Whats the reason for House Bill 60?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Davidlondon4, Jan 13, 2013.

1. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    This is on the agenda at the committee meeting at KDFW tomorrow and looks like it will be passed in committee and if it is passed at the commission meeting in March you won't need a vote on the bill.

If they add coyote to item 5 lights will be allowed.

150.360 Restrictions on taking of wildlife -- Discharge of weapon across public
    roadway prohibited.
    (1) No person shall take any wildlife, whether protected by this chapter or not, except
    by trapping, snaring, gig, crossbow, bow and arrow, hook and line, nets, gun, gun
    and dog, dog, falconry, or as expressly prescribed by regulation.
    (2) Shotguns used in the taking of wildlife, protected or unprotected, shall not be larger
    than 10-gauge and shall be fired from the shoulder. No wildlife, except deer,
    protected or unprotected, shall be taken with or by means of any automatic loading
    or hand-operated repeating shotgun capable of holding more than three (3) shells,
    the magazine of which has not been cut off or plugged with a one (1) piece filler
    incapable of removal through the loading end, in such manner as to reduce the
    capacity of the gun to not more than three (3) shells at one (1) time in the magazine
    and chamber combined.
    (3) No person shall take or attempt to take any wildlife, protected or unprotected, from
    an automobile, or other vehicle, unless prescribed by regulation. Boats may be used
    except as prohibited by state or federal regulation.
    (4) No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar
    device, upon, over, or across any public roadway.
    (5) No person shall take wildlife, except opossum, raccoon, fishes and frogs, with lights
    or other means designed to blind wildlife or make wildlife visible at night.
    Effective: July 13, 1990
    History: Amended 1990 Ky. Acts ch. 474, sec. 6, effective July 13, 1990. -- Amended
    1986 Ky. Acts ch. 265, sec. 15, effective July 15, 1986. -- Amended 1978 Ky. Acts
    ch. 178, sec. 13, effective June 17, 1978. -- Amended 1968 Ky. Acts ch. 38, sec. 18. -
    - Amended 1952 Ky. Acts ch. 200, sec. 48. -- Amended 1946 Ky. Acts ch. 84,
    sec. 14. -- Amended 1944 Ky. Acts ch. 124, sec. 9. -- Amended 1942 Ky. Acts
    ch. 68, sec. 37. -- Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October 1,
    1942, from Ky. Stat. secs. 1954d-56, 1954d

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Then I would just as soon it gets dropped. I have enough trouble with spotlighters out here now without giving them an excuse. Jimmie

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    So lets take away freedom from sportsmen because of illegal activities. Kinda sounds like gun grabbers mindset.

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

How many times you found livestock with bullet holes in it? I have and don't want any more of it. Jimmie

5. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Keeping law abiding sportsmen out of tge woods isnt going to cure that problem. But it would definitly put more eyes in the woods at night to possibly see illegal activities taking place or keep it from happening.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Or a disco ball. I hear yotes like to party.

7. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    How am I going to shoot your livestock on MY property or property that I have permission on?

8. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Anyone know the latest on this bill?

9. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
  10. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Its not the legal hunter that is the problem. Never has been never will be. And the rest of us have suffered more for it than they have. And more legal people out at night won't change it either. These people dont care about laws, they just need an excuse. And I turn in every one I can get a plate number on.

As it stands right now we see a light we can make a call and grab a gun. Doesn't matter who's field they are in either if we see them. Such a change in the laws is going to create more problems than it is worth for landowners.

And there are a large number of hunters who do not read all the laws pertaining to what they persue. Up until just a few years ago it was ilegal to take a fox or bobcat with an e-caller. Yet the number of post I read from kentuckians each year doing just that was astounding. One of the first success stories for a bobcat hunter posted on this forum was such a post. The laws for these animals clearly stated mouth calls only at the time. Yet because we were allowed the use of e-callers for coyote it was assumed they were legal for all predators by many.

Even though this reading states shotgun, we are going to have a large number of people out there with centerfire rifles because they think a shotgun is ineffective to hunt coyote. They are going to trot right out there with anything they think will do the job because they heard they can hunt at night without even bothering to read the law as it is. And these few will be totally firm in their belief they are hunting as legally as did those who broke the laws for calling bobcat when we first got it. Jimmie

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Has it passed yet????????

12. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    In my opinion this is only going to make things worse. I'm all for additional recreational opportunity, include furbearers as well within season. There is very little trapping these days and killing any nest predator is beneficial for ground nesting birds.

As for coyotes, a few might get killed, but many more will be educated and some wounded, that in turn makes them into dedicated livestock killers. Shotguns can be effective, unfortunately most will use what they have instead of buying expensive large shot sizes to effectively kill yotes. Most people can't judge 50 yards in the daytime, let alone at night.

So what will this bill really do?

In my opinion it will simply be an opportunistic window for poachers and thieves to have a legitimate excuse to be out there shining lights.

13. IMO +1. I don't think I would enjoy hunting at night anyway. I enjoy the challenge of calling them out in day light.

14. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Spot on, I agree 100%