What's hunting coming to ?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Sirhuntsalot, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Sirhuntsalot

Sirhuntsalot 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2002
    Henderson, Ky., USA.
    There is an outfitter here in western ky. near where I live that is building a 27 acre pond and several small ponds for duck hunting. So, you say. Well what makes it different is they are going to release pen raised ducks that are trained to fly back and forth on these ponds. To top it off I'm told the hunters are going to be paying 500 dollars a day to hunt these tame ducks. This sounds as unsportsman like to me as hunting penned deer. As long as we have these so called "hunters" with deep pockets with no desire to go out and earn what they hunt, we are going to have someone out there giving them what they want. I wounder what some of the old timers would think if they could come back and see how things are changing?

2. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    they dont have to come back 'cause im sure they're rolling in thier graves!
    its all about money, thats what it boils down to. these people know that the "weekend warriors" will shell out the cash for a guaranteed
    outing

"If you can learn to be an effective squirrel hunter, you can be a good hunter, period." Herold Knight

3. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    Honestly, I'd rather those types be sitting on those ponds than standing in a slough with me or in a boat on the water. It is not hunting to me. They could save themselves a whole lot of money and just go straight to buying a mounted bird in my opinion.

4. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    this issue has raised a super big stink on the Refuge (Kentucky) in which the owner of the place tries to justify his operation and i for one can tell you as has many other they need to pull the plug on this fella ...if you have time go read it.. voice your opinion maybe he will get the message
    Operations like his give "Real Hunters" bad names

"A wise indian once said,the more you move the less you will see,the less you move the more you will see"

" I live to hunt, but my wife says i may be hunting a place to live"

5. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Im familiar with the canned duck-hunting spot and the owner. Not surprised. It's not always lazy hunters that unwittingly buy into these hunts.I feel sorry for the guy who, sitting there, realizes 30minutes past first lite that things don't seem kosher[:0] PULL!!!!!!

what u get out, is what u put in

6. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    Guys this is not new. Years ago I saw a piece where they were releasing ducks and shooting them as they flew across the blinds. It's not hunting and shouldn't be classified as such. Let's face it, a high percentage of the people who enter the woods know little about real hunting. They are placed on a stand that someone else scouted and they wait for the game to come. Put them in a squirrel woods (when squirrels were pressured) 40 years ago and they would come home empty handed. It's sorry to say but it is only going to get worse, as we are a society of instant gradification.

7. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    Big Money will ruin hunting as we know it. I've been preaching against all the high dollar leases and 300 dollar a day deer and turkey operations even when "fair chase"[?]. They squeeze out the entry level family man and will soon doom our sport. Most of the Outdoor Channel etc shows now take place on places open only to the big dollar boys. They give false expectations to the young hunters and the non hunting public think it is all about the kill.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

When a vote to outlaw hunting comes down. And someday I think it will come to just that, who do you want on your side ? I would want every weekend warrior, dyed in the wool hunter and those who pay big $$ to hunt places like you are talking about voteing on my side. It might not be hunting as far as you see it but to those people it might be as close to a real hunt as they will ever be on.

9. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    I agree that it will come down to some type of voter referendum in the not too distant future. However, I strongly believe that so many of the young hunters will have been squeezed out by that time that we won't have their vote or they just won't bother to vote. I know I'm not going to change many minds on this and if you've been reading any other forums you know you won't change the minds of others that share my view. We are not going to have the hunter numbers (votes) if the average guy is priced out because these leases are bid up to the price of a new truck[:(]. Jump over to the NWTF page and dig around for some old post regarding what is happen to the Florida WMAs because of the big money boys willingness to pay whatever is necessary to convert what was once public land to their own use. It will spread north to KY. Greed is an evil thing.

10. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    "It will spread north to KY". Ever hunted waterfowl around Ballard? "It" is already here and has been here for years. Both sides have good points. This is the age of instant gratification. We are losing our future hunters by the score to Nintendo, ball sports, cars, rock concerts, girls, (we had the same problems with this one), and a million other things that TV, magazines and the movies are pushing down their throats. We can't educate them that nothing is finer than watching a sunrise from a ridge over looking a fog shrouded valley below, (regardless whether you even see the game you pursue). We can only show them and hope that it sticks in their minds and they come back to it when all the other glitz fades with time. If the play hunters use the tame ducks to become initated into real hunting, it may serve a purpose. After all one of the most discouraging thing for a young hunter is to spend his money, get up before daylight, day after day, spend the day in the field and see nothing and hear nothing except for us old heads telling about the good old days or how the birds are being held up up north. The extra political clout doesn't hurt either.

11. Bottolfsen

Bottolfsen Fawn

Sep 22, 2003
    I would have to agree with ksp965. We are losing our young hunters to many things. How many hunters watch football instead of hunting? People get distracted. They don't want to "waste" (sorry) a day walking and waiting and not see a thing. Lots of these places let you shoot more than your limit. Some of these people are farmers that are trying to make ends meet and use part of there land for hunting to make and extra income. I have feelings on both sides. Don't always judge a person on there jobs. Dont mean to upset any one.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Let put a differant twist on this for a minute. Lets say you have a couple kids ages 6 & 7. Now you want to introduce them to fishing. Do you take them bass fishing to a place like Kentucky Lake quite large in space where you might fish all day and catch one or none or do you take them to a place loaded with fish eager to jump on any lure, that being farmer Joes stocked pond. The pond however has a couple catches, it is not far from your home but farmer Joe charges a couple bucks for each person in order to buy more fish to stock, chemicals to keep the pond weeds under control and gas for the tractor to keep the banks mowed where easy access can be obtained. Same goes for pay hunting in some cases. Those kids unless they have a good time will not want to return again and there is two fisherpersons lost to TV or whatever.

13. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    The key words there are "a couple of bucks". These operations and so many big leases are no longer "a couple of bucks". That is the problem. The kids of what you speak don't have the big bucks to emulate all the "professional hunters" they see "buying" their deer, turkeys, elk, etc on these high priced hunts. There was one show on the Outdoor Channel that only hunted public land. It wasn't that well done and I'm not even sure it got renewed but I enjoyed it more than some of these other shows that always end with, "be sure and contact old Joe here at the Smokey Joe Ranch for a great hunt". Click on old Joe's web site and find out old Joe gets about $1,500 just for a three day turkey hunt. PLEASE!

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You know the way around those high dollar leases ?? Get out there work and earn enough and buy your own property. Then after the tax bill comes, the insurance bill comes, the labor and cost of food plots are added. Come back and tell me that duck rancher has no right to do what he is doing.

15. broadside

broadside 6 pointer

I don't care how much they cost or how much they spend. I choose not to participate. It's called self gratification, what makes ME happy. If paying $5,000 for a deer makes them happy, so be it. I just try and vote for who I think will preserve my hunting rights and public land. That's all I can do.

Who was that masked man?