Whats wrong with theese dogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by kydirtdog44, Jan 4, 2012.

1. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    guys i dont know what is wron or if im doing something wrong went tonite to make a quick couple of stands this eve before it got dark first stand man was perfect wind in my face bout a 400 yrd ridge top surronded by cedar and rose bush thickets sun at my back started with a rabbit distress on vol 3 for 5 min then increased the vol to 5 for 7 min then silence for a couple then the coyote pup distress and let her rip nothing showed but a house cat tsecond stand bout the same setup nothing tried the lightining jack i get home my wife had went to the pasture to check on our horses and who did she see 75 yrds looking at her as if to say ha ha u have no gun the mangy flea bag just walked off what about that for luck

2. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Thats been the story of my season, I ve killed 1 after going more then 20 times, and 1 time in early nov, 1 came out by the house,
    I am gonna change tactics for the rest of the year, Im gonna hit the woods harder, Quit trying to call them in fields, use the climbing stand more, etc..

3. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Thats been the story of my season, I ve killed 1 after going more then 20 times, and 1 time in early nov, 1 came out by the house,
    I am gonna change tactics for the rest of the year, Im gonna hit the woods harder, Quit trying to call them in fields, use the climbing stand more, etc..

I went tonight on a new property that hasnt been hunted since modern gun, and never been hunted for yotes and still came up dry so your not the only 1 having bad luck

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I don't know? The last 4 times I've been hunting I've called in coyotes. I thought they were doing good.

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    It took me 3 tries to figure out what that post said. Is there an app for that?

6. We were really banging them up in Oct, Nov and the first half of Dec but it has slowed down a little for us also. We are now on about 15 stands with no results. All that means is the big pay off is coming soon. Each failure in coyote hunting put you closer to a successful stand. It is purly a numbers game so just keep going. Big Ed is having good luck so the rest of us will as soon as he runs all the songdogs our way.

7. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    Buford said it took him 3 tries to figure out what the the post said , maybe buford needs to go back to school (lol) or do they have schools there lol

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    You have to overlook Buford....in high school he regularly skipped first period, second period, third period....and sometimes 4th, 5th & 6th periods. That really was a period of his life he was more interested in booze & women ...than books and all those class periods he missed. Even got him in trouble with the law one time and when the judge read the sentence..... he was put on a period of probation. Now as he's gotten older .... he's going through a period of being grumpy.

Other than that reason....dont have a clue what he's talking about.

Hope your yote luck changes for the better.

9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Nothing really wrong, nor are you really doing anything wrong.

Coyotes have a territory of certain sizes depending on the population . Somewhere in that territory is a place they can feel safe during the day . Humans cause shifts in that safe place with our activities, the hunting seasons. So what animals you saw during the early fall have changed habits.

In that area, where is the heaviest cover with the least amount of human activity? Does it have a southern exposure?Does it have a lot of tracks going in many directions? Once you find the core area, your odds go way up of calling coyotes. Jimmie

10. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    we have lots of ridge tops surrounded by creek bottoms cedar thickets and lots of hardwoods i know coyotes r there i hear them at nite and the landowners see them pretty often im going to keep after them i know the spots i hunt r not over hunted hell i have permission to hunt half the county and only hunt one spot 1 time then rest it for at least 2 weeks maybe a month depending how much human activity has been there

11. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I never do any good with the wind in my face looking that direction. Coyotes will nearly always work downwind before coming in, sometimes they swing wide, sometimes they swing within 100 yards. If you'd put the caller 150 yards out the ridge you may have had a look at one.

I have spots that will nearly always produce if the wind is quartering where they can comfortably try to get the wind in their favor. If the wind is in my face there, nothing, ever...

12. I quit hunting with the wind in my face years ago. I like a quartering wind or a cross wind.

Coyotes are hunting the sound so you need to leave the coyote a way to get to the sound. Give the coyote a way to do what it wants to do and your set up should provide a clear shot before the coyote gets into your scent cone if he is coming from downwind. If you are set up right you should see him if he comes from up wind to get down wind or just happens to be downwind and commits.

I love to use mouth calls but this is where the e caller gives you a big advantage. The coyote is hunting the sound. If you place the e caller in the right place and your set up is right you can trick the trickster for sure-----some of the time. I use mouth calls when I have hunting buddies with me but prefer the e caller and mix in some mouth calls when I hunt alone.

13. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    coyotes are movig you guys better be ready

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

What your experiencing is the frustration so many newbies face. They hear them at night , farmer sees them alll the time. But when you get down to it the farmer sees them only so many times an month and at certain times of day. And where they are heard at night is not where they are during daylight hours when we can hunt them.

Depending on where you are in this state a group may have a territory of ten square miles to eighteen or twenty. The core area they go to during the day is just a small part of the ground they claim. At most they will be in a two square mile area they use as bedding cover.They may feed in this part of it for a few nights and another for a few nights. But they always return to this core area to bed down unless something disturbs and moves them for a while.

Does this help you understand why you have so many blank stands? Jimmie

15. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    your tips make very good sense and i have had some sucess (MAY JUST BE DUMB LUCK) but u can bett your last dollar i like this sport and have no desire to quit i try to watch the wind i enter and exit my stand as quietly as possible i ltry to have a croos wind or quartering wind lkie some, have suggested but some times u have to make due bottom line is i want to play this game the best way i can , i want to learn all i can this a great sport and seems like a lot of good people do this and seem willing to help thanks again for all the help u and others have given me