wheat reseeding itself?

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by huntr467, Aug 5, 2009.

1. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Anyone tried leaving their wheat standing until late august- early sept and bushhogging or discing it in and letting it reseed itself?

We mowed and disced ours back in June and had lime spread. Then about 3 weeks or so ago we bought a new disc and tried it out in a couple of our plots.....man the wheat came up really really good.
    That seed had to have been laying for like 4- 5 weeks. Its seems a shame to waste it if its there. Plus you wouldn't have to buy any new seed.

Really didn't notice this happen last yr. maybe it was because of the mild temps and rain that got it going.

2. kybadcat36

kybadcat36 8 pointer

Mar 26, 2005
    central city ky
    What did you pay for the lime per ton?

3. I_HUNT_ALL

I_HUNT_ALL 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2005
    Henderson KY
    i cut cut the old standing wheat, then disked the ground up... purchased new seeds and sowed them, i ran out of seeds about 3/4 of the way...the plots are 100% covered in wheat

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    with all the rain we have had, our dove field (wheat we were going to bush hog next month) is as green as if we had just sowed it. Not sure if there will even be enough seed left to shoot over.

5. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

just under $17 a ton spread.

6. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    You can just leave it if you want too. You'll have to fertilize it for it to make seed heads in the spring/summer. Understand that the plot will be pretty, but will be very tall and coarse this fall. That may lead to the deer not eating it as well as wheat planted in early Sept.

7. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

yeah I was not planning on leaving what is there this yr. I was thinking of next yr...leaving it standing all yr and discing it under, fertilizing and spreading my other seeds (turnips) the first of Sept. when I normally plant. Basically would the seed hold on long enough , and be able to germinate?

8. If the wheat is made and just needs to dry down hit it with a 3/4 rate of glyphosate or paraquat It will go ahead and make it start to die off. It what we have had to do to combine wheat early enough to get a bean crop out.

On another note wheat will germinate just fine if its is mowed and disc under, i had a heck of a stand on volunteer wheat the past two year even out of damaged kernels that got past the combine and from shatter loss.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009