Which rifle for elk hunting?

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Clifford Reynolds, Mar 22, 2019.

1. minixjt

minixjt Spike

Jul 10, 2018
    Paintsville, KY
    Where will you be hunting the elk at ? Hardest part here is getting a tag!!
    Generally I like the Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless. For elk I'd go with 30.06, 7mm or 300WM. the 4inch barrel difference will make it handle different between the catridges and you'd save quite a bit of money off your price point. The factory trigger isn't terrible (changed mine out to a Timney though).
    Or you'd be hard pressed if you already have a top of the line scope (around your rifle price point) to get a Bergera Premier, true top of the line barrel w/ a trigger tech trigger from the factory.
    They make so many good rifles now it's really all about which one fits you best, and apart from accuracy, I'd put rifle "fit" as #2 on the priority list

If you're elk hunting out west in bear country, Montana, Wyoming. I'm getting the itch to start making a pilgrimage out there next year and Lord willing thereafter. I'd always opt for larger cross sectional diameter(308-338), CRF and barrell on the shorter (22-24) side w/ lower power 2-8x scope for my preference at least.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Last year I used my 30 year old Remington 7mm Remington Magnum with 4x12x40 Leupold Scope and Primos Tripod hunting stick. My ammo was Federal Premium 165 Grain and we noticed some pretty large pieces of lead on the hid of the elk. I was told to buy Bonded Bullets and now I see why because the hide is so tough. I hit my Elk twice behind the shoulder and he only went about 50 yards. Could not believe the bullet didn't make it all the way through until I saw the gut pile.

Attached Files:

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    they can suck up some lead for sure.

4. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm a savage guy myself. I don't mess with the axis line though. I'll be hunting elk in CO this year with my Savage 111 chambered in .270win. I've got no worries. It's my deer rifle. Bullet makeup is a lot more important. Case in point is the wide spread acceptance of the 7-08 for elk hunting. Tons of guys I know use that caliber for elk hunting.

5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I made a trip out west in 92. Mule Deer were the main target with elk as a bonus. I had the smallest gun with a 7mmRem Mag. All the other Ky boys had a 300 Weatherby or Winchester. The natives we met out there (Colorado) had a .243, 8mm Mauser and a 30-06.... Magnumitis! I would take the 7mm-08!

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I like the 300 RUM but I would put a break on it before you shoot it. My first choice would be a lightly used Savage with an Acu trigger.

7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Savage is the most accurate rifle "out of the box" you can buy for a decent price. I like the acu-trigger.

xbokilla and shaman like this.
  8. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    +1
    KYHillChick was looking for a way to get into shooting at a distance. I bought her a Savage in 30-06. I had her blowing up milk jugs at 450 yards in less than an hour. The Accutrigger is amazing.

JR PORTER and Carl like this.
  9. Pollcat

Pollcat 8 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    My wife drew a week 1 bull elk tag this year. She's been shooting a savage axis in .308 with a timney trigger topped by a Nikon. She's been shooting the reduced recoil ammo through it and has killed several bucks with it. She's comfortable with the gun.....my question is, is it enough gun and what ammo should we re-zero with.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    It’s enough gun. Hornady Precision Hunter 178 gr. Easy to find shell and will do just fine. Post pics when she kills a whopper!

11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Yeah! Lots of luck with that!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    elkaholic and xbokilla like this.
  12. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    For this task, my ideal rifle would be a Kimber Mountain Ascent or a Bergara Highlander. Either one chambered in 280AI. Lightweight guns for carrying in the hills & mountains and that round is absolutely devastating on large game at distances farther than I'd even be comfortable shooting at this time.

Both are at your limit of spending on the money side and both as close to a custom rifle as you can get out of production firearms. They're at the pinnacle IMO.

xbokilla likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    more than enough gun. i would go with a premium/bonded bullet, but the cheaper ones take a lot of elk also. nosler partition or accubond, swift A frame, TB bear claw. 165-180 gr., sight it in for 250 and good luck to her.

xbokilla likes this.
  14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Browning Bar loaded with 5 cartridges of old Remington 165 grain round nose

15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    More than enough gun! On two occasions I’ve witnessed first hand what the .308 will do to an Elk. You’ll be good to go!