What's the worst gun you ever shot?

RDL270

Cyber-Hunter
Apr 14, 2003
Fern Creek KY
Marlin 512P Slug Gun. Could not find a slug this gun would eject. Called Marlin, they sent me a new extractor and said the only slug they would recommend was a Winchester Super X. Gun was not very accurate at all with them. I ended up buying a Savage 220 and never looked back. Gun sits in the safe and hasn't been out in several years.

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
Two guns come to mind. The first was a Stevens 12 gauge pump that I had my brother buy for me when I was 13 or 14, there was so many holes in the pattern at 20 yards that a goose could walk through it. I tried many different shells and no one that picked it up could hit the ground with it.
The second was a Mossberg 835. I bought one when they first came out. I'm 57 and have been shooting all my life and can honestly say I have never shot anything that kicked like that! Plus it was only a fair shooter, tried several different chokes and loads. A friend of mine bought one too, when he patterned it trying new loads he'd wear a life jacket, lol. When Remington came out with the SPS 870 3 1/2" I bought one and traded Mossberg off.

shaman

10 pointer
Grandpa died with this odd-looking Savage semi-auto 22 in the back of his closet. It looked cheap. The stock was blond, and it had the most awful checkering I ever saw on a firearm. I didn't attempt to fire it until 6 years after he died. I was fresh out of college, and my buddies were all a bunch of gun enthusiasts, and when they invited me to go shooting, this is what I grabbed.

On the first trip out, it got through about 2/3ds of a box of 22 ammo and stopped functioning. I took it apart, expecting to clean it, and found the firing pin had broken in 2. My friends pointed me at Numrich. I called them; they sent me a new firing pin. This time I made it about half-way through the remaining rounds and the firing pin broke again.

I left the rifle dissassembled and never tried to get it to work again. Occasionally, I'll run across a part in my gunsmithing stuff.

The next trip to a gun show, I bought a Ruger 10/22.

Monster01

8 pointer
Dec 9, 2013
I had a little 32 auto break in my hands .and had a 535 that spent more time in the shop than the woods.

TPHunt2Eat

Fawn
Jun 22, 2017
Morehead, KY
whats the worst gun you ever shot? Like the trigger was so bad that it directly affected accuracy, or no matter what, the accuracy was horrible, or some other reason.

I briefly owned a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm (handgun). The trigger pull was so long on it that your wrist was almost forced to bend in order to complete the pull. Of course this effected the accuracy. Also it jammed on me several times with repeated shots.

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
I had two different 37A Win shotguns, a 16ga and a .410 that both shot about a foot high at 20 yards and it got worse beyond that.. No amount of stock shimming or adjustment or taller beads changed it..I bet they shot three feet high at 40 yards

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Then I had a Rem 541T that was drilled and tapped off center from the factory..
Several modified m16's from work that were changed over with a semi sear from the auto sear but about every third shot they went full rock&roll. maybe a 3,7 or 10 round burst without you knowing it..The armorer had left all the other full auto group parts in them and only changed the sears..

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Then for kick I have a model 162 topper buck 12ga, 24 inch barrel single shot that weighs a tad over 5 pounds. 5.3 to be precise.. With a brenneke black magic magnum it is dangerous to shoot(602 grain bullet @1502fps out of a 5.3 pound gun).. It makes a 3 1/2" 10ga feel like a 20ga low brass..
Ive personally seen it break one collar bone and blacken many good men..

Last edited:

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
Then for kick I have a model 162 topper buck 12ga, 24 inch barrel single shot that weighs a tad over 5 pounds. 5.3 to be precise.. With a brenneke black magic magnum it is dangerous to shoot(602 grain bullet @1502fps out of a 5.3 pound gun).. It makes a 3 1/2" 10ga feel like a 20ga low brass..
Ive personally seen it break one collar bone and blacken many good men..

As I mentioned in a former post, Dad got me a Topper Junior 20ga. made for young people, that kicked so hard if you held onto the foregrip, it would pull off in your hand. I'll be the H&R executives never let their kids shoot one!

Carl

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2003
Western Kentucky
There have been several, such as a RG revolver, but the worst had to be my childhood H&R Topper Junior in 20 gauge. It kicked so bad, if you had too much hold on the fore end, it would come off in your hand. I don't know what evil inventor thought it would be great for kids to shoot, but he should be horse whipped. A close second was my Dad's old J.C. Higgins bolt action 12ga shotgun. He never used it, and when I shot it the first time, the pain showed me why. It was the clumsiest, slow, and ugly shotgun I've seen. 10 or 12 years ago there was a national recall on all these guns ever built, all I had to do is mail in the bolt and they sent me 150 dollars. It seems they weren't just horrible guns, they were defective .......the lugs would shear and the bolts would blow out and lodge in shooter's foreheads.

I wonder if this was made by Mossberg? I have one in .410 that is a nice little shotgun. Mine was made in the mid 1940's

Carl

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2003
Western Kentucky
Years ago I had a Stevens bolt action 12 gauge (2 shot box magazine) with the barrel chopped to about 20" with no choke...started using it rabbit hunting...I remember hunting near an old garbage dump, kicking my way through a grown up field when two rabbits jumped...first shot with low brass 7 1/2 shot (because they really did hurt) rolled the first rabbit...then I grabbed the bolt and racked it with just a bit of twist and found myself holding a shotgun in my left hand and the bolt (or parts of it at least) in my right hand...the second rabbit even stopped to watch as I tried to put the bolt back together but got bored over time and wandered off...
Bahahaha

Latest posts