When to tell the CO

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Make the call he`s not hunting just waiting for something to walk up so he can shoot it no sport at all.

I have had many people say the same thing about baiting deer and bear....many of you guys do it with bait directly or by food plots. Just like mowing down sunflowers for doves. Is that still hunting? Is this sporting when you are altering the prey's habits by planting food to make up for your possible lack of woodsmanship?

People just like to zoom in on this one thing without seeing the big picture.

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
And I have been waiting for the responses to come rolling in.

Ok, if you decide to call the CO, where do you draw the line? Are you gonna call the police every time you see someone speeding? Are you call the police if you see someone run a light or stop sign? What???? Oh...I get it....that's different. Riiiiiiiiiigghhhtttt.

As for guy messing up your hunting, you can hunt another spot a few hundred yards away. What?? But it's your property? Well, then, if that's how feel about it, just hunt right next to the boundary line too. If it bothers you that much, put a tape player right next to it and scare them your way.

I just don't see how everyone runs to a law enforcement officer every chance they get to solve the little problems in their everyday lives....like they can't do it themselves.

I can't help but chuckle at the irony between these two posts by the same guy. . .

I tried this last year and got nowhere. It's a shame that no one lets anyone fish anymore. Ya..I know why...but these people have known me all my life and I have never left litter or done any damage. A few bad apples ruin it for everyone. What happened to "Take a kid fishin'"?

I'm debating how much I'm willing to spend to build a 1 acre pond on my farm after hitting rock at 6 feet....$10k...$15k? Early estimate was $30-35k which sure as heck isn't happening.

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
I have had many people say the same thing about baiting deer and bear....many of you guys do it with bait directly or by food plots. Just like mowing down sunflowers for doves. Is that still hunting? Is this sporting when you are altering the prey's habits by planting food to make up for your possible lack of woodsmanship?

People just like to zoom in on this one thing without seeing the big picture.

Let's examine your big picture. Anybody and everybody can hunt deer over corn. The guy that does it for turkeys has a huge advantage over the non-cheating hunter. If everyone was allowed to shoot turkeys over corn, the success rate would spike from 30% to about 80% and we'd be looking at a major season and spring bag limit reduction. Got any other big pictures that we need to look at?

turk2di

Cyber-Hunter
Feb 25, 2003
evansville, ind
Let's examine your big picture. Anybody and everybody can hunt deer over corn. The guy that does it for turkeys has a huge advantage over the non-cheating hunter. If everyone was allowed to shoot turkeys over corn, the success rate would spike from 30% to about 80% and we'd be looking at a major season and spring bag limit reduction. Got any other big pictures that we need to look at?
I thought about making a similar reply & then decided..to hell with it.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
I can't help but chuckle at the irony between these two posts by the same guy. . .

I don't see any irony. I follow all the landowners' rules and mind my own business....and they prefer it that way. If I'm on someone's property and something suspicious was going on, I'd notify the landowner....that's it. He handles what goes on on his property. If I see something across the fence, and I have, I may mention it to the landowner.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Let's examine your big picture. Anybody and everybody can hunt deer over corn. The guy that does it for turkeys has a huge advantage over the non-cheating hunter.

Sure do: how about the guy hunting deer over corn has a huge advantage over the guy not hunting over corn right across the fence.

So it basically boils down to this: "Wah wah wah...he has an advantage over me. I'm gonna call the law". That's pretty much on point, isn't it? Well people have advantages over me in owning 500+ acres, having thousands of dollars to do food plots or hunt out west. It's life...I get over it....so should you.

Last edited:

stevemeadows

8 pointer
Oct 7, 2003
Ky, USA.
To each his own... make the call or don't make it, just be careful the call may backfire on you! The CO could check out the baited property and lock it down, along with this he could shut down the turkey hunting on the bordering farms as well!

I don't see any irony. I follow all the landowners' rules and mind my own business....and they prefer it that way. If I'm on someone's property and something suspicious was going on, I'd notify the landowner....that's it. He handles what goes on on his property. If I see something across the fence, and I have, I may mention it to the landowner.

So you would notify a landowner but not a CO. Notifying a landowner isn't being a rat but notifying a CO is. I'm confused.

littletom

8 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
Knob Lick, Ky
Do what you think is right, not what the inernet guys say is right. Your the one who has to live with your decision. I would keep to own business thats just how i am. A turkey is not worth bad neighbors to me. Thats what i would do, but it don't matter what i would do!

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
So you would notify a landowner but not a CO. Notifying a landowner isn't being a rat but notifying a CO is. I'm confused.

Yeah, basically. If I saw a family friend's kid at a party smoking weed, I would tell their parents but not call the police.

I don't think anyone is questioning the legality and sportsmanship of baiting turkeys. But I believe in not snitching as well. It's none of my business the way I look at it. I'm still wondering why no one has responded to the speeder and other traffic offenses questions. Do you only have a problem with someone doing something illegal if it affects you?

To each his own though. If you feel that you need to turn someone in, more power to you.

BUCKFEVER99

8 pointer
Sep 8, 2008
Morton Holler
I think I'll let the CO know and let them take care of it. Only thing that sucks is its right next to my set up over clover. We've been managing this land for 3 years, startin to get good and he's screwin up my openin day hunt. I have more spots but not near as good as this one.

KYBH4Life

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Yeah, basically. If I saw a family friend's kid at a party smoking weed, I would tell their parents but not call the police.

I don't think anyone is questioning the legality and sportsmanship of baiting turkeys. But I believe in not snitching as well. It's none of my business the way I look at it. I'm still wondering why no one has responded to the speeder and other traffic offenses questions. Do you only have a problem with someone doing something illegal if it affects you?

Thank you. This is exactly my point...well, all of them, in a nutshell.

HappyHunter

10 pointer
Sep 11, 2003
Louisville
Ok, if you decide to call the CO, where do you draw the line? Are you gonna call the police every time you see someone speeding? Are you call the police if you see someone run a light or stop sign? What???? Oh...I get it....that's different. Riiiiiiiiiigghhhtttt.

Yes it's different. The police don't want people calling in minor traffic offenses. They have much greater coverage than a CO. KDFWR has asked for help in catching violators. They have a 800 number set up for it.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Sure do: how about the guy hunting deer over corn has a huge advantage over the guy not hunting over corn right across the fence.

So it basically boils down to this: "Wah wah wah...he has an advantage over me. I'm gonna call the law". That's pretty much on point, isn't it? Well people have advantages over me in owning 500+ acres, having thousands of dollars to do food plots or hunt out west. It's life...I get over it....so should you.

The bottom line on this is.... as of now the law says turkeys "under the influence of bait". It does'nt say it only pertains to the property the bait is on. So pending the CO's discretion....your place could be considered baited as well and shut down for the remainder of Spring Season. Inturn you can & probably will be fined... as well as anyone else thats hunting either property.

So....in my opinion you really need to make the call. Let him check it out and more than likely he will work it out where you can hunt your property. He may impose a reasonable distance within the area to not hunt... but at least you get to hunt.

At this point the CO may very well already know about it....you just dont know & he's not going to contact you in advance. They will just show up after first light on opening day and start issuing tickets...if you have harvested a bird....things get worse.

I went through this a few years ago when a lease bordering our property had baited using broadcasted cracked corn. There was some confusion over property lines with the CO and old property records and he thought the bait was on us....luckily the line is clearly marked. He realized his mistake....we were not fined or shutdown but we agreed to not hunt a 50 acre portion of our own property....but we could still hunt. All this came about at 30 minutes after daylight on opening day. Spent the rest of the morning getting this straightened out.

In your situation ...you can prevent this now. CO's do flyovers in their counties looking for bait... and piled up corn shines like a golden neon light from the air. Again theres no way of knowing for sure....and going through the season ....the pucker factor aint worth the risk.

Its not a matter of minding your own business when someone elses actions start effecting yours...and your property. It becomes a different matter all together then.

Latest posts