which semi-auto .308?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by corndogggy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Looking for a military-ish type of semi-auto .308. About all I can come up with that I care to have, in the order of my top choices:

FN SCAR 17

Springfield M1A

Armalite AR-10

LWRC R.E.P.R.

Larue OBR

Knights SR-25

DPMS Compact Hunter

DPMS S.A.S.S.

POF P308

CMMG MK3

Leaning heavily towards the SCAR 17. I do not like the reciprocating charging handle and proprietary design though. The M1A is cool but am concerned with maintenance. AR-10 seems like a safe bet but there's the whole proprietary aluminum magazine thin that I don't like. REPR's are cool but expensive and heavy. OBR's look kind of dumb and way overpriced and overmarketed but I guess they're nice. Knight's is friggin expensive. DPMS needs no explanation. POF and CMMG I am totally unfamiliar with but have read a review saying there's well known problems with CMMG's way of mounting the handguard and the screws come loose all the time.

Any thoughts? I will rarely have the chance to shoot beyond 250 yards and am not exactly a range rat so high precision isn't necessary. Would rather have it lighter. That's kind of why I'm leaning towards the scar. I guess a stripped down AR-10 would be similar but not nearly as cool.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. Scar for what you want. If you ever decide you want long range you won't beat an OBR, then next the SR-25

3. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Sure you can beat them! You can have a custom for what they cost, with some left over.

4. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Buds has a used AR 10 on there web site for 1499$ right now.

5. Of course with custom, but not out of the ones he listed.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    They're pretty good...especially for the difference in price between it and most of the high end .308s. No need for the longer barrel for those ranges if you're wanting to keep the weight down. You'll lose a fair amount of speed, but the target won't know the difference. Are you set on a .308? You know you could do a 6.5 Grendel or similar and stay on the ar15 platform. It'd be plenty and be lighter and less money for the same options vs. the ar10 and others.
    The AR10 or 15 is a very capable platform. We simply takes our chances whenever we buy a factory gun, as to how well the barrel/gun performs. You could have a billet upper and lower, with some extra goodies, and a top of the line barrel in the ar15 platform for less than most of the better 308 semi's cost. Just something to think about, which doesn't matter if you just want to stay with the .308s.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm set on using whatever is necessary to be completely comfortable with taking a trophy deer from 200 yards away. I wouldn't hesitate at all with the Winchester 70 in 30-06 I normally hunt with, but it isn't technically mine so some issues come up. I have my own land 1.5 hours from where the 70 is, plus my dad likes to tweak the scope at the last minute for some reason. I just want the same confidence in a semi-auto without getting very heavy. If that's not an issue with a 6.5 Grendel or similar then no I don't guess I'm stuck on it.

9. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    There are quite a few AR-15 sized options for you in the 200 yard deer category. 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPCII, .30 RAR, .30 OSSM, .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, .50 Beowulf... & those are just the popular ones.

10. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I guess I liked the idea of a .308 because I can go to Wal-Mart or any other place that carries ammo and have about 10 different choices. Pretty much everything else you listed here has to be ordered online and last I checked with the 6.8 the choices were rather slim even then. I'm not a reloader and don't plan to be anytime soon so easy availability of ammo is on my wish list.

11. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

M1A1 w/fiberglass stock. Plenty of after market stuff avaliable if you want to trick it out. Extra mags won't break the bank either.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Maybe I need to give up on the AR style and be looking at a Browning BAR. Semi-auto .308 that only weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces and could be an hierloom, with a street price of about $1,000. Those things shoot and handle well in the field?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=002B&cid=031&tid=534

... or an FNAR, which is basically a tacticool Browning BAR with rails and a 20 round mag.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...N+FNAR+.308+Win.+20"+Light+Fluted+Barrel+20+1

13. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Not in my experience. I wouldn't give ya $100 for a BAR, based on the ones I've shot. (Poor accuracy.)

14. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

I would think that an M1A1 would be one heck of a Family Heirloom!:D