whats your take on "Tipping"?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tip for good service never below 15% with exception ofvery poor service, Its usually around 20% plus. I know what its like to work in food service. I also tip my barber, bell hops, sky caps, hunting guides, and anyone else I think needs to be. Murray and Mayfield are a horrible place for servers to work considering the high concentration of elderly who feel like 50 cents is an adeqaute tip. I had the pleasure of dining at a fantastic eatery in Paducah during the Quilt show where a plates average north 30 dollars a person and I witnessed a group of 8 older quilters leave 5 dollars. The little girl busted her hind serving her tables including ours. No glass ever went empty. I felt so bad for her.

2. Chester

Chester 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Well after reading this thread today, I have to admit at dinner tonight I pulled out my phone to do a little math so I made sure I tipped appropriately. Lol

3. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    The bottom line for me is an extra buck or two on the tip does them a whole lot more good than it hurts me to give.

4. tarsal

tarsal Spike

Aug 24, 2012
    People leave what they can afford, regardless of service...

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Does everyone remember when you had to pay a dime to use the pooper at White Castle?

6. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I'd be talking to managers non-stop over things he would consider petty while thinking I'm trying to find a lame excuse to get comped for part of my meal. It would really solve nothing. From what I can tell you work in a nicer restaurant where I'm sure job performance is much more of a priority than usual, and I can't afford (more like can't justify) going to real nice place like that all the time, so we're not really comparing apples to apples here. Pay attention to other cheaper chain restaurants sometimes. "Mediocre" is the norm, and notifying a manager isn't going to resolve anything, as I'm sure he's well aware and even fosters that environment.

My issue is with the industry's leveraging of guilt, in an attempt to command a standard 20% tip across the board, regardless of whether your server and food sucked, was mediocre, or excellent. Also my issue is with not-so-nice places letting the server keep 100% of their tips. A 20% tip, especially if it's not shared, ought to be a reward for excellence in my opinion, not a standard mindless payment for mediocrity.

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Unless you crawled under the door.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    That's a bit much, but if me and my wife go eat and I get a $50 bill and our server was nothing special and talked to us for every bit of 20 seconds, I wouldn't bat an eye at leaving $5 which is 10%. I don't really care if society has a problem with that. If that makes me cheap then I guess I'm cheap.

Here's the deal... that same $5 will buy me 40 minutes straight from this laborer in high school that I'm employing, while busting his ass working on the house I'm building or cleaning up my farm. And I'm cheap because I question whether asking me what the hell I want to eat and bringing me a couple glasses of water and my plates should really be worth more than I'm paying somebody to do some actual hard and potentially dangerous work for 40 minutes? Well, it's not.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  9. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Do you guys all really get consistently bad service because I rarely have much to complain about. I can't say that I have EVER had terrible service. The vast majority of the time I get good to excellent service with a few OK services thrown in.

10. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Pfffft,, WMW, just hopped up in the sink.:)

11. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    Yep. Sure. Because walking out plates & filling drinks is all the do... Lol

I'm sure your not foolish enough to honestly believe that. Again, I think your fighting the wrong fight. Your problem seems to be with the establishments, yet your taking it out on the server. Tip 10%, receive crappy service. Trust me, the staff remembers crappy tippers.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Once again, depends on how nice of a restaurant you're in. I've visited and worked in several where the primary activity of the servers was literally to socialize with one another.

Quite honestly most of the time I'd probably tip more if they just left me alone. The really good restaurants usually have really good servers. Everywhere else seems to have ill-trained people who think they're doing a good thing by bugging you, and I don't like to reward that.

One that stands out recently was this chick who must have asked me 6 times "is everything ok"? But when we would say yes, she would say "are you sure?" in this sheepish and skeptical tone. Just really friggin annoying. I would have paid good money to get her idea of bad service.

13. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    I think you are confused again. I do not tip out of guilt. I tip because it is the right thing to do. It has nothing to do with the industry leveraging guilt. Now I wouldn't expect someone taking back alley bacon deals in the middle of the night to understand the concept of the RIGHT thing to do but it is clear that the majority understands this and are just fine with it. I mean you slept on the job and did homework while you were getting paid and you have a problem tipping someone 15-20% for actually working? Man where does your logic come from.

14. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    That's the whole problem.....

How blindly stupid can you be? You just said "actual hard work" inferring what these people do isn't "work." ol' Reggie wasn't that silly.

So, yes, I can infer from your rhetoric that you have posted that you in fact do look down on those in the service industry. News flash, your not any better of a human than they are. Your elitist and condescending comments are ridiculous.

I thought I read earlier that you were at least in some point in the service or hospitality industry, then how could your views be as twisted as they are now? Servers make $2.15 per hour, and again, that covers the TAXES on the tips they receive. So if your ok with how ya do it, go for it, I still suggest you stick with quick service options that are available, as you deem rewarding those who wait on you as petty & feel that they are unskilled & uneducated morons.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Of course it's work. However, I've worked beside people building a house. I've worked right beside servers even more. One works harder than the other and also requires more practice. Therefore I'm not going to pay the other one more. Sorry.

No more elitist, condescending, and ridiculous than saying automatically pay a 20% tip no matter what or stay home.

Well, I also used to have a side job installing hardwood flooring. And now that I need over 2,000 square feet of hardwood flooring myself, I don't think it's worth it to pay somebody $4 or even $3 a square foot to do it. Is that just as twisted? Same difference to me. Only difference is that you're not in the hardwood flooring business and therefore probably won't take that personally and deem it as "twisted".

Like Mr. Pink said, show me a petition that says "that's messed up" and I'll sign it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.