Where can I buy bobwhite quail?

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Hey guys I'm getting ready to start a 50 acre plot for quail and dove. We have a few wild quail now but we're looking to boost the population. Do you know where I can buy some birds?

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Try Dewitt's in NC.....have you considered going with eggs instead if young birds?

Yea Earnheart... Im looking for instant gratification! LOL I just don't want to buy birds that you can pick up and break their necks over the gun barrel. LOL Id rather have to run after them to catch them. lol

cobbhunts

12 pointer
Mar 18, 2004
richmond, ky, USA.
Where are you located at in central Ky? I have a few contacts and I'm about to do the same thing as you are, on my place. Maybe we could compare notes.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

usmcvet06

6 pointer
Sep 20, 2006
Central KY
Im in Nicholasville cobbhunts. I'm making a 50 acre plot in rows with biologic whistleback and sunflowers. I have a few wild birds now and wont be putting the birds down until the plot grows enough to provide adequate cover.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
Save your money, unless you just want to feed the predators. Penraised birds almost never survive. Better to weed out the predators and let wild birds find the place on their own.

Dec 18, 2011
Call Jim Ritter he will sale you early release birds 859 757 3068. He haves some of the best birds I have used. jumbo bobwhites

mlittle

6 pointer
Apr 18, 2009
Versailles, KY
I agree with the 5 week old birds. I have been doing releases from a surrogator. DO YOUR HABITAT WORK FIRST.
I did one release before the new habitat was up and got nothing out of it. dead birds.

Since my habitat work I have done more releases, and have plenty of huntable birds. It is working well. But you have to get your habitat right. keeping it right, after years of fescue is a lot of work. Thank God that I enjoy it.

GSPCasey

Fawn
Mar 27, 2014
Yeah I have tried pen raised birds and had no luck. Any biologist will tell you the same. I have many friends that have tried releasing pen raised birds and had no luck. They get so used to having feed so they will not usually find wild food. The best way to get birds is Habitat, Habitat, and Habitat!!

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Call Jim Ritter he will sale you early release birds 859 757 3068. He haves some of the best birds I have used. jumbo bobwhites

I talked to Jimmy a few weeks back and he was out of birds then but you might want to give him a call anyways for next year.