Where will hunting be in ten years or so?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by RIDGERUNNER35, Nov 30, 2019.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South

This about sums up our changing rural life. Great song

Dark Cloud likes this.
  2. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I’ve told this on here before, but in 2016 we took a family trip to FL. We were mostly at Ft. Lauderdale and Daytona Beach. It was next to impossible to get the kids to look up from their phones. A new game (Pokémon Go) had recently come out, and that’s all anybody cared about. I saw kids get buck fever, from catching a character in a game.
    I remember thinking that it was gonna be hard for hunting to compete with that.

3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Public is not bad. I've ran into very few people in my limited experience, most were nice, the rest were idiots that I'm amazed they dressed themselves and found the forest. That's the beautiful thing about concealed carry. Doesn't matter if you're 6'2" 300# or 4'10" 95# (;)) it makes no difference. Hope it wouldn't keep you from enjoying a great resource.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  4. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Dont get me wrong, ive carried for about 10 years. And of course carry in the woods on top of my hunting rig. But its just different carrying in a public space or urban area vs. Public type areas of woods. Guns are a great equalizer, but if i went public woods id definitely have a partner with me.

5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I've been called a lot of things in my years. Never an old timer. I guess I can add that to the list.

hoene, Feedman and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    My best guess is it will still be in the woods.

7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    I dont consider myself an old timer either. But i guess everyone could be an old timer if you are like 12 or something.

hoene likes this.
  8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    A useful piece of tech people could add to the business would be a small tracking device that fits on an arrow and splinters off when you hit a deer. So it can be tracked with your phone's gps system.
    I would approve of that because we owe it to our quarry.

9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    There's an idea. I'd get behind that. Kinda shocked it ain't out there yet, now that you brought it up

10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah. In 10 years That should be affordable and with better marketing. And also--work with an app on your phone, instead of a seperate device.

11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    I have a long list of great ideas that have already came out under someone elses name. Would have never dreamed of the pool noodle though.

12. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    kyhunter99 likes this.
  13. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

I have no clue where hunting will be in 10-20 years but I hope things change for the better. Hunter recruitment is low, small game hunting is at an all time low, and social media is not helping. Reputable companies are giving money to bikini clad “huntresses” and roided-out guys with no sense of conservation. The general public is obsessed with the personification of animals while at the same time dehumanizing each other. We try to appease the masses by calling our kills “harvests” as if somehow they’ll be more accepting and social media covers up images of hunting as if they’re horrific.

I have hope though. I see grass roots groups being formed that teach conservation and educate people on the traditions of hunting. More women are getting into the outdoors and not just deer hunting. People are taking more interest in Public Lands and legislation is being passed to protect outdoorsmen. So there is hope on the horizon. But it will come from the average hunter and not from the “hunting industry”.

14. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I never thought I'd be one either, but every year I feel more like one!

hoene and kyhunter99 like this.