Who bloodies up their young'un?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by semperhunting, Dec 10, 2009.

1. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    party pooper.

anyway. back when i got my first deer 6 years ago, my brother and his buddy talked about doing it to me. i thought they were crazy! when the deer was on the ground, they brought it up again, but they never did. at the time i was happy, but now that i look back on it, i almost wish they would have. would have made that memory that much sweeter! im sure i will be doing it to some young ones in the next few years. :)

2. millerhunter

millerhunter 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2009
    i have never heard of it. but if my dad did that to me when i killed my first deer i prolly would of never went hunting again

3. BriarBuster

BriarBuster 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2007
    NE KY
    I've never hear of anyone doing it around these parts but I can guaruntee ya my first attempt at gutting a deer by myself when i was a youngun' wasn't a pretty sight though...a face full of digested acorns and browse can really get ya in the right frame of mind early in the morning.:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

The tradition that I was exposed to when I began deer hunting was you had choice after your first kill. Take a bite out of the heart (raw) or have blood smeared on the face. The old wise tale was that it was an indian tradition and I was also told if you failed to do so would result in bad deer hunting luck. I have performed this on all three of my kids (1 boy and two girls) and they kill all kinds of deer but the ritual was never perfomed on me and I had a pretty stinky hunting career for the first few years after my first kill.

"stupid is what stupid does Mrs. Blue"
    Forrest Gump

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    We always just ended up with blood on our hands. Silly to smear it on your or anyone else's face IMO.

6. dipits

dipits 8 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Ky..
    I had it done to me in 1955 since then I have done
    Brother 1959
    wife 1967
    daughter 1973
    sister 1979
    nephew 1983
    nephew 1984
    Brother in law 1987
    great nephew 1999
    grand daughter 22004
    looked on pic. to get these dates of 1st. deer .
    Been many other friends. Also shot at a lot of hats for misses.
    May be stupid but I enjoy the memories.

7. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Amen brother.

8. outdoorsman_33

outdoorsman_33 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2008
    Anderson County
    I had it done to me when I shot my first big game animal (an elk). I am now 22. It is one of the greatest memories I have also. I was so proud of the cow elk that I shot that I totally forgot that I had blood on my face and I walked all around town with the blood still on my face. It wasn't until the evening when we were done getting it processed that I remembered that I had the blood on my face.

9. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I was done to me when I was young on my first deer and if I have a kid one day it will be done to him to. My hunting buddy done it to his kid this year after I said something about it lol and three other kids were all about it and they had a blast in the tradition and hopefully it will continue the tradition with them. IMO it all about the memories :D

10. Tarheeltransplant

Tarheeltransplant 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2008
    richmond, ky
    well I don't think its stupid and I marked my 13 y/o girl this past ML hunt at BGAD when she got her first deer (doe). She thought it was neat and we enjoyed the day. I never had anyone take me out and experince those kind of things so I making my own traditions with my family. Will do the same for my 5 and 2 y/o when they get theirs.

11. Colorado_Hunter

Colorado_Hunter 10 pointer

Nov 30, 2007
    Radcliff, Kentucky
    To most it's a family tradition, to others it doesn't make sense.

IMO everyone is entitled to their opinion and at the end of the day, it's a family decision if you want to do it.

12. bub901

bub901 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Kentucky
    I thinks it's great!
    I've still got my hat for my first miss! What a hole![​IMG]

13. tnlineman

tnlineman Spike

Oct 19, 2009
    never heard of it but I got two boys that are dieing to get their first deer and when they do the tradition will certainly begin in my family!! nice thread minus that STUPID remark

14. Hoyt_Chester

Hoyt_Chester Fawn

Oct 20, 2008
    Almo, Ky
    I was hunting with some buddies back in highschool that took me hunting for the first time. I shot a doe and when he showed me how to gut a deer..out of no were he drug his thumb over my head like that scene in the lion king and said its a first deer ritual so..i guess its true. It doesnt bother me tho..will do it to my kid one day :p

15. B.G.O. of Kentucky

B.G.O. of Kentucky 12 pointer

Nov 19, 2002
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    My dad did it to me, and I don't have kids, but the only person I was ever in the woods with for his first kill, well, he got the stripe on the cheek. He grinned from ear to ear. I mean good lord, it is a little spot of blood, if you can't handle it, don't hunt.