Whats the reason for House Bill 60?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Davidlondon4, Jan 13, 2013.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I agree 100 percent, This will be the worse thing ever for real coyote hunters that like the challenge of calling.

2. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Yeah because the ones you call in and kill at night are easy and there's no skill involved:rolleyes: I guess I won't share any of my night hunts because I won't be considered a real coyote hunter lol.

3. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

I cant see this being a good thing, at all.

4. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I don't think night hunting will matter one way or the other. A few people will night hunt but most won't. It certainly won't hurt the coyote population much. As for educating coyotes, I think Foxpro has done more to educate coyotes than anything else.

Will poaching increase? Maybe. Poachers will poach no matter what laws are on the books. Trespass laws are still valid. If someone is on your property without permission, day or night, they can be prosecuted.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Cityslicker dont take stuff so personal, If youve been coyote hunting you know what im talking about. There are alot of people who dont put in any time trying to hunt they just go out and shootup the woods. Night hunting will bring them out in groves! Ive been hunting coyotes for almost 30 yrs and every year i see more and more people that buy a caller and jump fences and hunt without permission, night hunting will just add more to it as they feel they wont be caught. The law wont do anything to them but fine them and give the state some money, just a slap on the wrist and make payments to the court house. Justice is a joke anymore!

7. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I know you and Possumal are big Foxpro guys and I'm not picking on just Foxpro. I probably should have said ecaller instead of Foxpro. There are lots of guys who grab an ecaller and go educate coyotes. They never call anything in but they blast Lightning Jack or whatever all over the woods. I mostly use hand calls. I do own a Minaska but rarely seem to use it anymore.

And yeah, Jimmie is on the no sell list at Foxpro. :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. Hey Semp,

I knew what you meant and I agree with you. It's the operator---not the caller.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting.

Yote Yoda

9. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I see what you're saying. I think if the penalties were stiffer and if the law breakers were prosecuted to the fullest extent then it would probably cut down on a lot of violations. But like you said the system is a joke.

10. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    So all you guys against this will not be night hunting,is that what you are saying. Just thought I would ask.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I will probably go alittle just to hold my spots away from the trespassers! Educated coyotes are not fun to deal with if they are causeing problems for farmers, and i have alot of cattle farmers who i help out. Im not against anyone who like hunting coyotes but i cant stand stupid people and this will fill the woods with them.

12. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    This is the bill that went to the Senate after Doug Morgan President on the Kentucky Houndsmen Ass.testified before the House Natural Resource Committee on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM room 154 Annex which added 4 months that you can hunt with lights when deer antlers are soft.

HB 60 (BR 285) - F. Steele, S. Santoro, J. York
    AN ACT relating to hunting coyotes.
    Create a new section of KRS Chapter 150 to allow hunters to take coyotes without bag limitation year round; allow hunters to hunt coyotes at night using shotguns that are 10-guage or smaller and bait or electronic calls to attract the coyotes.

HB 60 - AMENDMENTS

HCS - Delete original provisions of HB 60; amend KRS 150.360 to allow coyotes to be taken at night with or without use of light as provided in administrative regulation promuglated by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
    (Prefiled by the sponsor(s).)

Jan 8-introduced in House; to Natural Resources & Environment (H)
    Jan 11-posted in committee
    Feb 14-reported favorably, 1st reading, to Consent Calendar with Committee Substitute
    Feb 15-2nd reading, to Rules
    Feb 19-posted for passage in the Consent Orders of the Day for Thursday, February 21, 2013
    Feb 21-3rd reading, passed 99-1 with Committee Substitute
    Feb 22-received in Senate

13. lcaktz

lcaktz 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2011
    Williamsburg, Ky
    Well if this bill passes totally then my area of South Eastern KY will become a zone 5 county to deer hunt in. We have too many poachers now and the game wardens do not really wanna nail them so being able to be in the woods at night with a light will just cause more organized poaching just like the telecheck system is doing. Game warden in Georgia got shot by coyote hunters hunting at night a few years ago. I think it sounds good to the honest sportsman but with the good you have the bad. Rather just say no to the whole idea.

14. Dog Hunter

Dog Hunter Fawn

Jan 21, 2005

A truer statement has never been posted