what's with the long beard xrs

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by savagehunter, Mar 29, 2020.

1. savagehunter

savagehunter Spike

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    I'VE BEEN USEING LOG BEARDS FOR THE LAST 2 SEASONS. I SHOOT#6 3 INCH IN A 835. I HAVE 2 835'S ON HAS A JEB'S .655 IN IT AND 1 HAS THE ARLSON'S LON BEARD IN IT, THIS YEAR I CAN'T THEM TO PATTER AT ALL. HAVE THEY CHANGED THE LONG BEARDS. CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT MY BROTHER HAS HE AME GUN WITH THE SAME JEB'S CHOKE HIS IS DOING THE SAME THING.I'AM GOING TO TRY THE TSS #9 3 INCH AND SEE WHAT THEY DO I HATE TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY ON 5 SHELLS BUT GOT TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING. ANY INFO. ON THIS I WOULD GREAT FULL....

Jay Blankenship likes this.
  2. martin moab

martin moab Spike

Oct 18, 2009
    That seems like a very tight constriction for an 835 beings the bore is more like a 10 gauge. I’d try a .670- .690 with the long beards. With tss 9s I personally have had best groups with factory full choke than any turkey choke I’ve tried. Good luck!

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Sometimes factory loads change. This may be more true with rifle loads but it’s often recommended to get ammo with the same lot # if possible. That constriction does seem tight for a backbored gun, but sounds like you’ve had good results. Just goes to show that there are no hard and fast rules for patterning.

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I still got a whole box of XRs from last year. Hope I’m good.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I wish I had loaded up on the Old Extended Range shells when they quit making them. I'm down to my last two. Best shell I've ever shot. Haven't shot the TSS's though.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Did you try swapping the chokes in the guns? I’d shoot some cheap lead shells first to see where the guns are patterning.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I haven’t shot the XRs at a turkey yet. Used the Dbl X Turkey Loads for years. I probably shouldn’t have switched. When I patterned it was about the same to be honest.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've got two boxes of LBXR #5's. They pattern like the old Extended Range shells. Just don't know if they have the same knock down.

xbokilla likes this.
  9. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship 6 pointer

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

you are starting to feel the effects of gettin big quick. 5/6yrs ago when I started shouting these they were second to none. But word got out. And the mass production started. Of course quality is coming down

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I used to shoot the Winchester Supremes 2 1/4 oz of 4s they shot awesome in my Browning gold. I ran out many yrs ago and bought some more they shot like crap, I found a old box in a little mom and pops store and cut one of each open, found they had switch the wad in them! I haven't been happy with a 12 ga Winchester turkey shell shell since.
    But I've been shooting my 20 ga and the Supremes out shoot the long Beard's by a mile.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I shoot just a plain Benelli Nova with Carlson choke. I always used either 2 1/4 or 2 1/8 oz too but the funny thing is #6 shoots the best in my gun. My dad likes #5 and he also shoots a Browning. Funny how they are different gun to gun.

riverboss likes this.
  12. savagehunter

savagehunter Spike

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    we have switched chokes in each gun hot each others sell still the samething I think Winchester has chaged the long beared. I hope the tss do the trick

13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Have you shot your full choke with the shells ya got? Were the results the same? If so then when you go to try you TSS try your full first. I think you will be very pleased with just it. But if it shoots good try your tighter constriction choke if ya want. I will tell you TSS stays together better and I've seen guys miss clean at 25yds cause it's not a wide pattern in some xfull chokes. Like I have said in past posts on the TSS, I wouldn't be ashamed to be out with my modified choke shooting TSS.

Riverboss, I to loved the Supremes 2 1/4 oz #5s. Still have like 3 left! I think I bought like 3 boxes of em. Never had one get up using em!

riverboss likes this.
  14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Something interesting: I "missed " two birds last year that were 30 -+yards...I say missed because they were knocked down and ended in a long cripple chase. For many years (decades) I shot the 3inch/1 3/4 oz best winchester supreme turkey loads or the Federal grand slam in lead 4. With the scope I use it was no flop forever and whatsoever at 30 yards. Been a long time since I experienced that kind of a cripple/miss. I had JUST OPENED a box of 10 SUPREMES. and those two bad patterns were from those shells. Always pick up my wads. I had the wads in my pocket and when I looked closely at them I noticed the petals on the wad were only cut twice to quarters and one side had no cut, so half the wad was improperly cut. Put that box of shells away for the rest of season. I sent the wads, unused shells, and the box info to winchester after the season. No explanation was given by winchester for the deformed wads and they sent me a certificate for a new box of shells.

Those bad wads were the clear plastic , not the red wads that used to be in the supreme shells.

that improper cut wad would cause your pattern to go sideways and everywhere but in a uniform pattern.

So pick up your wads and examine them after a field or patterning shot.

I expect the quality control dept in china or some place for the wads never checked the wads for proper cuts. Sort of lost faith in those shells right there. Im still shooting up lead fours in older boxes now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    riverboss and Dark Cloud like this.
  15. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I use the ole Primos Jellyhead and its a .690 or 695 don't remember, out of the 835.