When to tell the CO

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Its not a matter of minding your own business when someone elses actions start effecting yours...and your property. It becomes a different matter all together then.

I will admit this is a valid point if the corn could possibly get you in trouble. I have no problem conceding points if they are valid unlike some people who will absolutely never concede anything b/c of stubborness.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Yes it's different. The police don't want people calling in minor traffic offenses. They have much greater coverage than a CO. KDFWR has asked for help in catching violators. They have a 800 number set up for it.
Well, if you see someone smoking a joint at a party, are you going to call 911? I don't think so.

deerhunter1984

6 pointer
Mar 30, 2005
Irvine,Ky
I have had many people say the same thing about baiting deer and bear....many of you guys do it with bait directly or by food plots. Just like mowing down sunflowers for doves. Is that still hunting? Is this sporting when you are altering the prey's habits by planting food to make up for your possible lack of woodsmanship?

People just like to zoom in on this one thing without seeing the big picture.

I'm with you on this 100%. Too many either take things too far, or not far enough. I don't hunt baited deer, never have, never will. Mostly due part to the lack of "hunting" when this takes place. Of course like your post most won't like this, & will pick at it like a bony fish fillet. They'll say things like "hunt how you want to hunt, & I'll hunt how I want to hunt." I'll respond with "do what you wish, it's your choice." Throwing out a bag of corn, sitting up a treestand & waiting...to me that's not much work at all. On the other hand; scouting, finding deer trails, "hunting, hunting, hunting"...putting some "have to" effort into it...that's hunting to me (again, this is my opinion..you all have yours)! & like I said others will pick at this & boil over. & I'll say "hunt how you want, it's your choice." Another thing, I don't see how one can be punished for someone else's breaking of the law. It's like you're saying if my neighbor puts out corn close to my property line (without me knowing) & it's found by a CO, I can also be fined for hunting the area? Does no one see any wrong here? I will not, WILL NOT, let myself be punished with fines etc. for someone else breaking the law. I will not let my right to hunt be taken away for someone elses lack of following the rules. I would refuse to pay such a fine & do time in jail if need be... only because I would have to. It's almost like saying if you're pulled over for speeding, driving on a suspended license, no insurance etc (with a passenger). Wait...must my passenger also pay the price for doing nothing wrong? I think not & this is one point at hand here. To answer whether or not to call the CO, I would say go ahead & get it over with. BUT, if it comes down to your hunting being affected by the bait on the other side of the fence... you're not standing up for yourself, & all you've accomplished is having this bait removed & the area locked down. The landowner will pay a fine, then this fall put a tresstand up on the property line with another pile of corn for the deer. I question would this also be a problem for some of you? Odds are that corn pile will be there for the turkey next spring also. This is where I believe those caught breaking such hunting laws get away too easily. Then if the person on the property next to is hunting near a baited area he may not even be aware of... is punished too harshly. Of course these are my opinions, some will agree & some will disagree. But remember some times we must agree to disagree.

B.G.O. of Kentucky

12 pointer
Nov 19, 2002
Louisville, Ky, USA.
That was my thought too. I was hunting a farm a few years back, and a few days into the season, some one came in and dumped 50# of corn right were I hunted, I had hunted all morning around it and never even knew it, then when walking out, I saw it. I got the heck out of dodge and didn't return that year.
Call now!

Call him now with the address and location of the blind. He'll sneak out there and scout it out and then put a sting on the poacher. It doesn't make sense to wait for him to kill a turkey over his cornpile before calling the CO to lower the boom.

While you're at it, ask the CO how far away you need to stay from the bait pile so you don't get wrapped up in any ongoing corn pile investigations.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
I'm with you on this 100%. Too many either take things too far, or not far enough. I don't hunt baited deer, never have, never will. Mostly due part to the lack of "hunting" when this takes place. Of course like your post most won't like this, & will pick at it like a bony fish fillet. They'll say things like "hunt how you want to hunt, & I'll hunt how I want to hunt." I'll respond with "do what you wish, it's your choice." Throwing out a bag of corn, sitting up a treestand & waiting...to me that's not much work at all. On the other hand; scouting, finding deer trails, "hunting, hunting, hunting"...putting some "have to" effort into it...that's hunting to me (again, this is my opinion..you all have yours)! & like I said others will pick at this & boil over. & I'll say "hunt how you want, it's your choice."

You are dead on regarding how people will pick at it like a bony filet. If you have a differing opinion than the "ol' regulars" on here, it's like gang warfare how they jump on you. Just by having a difference of opinion. And yet when I raise valid points, mum's the word. No one wants to address where they will stop regarding calling the law on people....just want to avoid that little issue all together. Another guy brought it up why it hadn't been answered and still mum.

People like yourself are hard to come by these days. You know what is right and will stand up for yourself regarding getting punished for another person's actions. Most will just roll over or lay down.

Valley Station

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 10, 2001
Valley Station, Ky, USA.
Some of you "outlaws" think turning some one in for poaching , illegal hunting or baiting turkey is "Snitching"?
It's no wonder poaching and shooting over the limit is so rabid around Kentucky.
So you're going to turn your head the otherway when some SOB baits an area and makes it illegal for all the adjoining land owners to hunt their own property?? That same illegal corn pile hunter would most likely , also, brag about shooting a half dozen toms off that corn pile.

jim-n-em

Spike
Oct 22, 2009
Louisville, KY
I guess I was raised by parents that instilled good morals and values. It just really disturbs me how people can't follow rules. To me, that is what is wrong with this world today. Society has changed dramatically for the worse. Don't get me wrong, there are still great people in this world. However, we have gotten to the point where everyone is afraid to confront or report someone who is breaking the law. These people continue to get away with things and they will never change. I work in education and I get so tired of hearing all these teenagers saying, "I ain't snitchin." Now we have a whole society of adults who "Ain't Snitchin." Where does it end? It is a sad world where someone witnesses a murder, but they are not going to snitch. Sometimes you have to man-up and do what is right. I am man enough to deal with my decisions and will stand by my convictions. I am a firm believer that if you do good, then good things will come to you. I am sure some of you will dispute this, but that is how I try to live my life.

Many of us live being afraid of retaliation. Granted, in some cases you will have to watch your back. Again, I would rather be a man and stand up for myself and defend myself if needed.

Is baiting for turkeys the worst thing in the world? No, not by far. It is still illegal, immoral, and should not be tolerated by anyone. This world would be a better place if we would stop living in fear of retaliation for doing the right thing. This is just my 2 cents worth.

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
There's a big difference in baiting for turkeys and baiting for deer. Ones illegal and ones not. End of story. I guess you can ask yourself if shooting a deer over a bait pile is ethical or not but that's besides the point here. While you have been our scouting and trying to see where the birds are, more than likely your neighbor will simply wake up Saturday morning and go to that blind and wait them out. That's not right, legal, or,in my opinion, it's not turkey hunting. When you compare speeding to baiting turkeys your comparing apples and oranges. You walk up and tell a cop that you sped yesterday to work and he will probably say don't do it again. You walk up to a CO and say that you killed a turkey over a baited spot, well your probably not going to get the same results. I still don't see how it's fair that you will punish the adjoining property for your neighbors bonehead moves. Doesn't seem right to get kicked off your hunting land for reporting someone.

You probably don't even have to call now, the CO's probably done found out where this is located at and checking it out.

Ignert

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2007
I guess I was raised by parents that instilled good morals and values. It just really disturbs me how people can't follow rules. To me, that is what is wrong with this world today. Society has changed dramatically for the worse. Don't get me wrong, there are still great people in this world. However, we have gotten to the point where everyone is afraid to confront or report someone who is breaking the law. These people continue to get away with things and they will never change. I work in education and I get so tired of hearing all these teenagers saying, "I ain't snitchin." Now we have a whole society of adults who "Ain't Snitchin." Where does it end? It is a sad world where someone witnesses a murder, but they are not going to snitch. Sometimes you have to man-up and do what is right. I am man enough to deal with my decisions and will stand by my convictions. I am a firm believer that if you do good, then good things will come to you. I am sure some of you will dispute this, but that is how I try to live my life.

Many of us live being afraid of retaliation. Granted, in some cases you will have to watch your back. Again, I would rather be a man and stand up for myself and defend myself if needed.

Is baiting for turkeys the worst thing in the world? No, not by far. It is still illegal, immoral, and should not be tolerated by anyone. This world would be a better place if we would stop living in fear of retaliation for doing the right thing. This is just my 2 cents worth.

So, our society has just arrived at this low point? Everyone that knew their neighbor was making whiskey up every holler always ran to the feds back in the day, right? I guess if they were raised with your morals they would! NO, they all would mind their own business! That, my friend, is only worth one cent!

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
that's the dumbest thing i have ever heard. no, u can't get in trouble for what your neighbor does across the property line. use a little common sense. people should spend a little more time worrying about themselves and their own actions and less time policing the world.

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
What irony?

Irony is basically nothing more than an incongruence of words or actions.

KBH4Life commented on the lack of access to private ponds to fish and by implication and words, lamented the the days when landowners freely granted permission to third-parties to hunt/fish.

By a longshot, the biggest reason landowners deny permission or access to outsiders is because they don't trust those "other" people to follow "rules", whether they be the landowners' rules or state harvest regulations. Some of the rules are the landowners rules - leaving the land the way the person seeking access found it or restricting their harvest. Others are state or federal laws/regs - following bag limits, etc. I know lots of landowners that don't allow anyone else to hunt/fish on their property for those reasons.

CO's aren't supermen and can't be everywhere all the time. If sportsmen had a better track record of assisting our CO's to stop illegal hunting and poaching, the perception of hunters and fisherman among non-hunting landowners would improve, and most folks would ultimately be able to gain access to private lands/ponds.

The irony for KBH4Life is that his inability to gain access to private land to fish was in part created because so many other folks engaged in his MYOB adopted mentality.

On the other hand, he criticized people that would call a conservation officer if they knew that somebody was poaching or otherwise illegally hunting/fishing. Those people, in his estimation, are meddlers, whiners or tattletales who need to mind their own business.

The irony is that

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
No one wants to address where they will stop regarding calling the law on people....just want to avoid that little issue all together. Another guy brought it up why it hadn't been answered and still mum.

So, our society has just arrived at this low point? Everyone that knew their neighbor was making whiskey up every holler always ran to the feds back in the day, right? I guess if they were raised with your morals they would! NO, they all would mind their own business! That, my friend, is only worth one cent!

Calling the CO over illegal baiting ..in comparrisons made to someone making/running whiskey... speeding...running a red light....even smoking pot.... is not even close to the same.

In all these examples.... the only one getting fined or busted is the one committing the illegal act. It does'nt effect anyone that did'nt get caught doing it.....unlike illegal baiting.

Ultimately ...the very act of illegal baiting is the first step of theft. The whole intent is to attract & kill turkeys....its that simple. Their stealing from me...you ...every resident of this state who buys a license.

So...while they might not have turned their neighbor in for runnin shine....I'd also bet they did'nt steal from their neighbor in those hollers either. So what makes it right now??