whats a sharp from the package broadhead

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by benhoward, Sep 19, 2020.

1. benhoward

benhoward Fawn

Oct 16, 2008
    whats a sharp from the package broadhead, ive purchased several different brands i tried muzzy trocars from walmart today hoping for them to be usable, not so lucky these things are so dull you couldn't cut yourself if you tried.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Silver Flame
    Steel Force
    Magnus

Fanattic78 likes this.
  3. Fanattic78

Fanattic78 Spike

Dec 19, 2017
    Western Ky

he is dead on we need to go back to basics in a way these broad head companies have all outsourced to china I bought some NAP hell razors, used to use razor back 5's all the time the box on the hell razors said razor sharp I liked they are one piece, They would even scratch you wrote them an email and left a crappy review they never replied and never posted the crappy review on their website.

4. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Slick trick broadheads are very sharp out of the package as well but agree I like magnus broadheads for out of the box. I shoot single bevel grizzlys which the package says it needs sharpening out of the box but They will hold a edge like none other I’ve ever used.

Drahts likes this.
  5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Replaceable blade heads, Slick Trick gets the nod, followed by G5 Strikers. Here are some pics of an out of the package Slick Trick blade. They were sharp, but I decided to see if I could work em a bit and make them better. Notice the grind? Not even? I went through 6 heads and worked every one of them the same way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

invasion36, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  6. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Ram cats is what I use. My buddy’s swear by grim reapers and they kill way more deer than me

7. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’ve used Muzzy for years never a problem killed bears and deer both , I switched to mechanicals for a bit and used the cheap rocky always got them from field supply , they r on sale now for 6.00 for 3 cheap and deadly killed bear and deer both with those also but now I shoot muzzy and Montecs the montecs you can sharpen

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I have a little sharpener that takes just a couple of swipes to get blades sharp. If I get a head that like and tunes well its not hard to get them sharp most times.

9. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    Mayslick
    Ironwill broadheads are extremely sharp. Just shot a doe with one, hit ribs but passed through and stuck in thedirt and it will still shave hair off my arm.

10. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I've heard good things. They're proud of them for sure... Which head do you shoot?

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive worked with and heat treated that same A2 steel they use to make thier broadheads. Its some crazy tough stuff and holds an edge for a long time. Its true cutlery grade tool steel used in the machine and die industry too. The heat treat is labor intensive and requires PID controlled kilns to do it. Its a better material than Ive ever seen used in a broadhead before

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    oh and just for the record I like slick tricks

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Honestly, I've never bought any broadhead that wasn't razor sharp out of the package. It's always been how long they stay sharp.

14. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Another vote for slick tricks

Drahts likes this.
  15. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Grim Reapers pro 3 blade for me...