm asking Adam and OneShot to fill us in on why this plan wouldn't work????[8)][^]

2. OnePostOnly

OnePostOnly Fawn

Feb 20, 2003
    Letcher GASTROPODS GLYPHYALINIA RHOADSI SCULPTED GLYPH T
    Letcher GASTROPODS PATERA PANSELENUS VIRGINIA BLADETOOTH S
    Letcher CRUSTACEANS CAMBARUS PARVOCULUS A CRAYFISH E
    Letcher INSECTS ERORA LAETA EARLY HAIRSTREAK S
    Letcher INSECTS LITOBRANCHA RECURVATA A BURROWING MAYFLY S
    Letcher INSECTS STYLURUS NOTATUS ELUSIVE CLUBTAIL H
    Letcher FISHES ETHEOSTOMA NIGRUM SUSANAE JOHNNY DARTER E/C
    Letcher FISHES PHOXINUS CUMBERLANDENSIS BLACKSIDE DACE T/LT
    Letcher AMPHIBIANS PLETHODON WEHRLEI WEHRLE'S SALAMANDER E
    Letcher BIRDS ACCIPITER STRIATUS SHARP-SHINNED HAWK S
    Letcher BIRDS CORVUS CORAX COMMON RAVEN E
    Letcher BIRDS EMPIDONAX MINIMUS LEAST FLYCATCHER E
    Letcher BIRDS PHEUCTICUS LUDOVICIANUS ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK S
    Letcher BIRDS TYTO ALBA BARN OWL S
    Letcher MAMMAL CLETHRIONOMYS GAPPERI MAURUS RED-BACKED VOLE S
    Letcher MAMMALS CORYNORHINUS RAFINESQUII RAFINESQUE'S BAT S
    Letcher MAMMALS MUSTELA NIVALIS LEAST WEASEL S
    Letcher MAMMALS MYOTIS LEIBII EASTERN SMALL-FOOTED MYOTIS T
    Letcher MAMMALS MYOTIS SODALIS INDIANA BAT E/LE
    Letcher MAMMALS SOREX CINEREUS CINEREUS SHREW S
    Letcher MAMMALS SOREX DISPAR BLITCHI LONG-TAILED SHREW E
    Letcher MAMMALS SPILOGALE PUTORIUS EASTERN SPOTTED SKUNK S
    Letcher MAMMALS URSUS AMERICANUS AMERICAN BLACK BEAR S
    Letcher COMMUNITIES APPALACHIAN ACID SEEP APPALACHIAN ACID SEEP N

Obviously all of these aren't going to be affected by your proposal, but several would be negatively impacted. Data is from the KY state nature preserves comm. 2001.

I enjoy your guys willingness to fight for your issues, and I see no problem with managing for grouse in eastern ky. I was just pointing out that other factors must be considered by F&W.
    O.K. This is my last post for sure!!!![:D]

3. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    OnePost, Thanks! By the way--what's an "acid seep" Are they good to eat?[:D]

4. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    You know I thought it was the license buying sportsmen who should have a say on what was done with these areas and how they are managed for huntable game, not speckled newt or orange frog, If we buy the license to hunt we need to worry with the game we hunt and I'm know biologist but I can prove what game come to eat and what it does to improve them.

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Maybe it was missed, but the Ky. Grouse Hunters plan was to log only 1/80th of the parcel per year. Over 80 years, you would have an improved forest, and an improve ecosystem for all the animals, both game and non game the tree hugger mentioned.

The other part that is puzzleing is that IF these were private lands, that the Dept. PLBs would likely be encouraging the very thing that we want done here. I know, because I've had it suggested to me on my own farm.

Adam-you seem to have a genuine interest in this subject. As you can see it's been on going for years. Those ole boys up there in them mountains are about fed up with it. In fact, the rest of the thread where that post came from showed that the WMAs in Eastern Ky. are quite large compared with the rest of the state. Here's the post that started that thread-

quote Birdman "Within the 7th. district we have 131,648 acres of public land in which to hunt or fish, the 8th district has 30,924 acres, 9th 120,300 acres - this totals 282,872 acres (this does not include the new WMA's that have been added this year), which I think is around 60,000 acres, putting the total over 300,000 acres. The Daniel Boone is 670,000 acres by it's self, granted some of these WMA's are within the Daniel Boone (about 100,000 acres) with all areas together we have about 800,000 acres of public land in these three districts that are huntable. What we get from the dept. is that these areas are to small to make a difference. What do you think?"

On top of that, the answer from the Dept. was to increase funding for habitat improvement by $50,000--spread that over 800,000 acres and see what you get.

In summery, the Eastern Ky. area needs help. There is little tillable land to manage like happens on othe WMAs in the state. These guys are only asking that something different gets done, something that will work and something that will improve the grouse habitat sometime this century. As you say, WE are willing to work with anybody to get it done. I waiting to find out "why not".

6. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Believe it or not a good burn might happen. Thnaks for listening, at least thats more than we got from the Dept.

7. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    All of this goes to show how stupid KY is. Although bobwhite quail and woodcock are not on the "Threatened" or "Endangered" list, with management practices such as those in KY -- classification may not be that far off. Proper management is the key to "all" wildlife --QU has proven this with the quail, Pheasants Forever with pheasant and a person only has to travel to MI to see the net results with woodcock!

Selectively cutting trees is not a major undertaking and will have no ill-effects on the species that OnePostOnly referred to. Who knows, it may even benefit them.

8. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    One post and Adam, thanks for at least talking to us on this subject. Any time Grouse and timber harvest are brought up in the same sentence in the presence of F&W officials, well.....you get a very cold response. I did not understand what these fellows were up against until I went there and hunted with them.

Granted my education is experience , not scholastic when it comes to hunting and fishing. I do know however that a little bit of good logging helps nearly every species I've ever dealt with. These guys are not asking for Eastern Ky. to be laid low. They just want some logging done and in a responsible manner. The really sad part of this as I understand F&W would get the money!!

It was hard for me to comprehend till I went to several places on two different WMA's with these guys. I have few complaints with the dept. I have far more praises than gripes but these guys have a legitimate complaint and I'm backing them a hundred percent.

As for turkeys, no logging operation ever cuts down all of the trees, there are plenty left that a turkey can roost in. It's not like these guys are asking for the whole woods to be laid low. Any "endangered" weird species can just move over to the woods not cut.

The only good deer sign I saw were in the brushy areas of these WMA's and Auxier Flats which was by far the best area and the politicians are trying to steal that from us as well.

Hang in there boys, maybe with the help of some flatlanders as well we can get enough support for this[;)] If not, well......wouldn't surprise me if there was not a "wild fire" in those parts. Knowing these fellows I'm amazed it has not already happened.

9. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Damn son, don't you get to far away!!! Hell....your the best thing I've seen since Birdman's Kookin show[^] I sure hope you continue to try to be a F&W employee. By God, don't be a stranger either!!!....we may give you the title of "Multi junior"[^][:0][;)]

10. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    Adam, just for extra information the brain worm was already present in most of the eastern Ky deer herd before the Elk arrived, several have already died from the brain worm. According to Charlie Logsdon , Elk Biologist, there will always be a few lost to the brain worm just as you will lose a few deer to some health problems from time to time. I , like Extreme, receive much of my education from experience too. You seem to have a solid foundation under you young man now build on it, I'm still learning how to make it through from one season to the next without a DIVORCE.For God sakes don't end up like Multi! Just Kiddin!

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Boys I don't know if this boy knows shit from shinola, but I like his attitude. Scott is at it again, if you haven't see the paper check it out. From what I was told we had prime rib and paw paws on the menu this week. You know that boys going to f ck around until I invite him to dinner.

About one visit from people like onepost is all I can stand. But it's always nice to know, that their's people out there that still eat fried shit and paw paws, but I never could get used to cleaning those damn skunks.

12. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    Ronnie, did you let him go through the garbage? Me thinks he needs a lesson!

13. adam: where did you graduate from? where are you working now? one word of caution...don't bite the hand that you want to feed you. will you work for KDFWR? nah! let me open the can of worms...is your best friend Jon Gassett? nope? well go back to college and make friends with a Phd student that will some day be running the show at the state level and then ask him for a job...ask and you shall receive. I wish there would be more home grown boys in KDFWR that grew up hunting but with todays trends we are getting alot of people that are not into hunting. Our PLB's are working their butts off and kudos to them, just wish they had more freedom and money to do more of what they know how to do. I really enjoyed reading this thread and see what the hunters of ky are thinking. Boy, if DC Roy Grimes would read this thread I would no longer be the blame for making him mad about the hiring process via the "register". Adam, are you on the register? your hair may turn gray before kdfwr's budget allows more hiring. can anyone look into a statistic of how many of the wildlife students from murray, morehead, and eastern are working in a wildlife career?
    take care,
    Jimmy Neutron
    "kid genius"

14. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I want to wish you luck with your career, even if you have to relocate to find work. Don't pay too much attention to Jimmy Neutron, he likes to come around once or twice a year and stir things up. Again, good luck with your career plans.

15. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    That's fair..all we want is to be told the truth. By that I mean if the Dept. doesn't ever plan on fixing the grouse habitat problem, come on out and say so. If they won't do the logging or other improvemnets, tell us why not. People want answers and have been waiting VERY PATIENTLY for years to get something done.

Adam, at least your on your way to being a professional. You have good common sense along with a good education. You are ahead of a lot of folks just on that account.