Where are the bobcats?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by buckfever, Feb 10, 2004.

1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I am the partial owner of a farm in Shelby County. I went to scout for turkeys before sunup before last Turkey Season and thought I saw a bobcat ran across the gravel path in front of me. I saw a bobcat while hunting in Ballard County many years ago so I know they are in Ky, but have never seen any other evidence of bobcats on the Shelby county property. Does anyone know whether bobcats have been positively identified in Jefferson, Oldham and/or Shelby counties?

2. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i know they have been found in Henry Co for sure
    an officer told me himself that he recovered a road kill along the highway
    also i have heard of other sightings in the surrounding counties of Henry

"A wise indian once said,the more you move the less you will see,the less you move the more you will see"

" I live to hunt, but my wife says i may be hunting a place to live"

3. COUNTRYBOY

COUNTRYBOY 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2003
    Butler Co, KY
    I seen my first bobcat while deer hunting this past season in Butler Co. Never seen one before so they must be spreading. Ain't been able to call one up yet while coyote hunting.

A COUNTRYBOY CAN SURVIVE

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I know Henry County is close to Shelby. Where's Butler County?

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Bobcats are in all 120 counties of Ky. We have several on my Hardin Co. lease. Road kills are showing up in lots of places. If you kill one, don't forget the CITES permit. You'll need it before you can do anything with the hide.

6. snareman

snareman 6 pointer

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't think the dept. of F & W has and idea of how many cats are in the state. Western Ky. is absolutely full of them!!

7. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

I saw a bobcat on 3 or 4 occasions,while bow hunting near Union Star, in Breckinridge county in the fall of 2001 & 2002.
    A bobcat was killed by a car in Meade county , on Ft Knox, 2 or 3 years ago. Was mounted and is on display at hunt control.
    Have seen several at LBL, one in Christian county, two in Hart county.
    There are a few around, but, are they thick enough to hunt state wide??[?][V]

8. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I'd want to see how many are killed statewide before making that assessment, but i think there are plenty. Ask any CO and ther're giving out several tags for them. The day I killed one, there were two, and guys a mile from me saw two other ones at the same time. That was in Hardin Co., near the Breck line.

9. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    I would love a chance to kill one.

10. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    I've seen the same bobcat for the last 3 seasons on some property I bow hunt here in Hopkins co.

WESTERN BOBCAT

11. Hunting_Medic

Hunting_Medic 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2004
    Hopkins Co., Ky..
    Bob, I just moved from Madisonville, spent 10 years there. I too have seen a bobcat there, and heard stories from other hunters who claim to see them.

"Grip it and rip it!" - John Daly

12. warden310

warden310 6 pointer

Dec 14, 2001
    KY, USA.
    Ballard, there are several cats in Jefferson Co. but I've never tagged any close to you. Most are in the western part, close to ValleyStation's house. I tagged 3 this year and 2 last year, all road kills. I've got a pic from Feb. 13th of a roadkill I found on I-65. I'm working on getting permission to trap some of those areas for next year.

13. Furrycat

Furrycat Fawn

Mar 4, 2004
    Mayfield, KY, USA.
    They are out there. I see several each year and have actually killed my statewide limit 2 years in a row. You just have to think like a furrycat to see a furrycat

BM

14. Furrycat

Furrycat Fawn

Mar 4, 2004
    Mayfield, KY, USA.
    They are out there. I see several each year and have actually killed my statewide limit 2 years in a row. You just have to think like a furrycat to see a furrycat

BM

15. snareman

snareman 6 pointer

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree with furrycat, think like the cat. Remember, they move sooooo slowly that they may be around you in the woods and you never pick out their movement. Strangely enough, I've seen 3 big toms in the last week, all midday. Never happens during the season though.