When to tell the CO

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
hear out this scenario......i have a second or third cousin who im not close with anymore.Anyways we saw him turkey hunting one day on our property(his too, family heir) 2 weeks before season comes in..thing is he isnt allowed to be in possession of a firearm due to probation or something. i would call on him but he knows we seen him and we have a cabin on our property, he dont use, and he is the type of guy that would burn it down. yea hes a loser type.then i would get a murder charge cause i literally would kill him. but it really pisses me off that he does this and i heard that he killed a freezer full last year. what would you all do?:confused: he would get fined for no liscense, tags, hunting out of season, possesion of firearm..i would love every minute of it too. except for him being out of jail in 1 week

hahaha. This would have to sum up why people don't like rats!

deerhunter1984

6 pointer
Mar 30, 2005
Irvine,Ky
Why's that? Because they might turn you in for being a felon in posession and hunting 2 weeks before season starts?

This would have to sum up why people don't like scum.

I think a lot of times, the one's ratting..are only doing so because the person they are ratting on is doing the same as they are. Thus bringing jealousy into the picture, or "he's taking away from me (though I'm doing the exact same thing)." I've noticed over time that 9 out of 10 times the person ratting, is breaking the law/are scum themselves. Oh wait though, "some think" they are saints. An old saying I used to hear was; "You must first be a sinner before you even think about being a saint." Just my honest opinion.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
I'm pretty sure that 9 out of 10 people on this thread that told the OP to call the CO probably aren't baiting, opening season 2 weeks early or convicted felons. More likely they are exactly the opposite and follow the letter of the law and despise people that are out to break it.

deerhunter1984

6 pointer
Mar 30, 2005
Irvine,Ky
I'm pretty sure that 9 out of 10 people on this thread that told the OP to call the CO probably aren't baiting, opening season 2 weeks early or convicted felons. More likely they are exactly the opposite and follow the letter of the law and despise people that are out to break it.

That's the thing, they told the OP to call..."they" didn't call (and yes, I know, they only know of the post, not the person posting or those the OP is talking about. One could find out though, if they're so highly on punishing those breaking the law). I've also been told in times past that some CO's view these forums, not sure how much of or if there's any truth to that. But if so, yeah, it should have been taken care of already! So this post should be dead, as of now.

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
Why's that? Because they might turn you in for being a felon in posession and hunting 2 weeks before season starts?

This would have to sum up why people don't like scum.

this dude wanted to call the law on a family member but couldn't because he was affraid he'd know who told on him?!? i just think it's funny that his biggest problem was being called out for snitching. i'm all for standing up for our hunting rights but we as hunters can stand up and help out ourselves. i'm with the FEW others that don't think running to the law everytime someone crosses our lines is the way to go, or in this case run to the law if no one knows i'm doing it.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
No body is "ratting," they are doing the responsible and ethical thing when they are confronted with a disregard for regulations that are in place to ensure that we all get a fair shake and have a good experience in the woods. Reporting violations is a helpful step to assist the COs in service to you.

Last edited:

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
That's the thing, they told the OP to call..."they" didn't call (and yes, I know, they only know of the post, not the person posting or those the OP is talking about. One could find out though, if they're so highly on punishing those breaking the law).

That is really the argument you are making for not reporting a game violation?

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
No body is "ratting," they are doing the responsible and ethical thing when they are confronted with a disregard for regulations that are in place to ensure that we all get a fair shake and have a good experience in the woods. Reporting violations is a helpful step to assist the COs in service to you.

there are times you probably should call the CO to report activity. although, i think most of the time these problems could be handled ourselves or at least try to be handled. go ask the neighbor about baiting, maybe he doesn't know or maybe he thinks he's so sneaky no one will notice. go tell your family member it aint season yet. i think our CO's would also appriciate these actions. if you can't get the problems fixed any other way then yes u might make a call. although, running and telling the cops everytime u see someone doing something wrong is crap. IMO

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Nothing personal to anyone......but with all the talk of "rattin on people"..."snitches"...ect.....sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds. I honestly dont know if I need to say grow up....or grow a set of nads....but its got to be one or the other.

This thread started out with the OP....asking "when to tell" ??? ....hence he posted his circumstances and asked for "opinions". Inturn...opinions or advice is given at face value.....does not make it right nor wrong....its just what we think he should do. Almost imediately.....when advised to call a CO... it turns into ....well would you turn in a speeder, someone running a redlight....smoking a joint in the privacy of their home?? Just blown out of proportion and honestly the mentallity of some of the opinions just makes you scratch your head.

You can justify this in any manner you want....but right is right...and wrong is wrong....its as simple as that. This does'nt mean calling LE over every little thing but were expected to have enough sence to do the right thing when warranted. Discussing this with the landowner...or the person doing it... is an alternative but so is letting those charged with enforcing the laws know about it. They have the authority to use discretion.... and do in a lot of situations. However we all need to remember ingnoance is not a excuse. You hunt or fish...your expected to know & follow the laws.

If you want to sit back and do nothing....mind your own business as stated.....and let someone steal our resources....thats your porogative. Its absolutely no different than coming home and find your house broken into... your stuff gone. You may have a good idea of who even did it.....but according to the logic of some....its best not to call the law.....we need to mind our own business. They obviously needed your stuff more than you did.....the guy illegally baiting turkeys....he obviously needs to kill a turkey more-so than you or I do. Lord help him if he has to actually "hunt" a turkey legally like the majority of us.

Also as been stated.....the only justified time to call the law...is a life threatening situation. Apparently laws / rules are ment for certain circumstances and we all need to be spineless jellyfish and go through life letting others take whatever they want. I mean...take speeding....or the guy getting behind the wheel drunk.....if their actions take the lives of our family members.... thats OK...right. Maybe the dopehead in the privacy of their home offers our children drugs ....thats Ok too...right. We should just mind our own business and only call the law after we been shot...stabbed...getting beat over the head with a baseball hat...you know...a definite life threatening situation. Everything else is justfiable with the reasoning being offered here by a few....right. Again....the mentality of this thought process is unbelievable....sad...but really unbelievable.

As for the CO's that visit here....I guarantee you they do read these threads....and have the capabillity to investigate if warranted. IP adresses ....e-mails used to sign up here or any forum are an easy way to trace someones location(adress) or name. If your bragging about illegal activities on the net....or even saying you know about it but not going to report it.... they can find out who you are and where you live. Theres been many poachers caught by screwing up , bragging & even showing pictures about it on public forums.....reiterating the word "public" here.

deerhunter1984

6 pointer
Mar 30, 2005
Irvine,Ky
Nothing personal to anyone......but with all the talk of "rattin on people"..."snitches"...ect.....sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds. I honestly dont know if I need to say grow up....or grow a set of nads....but its got to be one or the other.

Growing a set of nads & standing up for yourself is different than letting people walk over you & having someone else (LE or CO) taking up for you.

This thread started out with the OP....asking "when to tell" ??? ....hence he posted his circumstances and asked for "opinions". Inturn...opinions or advice is given at face value.....does not make it right nor wrong....its just what we think he should do. Almost imediately.....when advised to call a CO... it turns into ....well would you turn in a speeder, someone running a redlight....smoking a joint in the privacy of their home?? Just blown out of proportion and honestly the mentallity of some of the opinions just makes you scratch your head.

Myself, I wouldn't call the CO first. I would probably first go take a big shit in the middle of the corn pile...then go to the landowner/rule breaker & run by him what I just did, & why. & see what kind of problem he had with it, thus again standing up for myself.

You can justify this in any manner you want....but right is right...and wrong is wrong....its as simple as that. This does'nt mean calling LE over every little thing but were expected to have enough sence to do the right thing when warranted. Discussing this with the landowner...or the person doing it... is an alternative but so is letting those charged with enforcing the laws know about it. They have the authority to use discretion.... and do in a lot of situations. However we all need to remember ingnoance is not a excuse. You hunt or fish...your expected to know & follow the laws.

Some care less about these laws, it's obvious with all the laws we see broken, daily. A slap on the wrist, a fine & a short jail time does not change their minds.

If you want to sit back and do nothing....mind your own business as stated.....and let someone steal our resources....thats your porogative. Its absolutely no different than coming home and find your house broken into... your stuff gone. You may have a good idea of who even did it.....but according to the logic of some....its best not to call the law.....we need to mind our own business. They obviously needed your stuff more than you did.....the guy illegally baiting turkeys....he obviously needs to kill a turkey more-so than you or I do. Lord help him if he has to actually "hunt" a turkey legally like the majority of us.

If I were to walk into my home to find my things taken/stolen...& know/knew who did it. "I" would go get my stuff back, one way or another. Why do I wanna take days, weeks, months, years or even a risk or not having anything done by LE. It's another example of standing up for yourself. It's like if someone bust me in the mouth, am I going to wait til he's done..then call LE? Hell no, I'm going to bust him right back.

Also as been stated.....the only justified time to call the law...is a life threatening situation. Apparently laws / rules are ment for certain circumstances and we all need to be spineless jellyfish and go through life letting others take whatever they want. I mean...take speeding....or the guy getting behind the wheel drunk.....if their actions take the lives of our family members.... thats OK...right. Maybe the dopehead in the privacy of their home offers our children drugs ....thats Ok too...right. We should just mind our own business and only call the law after we been shot...stabbed...getting beat over the head with a baseball hat...you know...a definite life threatening situation. Everything else is justfiable with the reasoning being offered here by a few....right. Again....the mentality of this thought process is unbelievable....sad...but really unbelievable.

If you know someone is drunk, & you are in a position to take their keys or keep them from driving...do so. If our children are in a home where drugs may be a problem & where they can come in contact with drugs..we as parents should know. If someone offered my child (if I were a parent) & I knew about it, they would be wishing they thought otherwsie. When "I" was done with them, then the LE could have at em.

As for the CO's that visit here....I guarantee you they do read these threads....and have the capabillity to investigate if warranted. IP adresses ....e-mails used to sign up here or any forum are an easy way to trace someones location(adress) or name. If your bragging about illegal activities on the net....or even saying you know about it but not going to report it.... they can find out who you are and where you live. Theres been many poachers caught by screwing up , bragging & even showing pictures about it on public forums.....reiterating the word "public" here.

Of course, this is just me & my opinions.

Last edited:

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Of course, this is just me & my opinions.

Just advice .....when replying within a quote.....either bold your response or change the font color. Makes it a whole lot easier to read.

So...lets see what I get out of your response....

You would tresspass to take a dump in the cornpile....then confront the landowner in hopes that you can beat some sence into him. You really have no use for laws & the system is a failure. Basically the rest is the same....anyone wrongs you...your going to bust mouths & heads .....then let the law have'm after your done. Basically your mindset is your the sherrif...judge & jury.

I already feel the world is a safer place after reading this. Let me know how this works out for you.