Where do yee all buy your vet supplies?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by richief, Oct 15, 2016.

1. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    was wondering what is a good place with good prices for vet supplies, online would be easiest for us. Thanks in advance

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    What exactly do you mean by vet supplies - for a dog? Dewormer, heart worm medicine, flea and tick preventative, etc.?

3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    IMG_0842.JPG Yes dogs right now, a hound got to my fem shepherd.
    Thought while I was asking to just say vet supply because will have livestock soon too.

RackedUP likes this.
  4. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Anyone want a pup? Bitch is full gsd, dog is presumed a hound. Prob bring a couple to london flea market next weekend. IMG_0843.JPG

5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    For pups I use Safe-Guard goat dewormer that I get at Rural King. For heartworms I use Ivermectin for cattle and swine also from Rural King. Of course, user assumes all risk when using off-label medication.

I reckon you are referring to vaccines. I've heard jefferspet.com is good, but I've never used them.

I like this ol'boys site for general beagle health information. Go to "More Options" then "Beagle Health." He tells his regiment for pups and breaks down the dosage.
    http://pawpawskennels.m.webs.com

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Thanks Ky Swamp Beagler.
    Thats just what I needed!

7. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    One word of caution on the Ivermectin. Some Collie-type dogs are Ivermectin intolerant. I had a Border Collie mix that couldn't handle Ivermectin.

I wanted to make sure to tell you that because the dog you posted as the likely sire looked to have Collie in him.

Here are some other sites with good information. The two charts should tell you some Ivermectin alternatives.

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1086

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1622&aid=778

8. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Thanks again, I will read up on it. Thinking that dog is a Finnish Spitz squirel dog.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    One other thing, if you decide to just get your vaccines locally, make sure to bring along a little cooler to keep the vaccines chilled. I use a lunch box with one ice pack at the bottom.

I usually walk right in to Rural King with the little lady's leopard print lunch satchel, put the vaccines in it and then walk to the counter and pay. You might get a few looks, but at least you know they'll stay chilled.

richief likes this.
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    It's been a few years but Jeffers was busted at one point for selling vaccines that hadn't been kept cool. Lots of dogs died from diseases (parvo, etc.) that they shouldn't have caught. I'd assume they've taken corrective steps now to ensure the safety of their vaccines but....

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, check & see if they have vaccination clinics once a month or so. Ours does & the shots are just about cheaper than you can do them yourself. Not sure if they offer other stuff or not.

As for me personally, I just cough up the bucks & take my dogs to the vet. You never know when you're going to need emergency help at night or on a weekend & they're a lot more willing to help when they know you & your dogs.

11. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I've heard the same with collies and ivermectin. I use it on my lab though. Can't help with online supplies.

12. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    My dad almost killed our Collie with Ivomec, she got over it but it took a couple days. I second a good relationship with your local vet. I've got ours home and cell number. Awful handy when your idiot niece accidentally backs over one in your driveway at 11 o'clock at night.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Having a good relationship with an old-time country vet is always good, but I prefer to handle the vaccines, deworming and other minor jobs. I'd say dad's been doctoring hounds since the late 60s, early 70s.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016