Whistling tree ducks?

TBo

Spike
Jan 16, 2018
West Ky
Anybody else been seeing these ducks around in western ky? Not supposed to be this far north. Know of several ponds around that had broods of these strange ducks this year. They’re called whistling tree ducks. Never had em before this year I know of.
D9FC29F3-8A1C-417A-BDD7-399B28EB17FE.jpeg

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Anybody else been seeing these ducks around in western ky? Not supposed to be this far north. Know of several ponds around that had broods of these strange ducks this year. They’re called whistling tree ducks. Never had em before this year I know of. View attachment 92379

They look like geese to me, strange ones. I cannot be sure, but I think that a stuffed one may be over in a prominent private hunting club bordering Ballard WMA. Haven't been in a while and there were way too many to recall now. May text the manager with inquiry or simply ask next visit, but it would be worth a call next week to Frankfort with inquiry. Try to manage more photos in the meantime. Difficult to see them within that one. A nice one is within this link:

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/whistling-ducks

TBo

Spike
Jan 16, 2018
West Ky
They look like geese to me, strange ones. I cannot be sure, but I think that a stuffed one may be over in a prominent private hunting club bordering Ballard WMA. Haven't been in a while and there were way too many to recall now. May text the manager with inquiry or simply ask next visit, but it would be worth a call next week to Frankfort with inquiry. Try to manage more photos in the meantime. Difficult to see them within that one. A nice one is within this link:

https://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/whistling-ducks
That’s exactly what they look like. Had better pics but guess I’ve deleted them. They have finally matured and flown away somewhere. Watched them for a couple months. They loved to set on tree limbs and snags out in pond. All my neighbors had them. We’ve all been discussing and watching them. Actually called black belly whistling tree ducks. They’re newly arrived around our area I’m sure.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
That’s exactly what they look like. Had better pics but guess I’ve deleted them. They have finally matured and flown away somewhere. Watched them for a couple months. They loved to set on tree limbs and snags out in pond. All my neighbors had them. We’ve all been discussing and watching them. Actually called black belly whistling tree ducks. They’re newly arrived around our area I’m sure.

That is really cool !

BootsOn27

6 pointer
Oct 13, 2011
A feller up the road shot one in a slough off the river a couple years back. I ran into a few while fishing down south...odd looking creatures. Didn't seem very "agile" compared to most ducks.

Reactions: TBo

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
A feller up the road shot one in a slough off the river a couple years back. I ran into a few while fishing down south...odd looking creatures. Didn't seem very "agile" compared to most ducks.

We certainly do have quite a few strangly colored critters down south. I recall becoming bored with shooting the guys one day, causing me to wander off onto one of the jetties for a break. I came across one really strange bird on the boulders, a mix match of colors like these but more bizarre. No idea what it was. Wasn't too interested in learning back then, but I'm sure that I will return to those photos and eventually learn, just like I'm sure I"ll be scoping out more birds upon eventual return, now...

Latest posts