Who bowhunts on the ground, with success?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Xi Bowhunter, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Does anyone bowhunt on the ground sometimes with any success? I don't have time to hang a stand, and i don't want to move a blind into this area that I want to hunt during the time I have off during Christmas and new-years. I just found this area the other day, and it is on the side of an oak ridge with 2 fresh scrapes, some rubs, and 2 heavily used deer trails.

I was thinking about using some cedar branches and bushes in the area for cover, and just sitting on the ground close to the trails.

2. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I have not tried hunting from the ground in a natural blind myself. But I am trying to hunt out of a 12' ladder with some decent cover in a pine tree. I am finding it very difficult to make any movement with out getting noticed. It seems the woods have been extra queit lately and every little sound puts the deer on edge. Just like in a ground blind they seemingly have a 6th sense that detect your movement even if there was no noise. If the conditions were right you might can pull it off. Good luck.

3. Xi, yes, I have done quite a bit of bowhunting on the ground in the past. With the new property I have been mostly using a climber as I try to pattern the deer. But when hunting on the ground I prefer to still hunt, pausing periodically for a little while (1/2 to 1 hour, depending on my gut feeling). There was a time when I could state that I had taken more deer on the ground than from a tree, but no more. I have never used a blind, preferring just my bow and a fanny pack with the essentials. Use wind and squirrel noise to your advantage when moving. If the leaves are noisy, and you have no choice, say in getting to your core area, try to walk or run like a deer. I have even hunted by walking in shallow streams when the leaves are too noisy. It's a little easier getting close during the rut.

4. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    I hunt on the ground 99% of the time( I've only been in a stand 5 times this year), I sit on a tripod seat and rarely use any kind of limbs for a blind. I have been hunting this way for a couple of years now. I have had deer close enough to touch and killed four so far this year, and also tagged out LBL this year for the first time. It takes some getting used to, but it really opens up your options. I feel I can get by with more movement on the ground. The main tip I can give is to use paint or a good face mask and gloves.

5. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
  6. swampchicken

swampchicken Fawn

Dec 13, 2010
    Clay Co.
    I mainly hunt out of a climbing stand, but sometimes I will bowhunt off the ground. I've been lucky enough to harvest 4 or 5 deer this way. 3-D camo, or Leafy Wear as I call it, makes a huge difference off the ground.

7. turkeyfever

turkeyfever 6 pointer

Mar 21, 2009
    I killed my first deer with a bow from the ground in October. I found a big oak tree, cleared all the leaves and brush around it, and setup behind it. I piled up a few branches on either side of it, and was able to get away with a bunch of movement because it was masked by the trunk of the tree and brush. As the deer I shot walked toward me, I drew from my knees, leaned out to the side of the tree, aimed and let fly at less than 15 yards. It was only a button buck, but man what a rush. I'll never forget that hunt.

8. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I am 53 now, I killed my first deer from the ground with a bow. It was a small 4 point Buck.

Bow hunting from the ground can be very hard, but fun if you are in the right place. Now I hunt from a treestand with my bow.

9. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Elitist Bowhunter

Feb 17, 2004
    at the Elite Level
    I mainly hunt from the ground. You don't necessarily need to hide behind something so much, having something big behind you is much better. I've killed a bunch of stuff using this method. Try setting up in front of a big tree and get some smaller brushy stuff in front of you. Sit still and see what happens. You'll be surprised, and have a heck of a time.

10. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I agree with these guts Xi. You dont need to hunt a stand to kill deer.
    I used to be scared to death of tree stands, so 98% of the deer I have killed
    were from the ground. Most were guns kills but a few with a bow and crossbow.
    Hunt the wind and slow your movement and cant wait to see the pics!

11. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Try hunting on the top of a ridge, that way you can shoot down at deer crossing in the bottom, I do that at a place where I gun hunt on the ground. I hunt on this finger that meets a creek at a good pinchpoint. I have good visibility on 3 sides and the deer often travel down in the creek bottom in front of me. Try to find a place like this.

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Been forced to the ground due to my knee surgeries,didnt have a pop-up blind so I built a natural ground blind.I didnt have much problem with deer but the turkeys busted me bad 3 or 4 times and got nailed by a coyote when I tried to draw but he was only 8 yards away!! Had lots of fun but was wishing I had a pop up blind and will next year,other than a ladder stand I doubt I will ever be in many deer stands again.

13. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I used to bunt off the ground all the time but just do it a little now. I find a deadfall or patch of brush to sit in where the wind will be right and hi it. Have had good luck on the ground especially during rifle season,bowhunting is hit and miss though. I just started stand bunting about 12 years ago and have been hunting since I was a little kid,so I have a lot of ground hunting experience.

14. wpf

wpf 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2007
    NKY
    Me and my buddy have both have had succes( him more than me) hunting from natural ground blinds wioth a bow. Seems moving into an area and setting up a man made blind is for the birds bow hunting bout the tiime they get into range they know something is up. He has more succes because he has been doing it for years im just learning but number one would be to , in the words of elmer fud be very very quiet, and still. I tend to look at it as if im turkey hunting set up a blind where im completley backdropped and dont even worry about that direction and move your head side to side in a time limit of about 1-2 minutes. just how ive been doing it, still prefer 15-20 foot up a tree for bow though.

15. N3tT3chMan

N3tT3chMan Spike

Sep 10, 2009
    Louisville
    I hunt from the ground... last year was my first year and i scored a 6 pointer... had another chance at another buck this year but he picked up on me and headed out.