Whats your go to squirrel gun ?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Duster, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Missed out years ago on a Stevens 555 O/U 410 gauge at a K-Mart where the wife was HR manager. IIRC it was around $200.00 then with her discount. Kick myself in the rear many times for not picking it up when I first seen it and when I made my mind up to go get it it had been sold. Ran across a used one in a pawn shop I check out while the wife visits a doctors office next door for $350.00. Rather than sit in a waiting room I go over there and snoop around. Not in bad condition best I can tell. I know new they sell for around $599.95. So a bit more than half price. I plan on waging war on the local squirrel population soon and think that 410 would be a fun gun to hunt them with. I have heard they are in high demand now from some Turkey hunters. Guy told me 410 ammo is high priced now but I have not checked at anyplace that would carry any yet. I am thinking in the line of 3 inch #6 shot should do the trick.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    either my 10/22 or mossberg plinkster and if its still thick a 20ga and #6.

3. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    I grew up using a Stevens 22 / 410 over under. It was the perfect squirrel gun for every occasion!

xbokilla and Carl like this.
  4. woodsman92

woodsman92 Spike

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    if its the june season when leaves are still thick my favorite is a old savage 16 gauge single shot loaded with winchester high brass number 6.
    if the leaves are off I prefer a rifle, past few seasons I have used my savage 17hmr, which is overkill on them and you have to make headshots because it tears them up too bad. I just bought a thompson center tcr22 (ruger 10/22 copycat) and plan for it to be the new squirell rifle.

Gooch likes this.
  5. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
  6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Benjamin Marauder in .25 cal. Deadly and silent.
    Mrod.jpg polymag.jpg

MoMan and hatsan125sniper like this.
  7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    410 ammo has always been high priced. If I was going to do a lot of squirrel hunting I’d want something cheaper and more abundant to shoot.

8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I had one of those. I killed a lot of starling with the 22 barrel. It was very accurate. Mine had a plastic like stock (WW 2 version.) I wish I still had it.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just checked and it is not much difference than 12 or 20 gauge shell's. Around $15 to $16 a box of 25. That is thru Natchez shooting supply's and high brass # 6 shot. I would say the shipping would be a major turn off ordering thru them tho. May have to check with Bud's ( aka Uncle Lee's) next time I am in town. I will not need a case just a few boxes.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s double the price there scooter...but i know math isn’t really your thing.

Junglekat likes this.
  11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Stevens model 311A, 16 gauge side by side. Got it for Christmas 40 years ago and it's still my favorite squirrel gun.

xbokilla likes this.
  12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    410 Stevens 94c 28 inch single barrel full choke with a load of 3 inch 6s.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    A 20 gauge O/U Boito which is Brazilian. Brother bought it for $85 new in the 80s. Hated it and gave it to me when I was probably 10 years old. Top barrel is choked tight and will reach out there. Bottom for closer shots. He still cracks up that I use it after all these years. Killed several grouse with it too back in the day.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Anyone ever own a 28 gauge ? I had what they called a Red Letter Winchester single shot in that years ago but had to sell it to pay the bill's and feed the baby's at one time. It was a squirrel's nightmare. Ammo was hard to find back then tho and may be harder today.
    Edit....Yall know me always a story to tell. Back when I had that 28 gauge my Dad got off work early and I had left the gun at his place because I was just hunting out back the day before. He decided he was going squirrel hunting and picked it up and a handful of shell's. Call me later that night to come over and pick up that darn gun. He had saved one of the squirrels he had killed that afternoon to show me. Poor squirrel was darn near cut in half right in the middle. Dad said this gun ruins squirrels and he love to eat them. He grew up poorer than dirt being his Dad died before he was born in 1922 his mom did the best she could with 4 kids and they grew up eating whatever game came their way. I ask him just how close was he to this cut in half squirrel when he shot and he said about 15 foot. The pattern at that distance with that gun with 28 inch barrel and fixed full choke was darn near like shooting a 12 gauge slug. So no wonder it near cut that grey squirrel in half. At least he saved the back part tho with no shot in it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Don’t know about hunting by my dad has a cool 28 gauge pistol he made from an old shotgun years ago.