which rim fire to buy

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Im looking to buy a new rim fire rifle looking at the Henry lever action or maybe the semi auto pistol i think its called the striker but i cant find them on the net . dont know if i want a 17 cal or a reg 22.i dont own a 17 but do have 22 mag and 22 long rifle .and suggestions?

trader rob

8 pointer
Apr 5, 2004
ne ky..
i have had a henry lever for about 4 years, it is a youth model. i really like it. for dog training and plinking i use it most every day in the fall.

i use a ruger 10 22 most to hunt with, i have one i have killed probably 200 squirrels with.

out of a dozen or so they are the ones i use most.

i have a couple 22 pistols, i like them but they are not too practical for hunting. i buy one every couple years to use hunting, but keep going back to the rifle.

the 17 can't do anything more than the magnum, although they are a fun round.

jeffb

8 pointer
Oct 27, 2006
hancock county
I have an old Stevens s/a, a Thompson Center s/a, a Browning s/a, a Ruger 77/22, a CZ 452 american, and a Ruger 22/45 pistol. The old stevens is a beater I have had forever but doesn't see much use anymore. The Thompson Center I really don't care much for and the only reason I keep it is it was a gift. Never have been able to get it to group to my satisfaction. The old belgium browning is a fun gun to shoot and I really like the looks of the gun. This is probably my favorite but is by no means the most accurate. The 77/22 seems to be a fine gun but I have only had it about a month so I haven't had much of a chance to get an opinion on it. The CZ is a shooting machine. Very accurate, nice lines. If I was buying a new hunting rifle I would buy another CZ. The 22/45 is a nice pistol. You get 3 clips with it which is a nice addition.

I don't have a lever gun like the Henry you mentioned. I have looked at the Browning bl-22 and really like them. Give us an update on what you buy. I always like to hear the opinions of actual gun owners and shooters.

tkbuck

6 pointer
Nov 20, 2004
If I was buying a new 22 it would be the CZ 452 American. Very accurate gun and I like the looks of them to.

Marmot_Militia

6 pointer
Aug 31, 2005
Are you thinking "Charger"?

Im looking to buy a new rim fire rifle looking at the Henry lever action or maybe the semi auto pistol i think its called the striker but i cant find them on the net . dont know if i want a 17 cal or a reg 22.i dont own a 17 but do have 22 mag and 22 long rifle .and suggestions?

The Charger is the semi auto pistol based on the 1022 from Ruger.

www.rimfirecentral.com is probably the best place to ask.

I have had several of each and like the 17M2. The 22mag was the worst accuracy wise, but packs the biggest punch. There are a lot of things you can do to the Rugers to make them your own.

Be careful of the 17HMR in semi auto, they have problems firing when not in battery...not a good thing. It has to do with the length of the cartridge and timing of the hammer strike. Too early of a hammer strike means the bolt is open when the primer is struck.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Regards,
MM

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
I'd be careful buying any .17 Rimfires. With what is going on currently with the "shortages" of ammo, the companies might discontinue loading some calibers of ammo, inorder to load up the more popular calibers.

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Along those lines, is anyone having problems finding .22lr cartridges? My inlaws called last night and left me a message about finding them some. I haven't talked to them, so I don't know exactly what they're talking about, but I figured I'd check on that aspect while I was on here.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
You want looks and accuracy, go with the CZ 452 American. Wow.

You want cheap and dependable, go with the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin bolt.

You want an investment, buy a used Remington 541, Cooper, an old Winchester 52 or 75, sit back and watch the value go up.

I haven't played with any of the 17's but I can't think of much the old 22 LR can't do for me. Cheap and plentiful ammo (usually, and will be again) and the barrels last several lifetimes.

headoftheholler

12 pointer
Oct 16, 2007
Getshot, KY
I will throw the Marlin 39A in. A little pricey but will last several lifetimes, will shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles, laser accurate, lever action quickness, and all 39A's are breakdown models to boot.
2nd choice would be a Browning BL22.
Andrew

I just took my Savage Mark II-G out again today. The more I shoot this rifle, the more I like it. I have a 4x32 Nikon on it, and I was easily tearing up a 16 oz. plastic water bottle at over 110 yards. I didn't shoot any paper, but I'd bet it shoots 1-2 MOA. Nicest bolt .22 I've ever owned for sure. The only complaint I have is I occasionally have a failure to feed. But I think it is my fault due to short-shucking the bolt. Their support is top notch too; I called about the FTF's when I first got it and they sent me a new magazine at no charge to see if that might fix it.
mark11g.jpg

dbd870

6 pointer
Jun 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm sort of there myself - I have 22lr's and a 22Mag. A guy has a CZ452 American for sale in 17HMR and I'm kicking around the idea of picking it up.

ricky280

Fawn
Dec 29, 2008
The Lane, KY
I will throw the Marlin 39A in. A little pricey but will last several lifetimes, will shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles, laser accurate, lever action quickness, and all 39A's are breakdown models to boot.
2nd choice would be a Browning BL22.
Andrew
I couldn't agree more on the 39A, I have owned one nearly 40 yrs and it was used when I got it,hard to beat the old 39A'S.

Latest posts