What's wrong with this buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tman6493, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    He has been showing up daily here recently. Antlers are deformed not broken. He falls on his bad leg a lot but gets back up. I have about an hour of videos of him if you need a different angle. It's sad to watch and personally I don't think he can heal from it. Need an opinion on what to do. Thinking about letting a friend who has a legal license and tag take this for his first deer. Need opinions

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXG4dDkAlEc

2. Boggs41076

Boggs41076 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2014
    Wolfe Creek, Ky
    Looks like a broken or dislocated leg or shoulder. He has some rough looking places on the rear flank too. Are you close to a road, hit by car maybe?

He will more than likely live unless he is killed by predators. IMHO I would probably have my friend try to kill him. It would be the ethical thing to do. Just my opinion tho. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Yes jefferson county deer lots of roads and cars are the biggest predator IMO around here. I've been looking into info on what will happen if it's just dislocated and have found a lot of info with no one true guaranteed outcome. My concern is the antlers. I think it could be from him not taking in enough food do to his problem that has made him rough and have poor bone growth.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Will he make it? Who knows? They are tough and resilient. Maybe he will, but I'd bet against it. Would rather see him shot then suffer the wicked death of yotes.

5. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    His antlers were likely broken when he was hit by a car. He does not appear to be in distress. At this point he is not used to not being able to use that leg. If he is not killed by predators he will learn to compensate for it and improve over time. If he is getting around I would let him be, it serves no purpose to kill him.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. 6x5BC

6x5BC 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2014
    West Virginia
    That deer will soon be coyote food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Seems simple to me....if your friend would be happy, let him hunt and kill him. You could hunt with him and video the hunt. What a memory for his first deer!

8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Def take the deer he is not in good shape..

10. alwaysinrut

alwaysinrut 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2010
    My buddy killed a deer in your neighborhood last year that looked the exact same way. I filmed the hunt. It took him about 10 mins to hobble in. He shed his antlers in early December and don't have antlers when he killed him. His right front leg was shattered just like that one, some of his ribs were broke and both his back legs were broke. I would say they both had been hit by a car. Honestly idk how he ever walked only reason we were hunting there was to put him out of his misery. If I find pics of him I will post them. His hoof was crazy looking it was about 5 6 inches long.

11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

That long hoof is often times a sign that he was an EHD survivor. Slipper hoof I think it's called.

12. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Have your buddy take him out. He is obviously in bad shape and is an easy target for coyotes.

13. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    Seen one like this last year during late muzzleloader and let him go, he was a nice buck and my son would have loved to kill him, I let him walk and we found him ate by the buzzards and coyotes looking for sheds.