Where to buy a real good country ham

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by High Rack, Dec 1, 2019.

1. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    I bought what I thought was a bagged country ham from Cracker barrel until I got the box home and found out it was a fully cooked Country ham. I know, it was a bonehead move, but a good ham nothing-less, but not what I wanted in a good cured smoked country ham.
    I did find Brownings online that has what I am looking for, cured for at least a year. Kinda limited around these parts for getting the real deal, where do you guys get your Hams?

2. I send these out every year. Unless you know somebody killing hogs who knows what they’re doing I highly recommend them.

https://www.broadbenthams.com/

3. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Reckon Barney would sell us one?

barney likes this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Uh hummmn , do you need my mailing address:)
    I can only afford Harper or Cliffty Farms hams.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I sure wish I had one this year! It'll be a Clifty Farms this Christmas. I don't think Harper's are back in business after the fire.

bigbonner and drakeshooter like this.
  6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I'm a big fan of Father's Country Hams

7. Treat yourself man, you will 100% not regret it! I know an old man who sells his country hams for $150+ and sells all he makes every winter.

042D3E2A-278A-40AB-BD5D-201422F0A99E.png

barney likes this.
  8. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I thought I saw a Harper in Save a Lot a couple weeks ago , It was only one ham .
    It may have been from before the fire but to me ham is not at its best until it is two years old.
    When I cured my own hams and salted/ sugar cure them down and after they aged for 1.5 to 2 years . I could cut one open and see white deposits of salt. Makes me want to get a hog to kill and make my own hams again. I also salted down my shoulders to. I would slice them for breakfast.

HCDH66, Bee, Dark Cloud and 3 others like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I haven't cured any shoulder in years. I started canning one, and put the other in sausage from each hog. But I sure remember how good they were straight from the smokehouse!

Brody, HCDH66, bigbonner and 2 others like this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    A lot of people don't salt their shoulder but I always did , they are missing out one some good eating there .
    I would put black pepper, red pepper and borax on my hams and wrap after they hung for a while and just before spring hit and re hung them to age.
    After I wrapped the shoulder and hams you would sometimes have to feel to see which was a ham and which was a shoulder. Paper would be soaked with grease from the aging ham and on the floor underneath there was most usually a grease drip spot on the floor. Opening the paper up and you would see hairy mold and some think they have spoiled but no , that mold only meant it aged good.

bondhu, HCDH66, Bee and 3 others like this.
  11. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I haven't tried it but, I've had a couple people tell me the ones they sell at Kentucky gun company are really good.

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I think they are good.

13. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    They Salt or sugar cured? I don't think much of the sugar cured ham but, I grew up on the salt cured so I think it's the only real country ham.

HCDH66, Winchester94 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Salt. I think they are Keenes hams.

15. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    About the Red Pepper.
    My Dad always used it, said it kept the Skippers away. You know. But I have seen bugs of some sort attracted to Red Pepper. You can't leave it uncapped or they will be there.
    Barney? Bigbonner? What say you?

bondhu, Bee and barney like this.