Whats Protocol?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KyBucks10, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Will the real Si Robertson please stand up?

2. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

What he said............

3. mason0366

mason0366 8 pointer

Jan 4, 2008
    Eubank Ky
    Pay them out of your own pocket!

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    How would you feel if you lost wages when you were on time and the boss was late???

That is "the answer" to most things you will encounter- treat others as you would want to be treated in similar situations ;)

5. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    I would before I upset any of my employees.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    While I have no doubt your situation is a different setting / circumstances... but I was a supervisor over 3 trades for 15 + years before I retired from that position. Which now I'm back working for the same employer(different area) and recently promoted to basically a shift supervisor at our steam / power plant ...but definitely a lot less people to oversee.

That said.... I've worked with a lot of new supervisors over the years. My advice will always be.. in management you must lead by example.... and respect from subordinates & upper administration can never be demanded...it has to be earned.

In a nutshell relating to your situation ...yes..understandably there's "very occasional" & uncontrollable circumstances that arise as being late... but you have to hold yourself to a higher standard and take ownership for your actions. Again...I don't know your work situation... but I believe as you described.... there's absolutely no justification for docking hourly subordinates just because you were not there on time. Inturn this is where respect comes into play and defining yourself as a manager to your employees. Especially if your employees have given no suspect reason to believe they weren't on time as usual.

Which ....again I cant reiterate enough.. I just don't know your work setting.... and not trying be derogatory.... but the comments you made I quoted / bolded above..... are issues amongst theirselves that you need to be very careful in your actions. The Labor Department has specifics on reporting of time and not to mention "breaks" for hourly employees. Not having things...such as time clocks to make hourly accountable themselves ..or designated break periods opens a whole other can of worms. Just remember in those investigations the burden of proof is yours.. not the employee if a complaint warrants an investigation.

7. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    You should suggest to your boss that the company purchase a camera system so that they can keep track of what happens before you get there. They're cheap these days.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

My thought exactly.....And a 5 minute break ? You are joking right ? Takes more time than that to take a good dump. Did you ever work in this place before or just get hired as a manager ?

9. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I guess alot of us have been in hourly positions before we had supervisory positions, and are surprised you would even hhave the question you asked, your situation may be different.
    A bit of advice, take this or leave it. Except for very rare occasions you and you alone take responsibility for every fubar that happens for the people under you, and again for every pat on the back anyone gives you on the job, you make sure you give credit by name of all the people under you who were in the least bit involved. That is the key to respect, don't lose it.

10. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Sure, I've overslept but my coworkers or supervisors pay didn't suffer for it. I was going to say you're obviously too damn stupid for a management position, but on contrary you're probably exactly what they're looking for.

11. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Dang it, GSP, stole my sound advice thunder. Lol.

Dude, clock them in for 6:30 if you need to cover your own arse, but you damned sure better be making things right with your guys out of your own pocket.

Here's a second piece of advice. You can never go wrong doing the right or fair thing. Do what's right and you'll never regret it. With that in mind, Never, ever go on a public Internet forum and ask about stuff that call your own competency into question. This thread is proof that it always ends badly.

12. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius 6 pointer

Dec 5, 2009
    Somewhere Kentucky
    In this situation I see a new manager trying to do right by the employees and right by the company, and just a little unsure of himself as he learns the ropes. We've all been there, so I don't see the point in beating him to death over it. The goal here is to do the right thing, which you did in part, but without the conviction that an experienced manager would have had.

1. Don't dock your employees. It wasn't their issue, and it is patently unjust to punish them for it. I have worked for people who would have done the opposite, and they are company suckups unwilling to take personal responsibility for their own actions and pathetically desperate to climb the ladder at anyone's expense.

2. Own up to it with your employer. You did so by calling your boss on your way to the job which was the right thing to do, but I think your miss was that you didn't give him a solid position on not docking your employee's pay right then and there. I believe you should have stated what you did, that you were not going to dock your people's pay, and that you hoped an apology with no repeat was enough for the company. THEN, you should have immediately asked what you could personally do to make it right if your admission and promise weren't good enough.

That approach would have left you doing right by your people, as well as looking decisive and owning your responsibility to your employer. It's all armchair quarterbacking, but you asked about opinions on protocol and that's how I see it, FWIW.

In any situation like this, the first point of contact should be to your manager. Own up to it, state your position, ask what needs to be done to make it right. If he is unable or unwilling to settle the matter, THEN it's time to go to HR. Why? Because HR's sole interest is in the company and will rarely do what is truly right for all parties involved, so they should be your go-to only after other attempts to right the situation with your manager have failed, or unless he makes the call to go there himself. The only other exception would be if you knew of wrongdoing and needed to blow the whistle, but that's a different situation altogether.

13. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Follow this advice next time. WWBD??

What would Bill Do??

14. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I have to ask. Have you ever actually had a job before this? You sound like a kid that came straight out of college and was put into a management position. I can't reasonably fathom anyone, that has ever had a job before asking a question so incredibly stupid.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. ky_bull

ky_bull 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2005
    Washington County
    Lol, way more time and effort has been put into this thread than needed. But it's defitnaly been an "entertaining" one to say the least. "Common sense isn't so common anymore". Next time your going to be late do everyone a favor, and just stay home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.