Where will hunting be in ten years or so?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by RIDGERUNNER35, Nov 30, 2019.

1. RIDGERUNNER35

RIDGERUNNER35 Fawn

Apr 19, 2012
    Harlan, county
    Was sitting around thinking today just how much hunting has changed since I started 25 years ago. Back in the day it wasn’t about the antler size, they wasn’t all these crazy hunting shows , and high dollar clothes you had to wear. Hunters were proud to kill basket size bucks, they wasn’t all this hype. Now you have all these hunting leases, hunting clubs. It’s about the money now. We are losing more public land that we use to hunt , hunting license and tags are getting higher every year. I love the sport of hunting it’s in my blood but this younger generation with all the electronics and other stuff they indulge in . I’m afraid that hunting will lose a lot of popularity. Just my opinion. I truly wonder what ten more years or twenty will bring.

Thomas Roberts, model70 and davers like this.
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Theres a chance some of the antler hunters are going to lose interest, especially the ones that dont like the meat and already have a wall full of big deer. I flat out love the meat and enjoy killing a big boy every now and then.

Munson, Jason1977, bigbonner and 4 others like this.
  3. Grago

Grago 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I agree with all you say years ago was a lot more fun to me if i live i will probably be at the same place i have hunted this farm for 53 years if i dont get better this year will be my last i wouldnt trade the memories and the memories of people i have hunted with for anything technology has really come a long way
    I could be in texas and get a picture sent to my phone from my stand here in ky
    We were talking about this the other day
    I remember camo we had wad either what the army had or green flannel
    First climbing stand i had was a mighty mite barely had enough room in it to stand
    But then goin father back than that just a plain old wood built stand
    I have spent a many of a day finding a tree i could just climb and sitting in the forks of 2 limbs
    Usually a pine
    I am glad to have lived in those times bucks were few and as you said a person was tickled to death to kill any buck they could

Brody, bigbonner, timer and 2 others like this.
  4. Grago

Grago 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I was also gonna say in the mid to late 60's no one really knew anything about deer here first season in this county was 64
    They thought however many points they had was how old they were They would also hang them by back legs cut their throat right under their chin to bleed out like they did hogs have to chuckle when i think of that

Brody and RIDGERUNNER35 like this.
  5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    I think theyll add alot more tech to deer. Probably an app that coordinates with your trail cams to estimate patterns of certain deer you are after. Itll all be on a gps mock map or something stupid.

Its just going to get richer and dumber and take away all of what used to make it enjoyable for old timers.

6. RIDGERUNNER35

RIDGERUNNER35 Fawn

Apr 19, 2012
    Harlan, county
    I miss the old times, the check stations, I’m trying to teach my boy it isn’t the size of the horns. It’s the love of the hunt, the respect of the game you take and eat what you kill

rockhousehunter, DaveO, Brody and 3 others like this.
  7. Grago

Grago 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    miss the check stations i know a lot of people hated them and i can see that if you waited in line with people you didnt know But ours was a little country store / cafe where everybody hung it no line waiting everyone looking in the back of trucks or whatever you knew if a good one was killed in the area a lot of non hunters there just to look at the deer most people knew each other but even if they didnt know you they would congratulate you on your deer big crowd in the mornings and big crowds after dark to see what everybody had it was a lot of hype

I wrote this the other day on the telecheck thread im gonna shut up now i love talking about the old days tho maybe in the futures scopes you put it on the deer and push a button and its locked on to hit no way to miss

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    In 10 years deer hunting...
    Will be in the fields and woods.

RIDGERUNNER35 likes this.
  9. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Don't forget the drones....scout from the house with infrared. Bucks cruising yet? Fly it out and check for a heat sig!

kyhunter99 and RIDGERUNNER35 like this.
  10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Hunting number will still be declining! Homos will rule the country and Democrats will of starved to death!

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I remember my mother telling me stories about My grandfather taking her and my two uncles which were only five or six years old, building them a fire in the woods and leaving as he proceeded to go hunting. Deer meat was like gold.. I also remember her talking about them getting a lot of hot toddies. That was 50 years ago Things sure have changed a lot

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. RIDGERUNNER35

RIDGERUNNER35 Fawn

Apr 19, 2012
    Harlan, county
    Maybe so, but change is happening and I believe for the worst.

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    In 10 years have to hunt in sub divisions. All the farm land divided up and built on.

xbokilla likes this.
  14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I was watching a Kentucky afield episode this month where they use wireless cell cameras connected to locking mechanisms to remotely trap hogs on site. Within seconds the Biologist could identify a decent group of hogs in trap and drop door all through his cell phone. As Kyhunter99 mentioned above I believe in a couple years some people will be able to locate and pattern certain target bucks with extreme accuracy thru multiple wireless cams. Big horns will be the objective for these type of hunters that often have fat wallets.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Let people hunt! We’ve had these discussions before and my opinion remains the same...there’s some land hogs out there that buy up land for no other reason that to own it so no one else will. I know of many instances. If you own an abundance of land let some people hunt. Not having a place to hunt is the biggest factor in hunter decline.