Which Caliber

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Apr 7, 2017.

1. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Muzzle blast is a bigger part of perceived recoil than most people realize. For that reason, I would not suggest the 25-06. Its a great deer round and shoots flat and that big case allows alot of powder to push that .25 bullet at warp speed but it also makes a big flash.
    I prefer the 243 for the kids as its a little less recoil than the other 2. I even shot a decent buck this year with a 243.
    If you reload, go with the 260 as its just a cool round. Flat shooting, a little heavier bullets than the other 2 and like the 243, is a short action round so you dont have to have a long action. I assume a short action could help make a rifle a little easier for small frames like women and children to maneuver.
    If you dont reload, go 243, it has much better availability at walmart, and its a great deer killer out to 200 yards or more.

Georgia Transplant likes this.
  2. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    My experience on this with two of my own boys, a girl, and several buddies kids, Get em a nice rifle that will always be good for them..... If they are taught to shoot right, and you don't go buy them a big time magnum load it will be fine. Both my boys used 308, 270, 30.06, and 12 gauge slug in Ohio from ages 7 up taking deer with each and never having a bruised shoulder. Big thing is let them practice, and hunt some small game with other guns to get confident around guns... I think youth rifles are a huge waste of money. IMO.

bondhu likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My 25.06 in 700 classic kicks like a mule.

4. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    A Ruger 243 is what my 13 year old shoots. He got his 1st 8 pointer with it when he was 9 yr old. There's no kick which equals no flinch.

bdbrown66 likes this.
  5. mrjohn12

mrjohn12 Fawn

Jun 1, 2016
    The .243 is a great starter gun for young people or smaller framed hunters. Nothing wrong with the .243. It is a popular and successful choice for the very largest deer.

bdbrown66 likes this.