Where do they go?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by gobblergetter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I was just checking out a trail cam pic of a deer that hasn't been seen since bow season on cam but now he's shown up again. It got me to thinking a bit. It amazes me how deer just disappear during the season. You can hunt all day long for days on end and not see deer all the time you know they are there somewhere but never seeing them. Does it ever make you wonder how they do that? Its really incredible if you stop to think abou it. Just thought I'd see what you all thought.

2. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    They may take a cruise or something..LOL...Seriously though, I have a friend that had been seeing deer on his trail came but now, nothing is showing up. I figure with this chilly temps moving across the state, the deer should be active and showing up more and more.

3. It sounds as if the buck you are referencing in your post has your property as his core area. I would say during the rut he wandered around a lot looking for receptive does. Now that the majority of the does have been bred he has probably come back to his core area to settle down for the winter and restore some fat on nearby food sources.

On another note, it is amazing to see how deer can appear and disappear in what seems like a flash. My granddad and I were talking about this very thing on Sunday evening and he said, "they don't call them the gray ghost for nothing." I think he is right. :D

4. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    Had the same thing happen to us with a buck we have pics of from Aug till 1 week before gun season and now just this past week---where ever he went he almost didn't come back, he has a gun wound high in his back

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    They share the same tunnels that coots use for migrating. ;)

6. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    Deer travel where the food and LOVE takes them.

7. BriarBuster

BriarBuster 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2007
    NE KY
    They don't go anywhere, thats the problem!:) Pressure had taken its toll on the deer around my place, think they are part vampires.

8. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Where i hunt in lewis county, the deer will not come out in fields during daylight, atleast i have not seen it. I have stopped watching fields completely. The deer stay in the thickest cover there is and wont come out till dark. Find a tree in the bushiest stuff you can find and get up high enough to see everything and just wait.

9. Algenco

Algenco 8 pointer

Jan 15, 2006
    Nancy

no, coots take a bus at night:D

there was study done in Texas years ago with radio collars on several bucks.
    The bucks spent most of the year in the same core area but relocated for the rut, one moved 10 miles and spent the rut in a 1 sq mile area.
    All of the bucks returned to the core area after the rut was over

10. tycoon52

tycoon52 Fawn

Nov 2, 2009
    Whitesburg, Ky
    Three of us just hunted for two days in Owen County and did not see a deer. Not only did we not see a deer, we did not see any sign. No tracks at the usual crossings, none where they come out of the river, nowhere.

We hunted a wide area as we have a 200 acre lease and never even got flagged. We decided that they had moved off our farm and went to nearby food plots, but realized that not every one of the deer on the farm would do this or we should, at least, see where they had traveled through.

We did see a lot of fox squirrels and enjoyed walking through the woods, that is until we found out that someone had stolen my brother's new blind (left his seat, though).

I told my fellow hunters that I would pose this problem to the forum, so consider it posed, lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    This time of the year, deer really key on food sources. That's why when you find them, you normally find a whole pile of them.

12. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Simply put, deer are masters at the game of survival. When they begin to feel the pressure of hunting season it seems they go underground.

13. Green Arrow

Green Arrow 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2009
    NKY
    seasons change and so do survival strategies.