Where can a kid catch a few at Barkley

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by BunnyBuster, Jun 2, 2011.

1. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Will be staying there and my boy was wanting to go to the Lake and fish while I was in a meeting. Where is a good place close to the Lodge to catch some fish. His mother will be with him but they don't need anything very rugged. Will be bank fishing.

Some gills and bass would suit him fine.

2. 308

308 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2009
    Western KY
    Anywhere along the shore by the lodge you can fish. All you would have to do is ask someone there and i'm sure they would tell you. I've seen people fishing along the shore when we've gone there to have lunch or diner.

3. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    All along the bank by the lodge as has been said. There is a sidewalk that runs around down there and riprap to fish off of.

Down at the boat ramp/marina and let him fish around out there too. Send him and mom down below the dam and tell them not to come back till they fill a wash tub with catfish.

4. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Thanks for the tips guys. Is catfishing that good below the dam?? Wow!! I'm looking forward to being around fishing water soon.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    You need some stout reels and a skipjack or two to cut some chunks out of.

Have you ever been down there? (Just looked up where Garrison is) Big fast water down below the dams.

Have your boy tie on two white curly tails on jig heads. Throw out as far as he can and then reel them in as fast as he can. That is how you catch skipjacks.

After you got bait squared away rig up a stout rod with a decent sized bobber and a 2/0 or 3/0 circle hook and some split shots. Use a small fillet or bloody chunk off that skipjack as bait. Throw it out and let it drift through. If the gar get to be too big a hassle try fishing on bottom but you will lose more gear that way.

You ought to catch soem blues that way. You can use those cut skipjacks up around the rip rap that is ont he backside of the lodge. You should be able to get into spawning channel cats pretty good now too.

BTW Mom probably ain't gonna like down below the dams much. They have a perpetual fish stink about them that gets really good in summer. Plus all the rip rap gets hot.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Probably skip out on the tailwater stuff. Little too much for him and mom! The rip rap and all sounds good. I have some skipjack in the freezer and if he can catch some bass and gills it will keep him satisfied. I really appreciate the info it will help me pack.

7. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Made it here. My son caught 1 bass this evening. Cicadas are crazy here. We caught some and used them the one bass came off of one of them. Bass and gills were smacking them when they flew into the water.

It was tough figuring out what lures to throw. Got some hits on spinnerbait and chatterbait though.

8. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Jitterbug if they are hitting cicadas. Explosive topwater bite.

Take time to check out the tailwater while you are there even if you don't have time to fish it.

9. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Got several bass yesterday evening twitching a senko. My boy wore em out on mill worms. He fished almost 4 hours yesterday!

I would like to see the tailwater but I might not go home if I do. I heard it is top notch action.

If you guys ever get fed up with fishing around here come to Lewis County and fish with me. Grayson Lake and Ohio River the only "close" fishing around. Yatesville about 1 1/2 hours away. You fellows are in the money here!