which semi-auto .308?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by corndogggy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I really like those and have shot one before. Am kind of concerned with maintenance, having to take it in for the receiver to be worked on, feeling the need to swap a bunch of parts out, etc. Then there's the scout, normal, loaded, match, super, M21... have no idea what the best choice is. Probably a scout squad in walnut but even those are 9.3 pounds stripped. Then I have to go through a bunch of crap to get an optic rail on top.

2. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Shooters in Paducah has what seems to be a M1A national match with a stainless barrel for $1,650. That's actually a great deal if it is a national match, as buds sells them for $2,000. That's not normal for them so I imagine it's probably a stainless "loaded" model and they wrote some stuff about it having a national match barrel and national match trigger trying to pull it off as a full on national match.

I like the idea, but it felt like picking up a log that happened to have a barrel in it. Really big around and entirely too heavy. They had a scout squad in synthetic that felt much better but if I was going to spend $1,600 on a plastic gun surely there are better and more modern choices. Did have a Sig R716 that felt great, but it is $2,000 and must have been on the shelf for a long time, as they don't even make the magpul stock that is on it. If I were going to spend $2,000 plus tax I'd just get a SCAR, would only be about $500 more at that point.

3. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

Gun prices are getting out of my league nowadays. My brother and I bought a Springfield M1A1 about 25 years ago and we paid $850 for it. It was just the basic model with the fiberglass stock and we did buy a surplus stock for it but we wouldn't get rid of that rifle for love nor money. I tend to prefer a heavier rifle myself just because I don't feel like I wobble as much when shooting offhand. We mostly target shoot and when you stand there shooting a magazine of 20 rounds it gets to be a chore, but I like it!:) If I were walking around all day I guess the SCAR would be the way to go but the price is just far to much for me to be able to justify it. I guess in the end it will be what you, yourself would prefer. What ever you decide I wish you luck. A new gun is always a welcome thing.

4. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    25 years ago you could get a brand new jeep wrangler for $8,000 and some change.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Heck, I can't believe the difference in price on the Wranglers from 10 years ago to today. They're pricing them like they're a luxury car now.

But I will say that I got an offer in the mail a few weeks ago to give me the full purchase price back on my Wrangler that I had purchased 10 years ago. Too bad I sold it about 5 years ago.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Heck, they are a luxury car. They even have the same Mercedes transmission found in some of their supercars and V12 luxury cars, as well as some supercharged Jaguars. A $250,000 Mercedes C216 with a V12 has the same tranny as a Wrangler now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012