White bass runs

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Deer Hunter, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    Are there any white bass fishermen here on the forum. I was real fortunate to have got to fish a very outstanding white bass run every Spring from when i was 8 years old to 18 years old.

The creek i fished back then has filled in down stream and changed that run up. I haven't caught any white bass there since.

I am going to find some new places to fish for them though. I love catching them and eating them also !

Trapper Delk likes this.
  2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Yeah we use to hit them in green River 3 day trip going all the way to the lake in canoe, but they had a die off years ago and it's never been the same,.

3. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    I remember Robinson creek on green river lake. Take a handful of rooster tails and go fight for a spot. Like poster above said the die off probably ended that. Have been there for 35+ years

4. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter 10 pointer

Dec 6, 2003
    I live in NorthWest Arkansas close to the Arkansas river. I fished that river alot when i was a teenager. Mostly trotlines catching cat fish. Caught some cropy a few times but never tried to fish for white bass.

I have heard alot of people talk about catching white bass below the rock jetties that was put in when they started using the river for barge traffic.

Guess i will have to find a new white bass honey hole. I have a 2 and 1/2 year old grand daughter that i am going to make into a fisherman. So i am a man on a mission to find some hot spots for her to learn how to fish at !!!

I didn't know how lucky i was to have hot to fish that run all of thoes years i was growing up. It was spectacular. Some like you would read about in field and stream. From day light until 10 a.m every morning for about 4 to 6 weeks. Starting about mid March to the end of April you could catch a big white bass almost every cast. It wasn't nothing to catch at least 100 per fishermen. It doesn't get much better than that.

Rod S. likes this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    The best night of fishing I ever had in my life was Spring of my freshmen year of HS white bass fishing on Lake Linville near Mt. Vernon. People who grew up in some of those surrounding counties might remember that back in the 80s, early 90s it had a decent rep for white bass. No lies, my dad, cousin and I nearly sank a little Jon Boat we caught so many and none of them were small. I’m not sure what the limit laws were then but Im sure we broke it. Went back a few nights later and it was like turning a switch off, only caught like 12. Not sure what happened but I hear they’re just not there anymore. Maybe we caught em all? LOL! My cuz is 49, I’m 47 and dad is 78 and when we’re all 3 together that night always comes up. It was truly amazing. Currently, I got a few friends that still go and they hit Green River, Dix River, and occasionally Elkhorn.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Used to fish Cumberland. First the walleye run in March then white bass in April. Even fished the drum run in the summer a few times.

Good times.

Gforcetrivers and xbokilla like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Bee Rock Campground Area on Rockastle River was also a white bass hot spot back in the day. May still be, I just don’t fish much anymore.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Did a lot of stupid stuff around the Cumberland river. It's a good thing there were no cell phone cameras back then.

Feedman and xbokilla like this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Green River is dew a run its been quite a few years since the die off people still catch few in the lake but when it use to happen, they'd run up to Middleburg at the dam you could tie on anything with a hook and catch every cast

xbokilla likes this.
  10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

What's the limit on white bass these days? Used to be 65 years ago.

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's crazy. I don't know if I would go if I could only keep 15. We used to bring 80 to 100 out of there some days.

Meatstick likes this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
  14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Yep. And only 5 over 15".
    But the over 15" part is more directed at the hybrids I'm sure.

xbokilla likes this.
  15. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    May be why the runs are so weak nowadays