What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ColbyKiller, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-ROD

J-ROD Fawn

Oct 14, 2008
    Bowling Green
    I have been in quite a few discussions about the protection thing in Mo where Im from. Since Im new to the state, is it Illegal here in Ky to carry a pistol with you while bow hunting? I know it is in Mo. We had discussion about it on the MOE forums and it would greatly benifit those who might be in that sittuation. Or any other for that matter (Yotes, snakes, ect...). You never know who your dealing with when you meet someone face to face like that. Escpecially now adays. I feel for you man I would have been scared, Id contact the authorities.

2. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Well, you will have to make your own decision. But we have property on the Nelson/Marion county line, which at one time was considered the marijuana capital of the US, home of the cornbread mafia, etc. Don't see it near as much anymore, but have dealt with it more than I ever cared to.
    I would want to know the guys name, and watch my back. I wouldn't call the law, just brings problems in my opinion. Dope growers don't like to grow it where anybody thinks they are growing, I would bet he won't be back. Make it known that you and the other members plan on using this land, and using it alot. They like land that nobody frequents.
    Had a cabin burned down some years ago from the dope growers, even learned that some law enforcement were in on it. They are a nasty bunch, and in the end always win. From booby traps to rattlesnakes in peoples mailbox, I have seen or heard it all. Its a bad bunch.

3. GMo

GMo 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    I think I might have put a broad head in him. I would have been pretty shook up.

4. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    That's a nice defeatist attitude.

They don't always win, as I can point out numerous folks serving long stretches in prison for growing dope or making meth.

Call the local LE agency, and if they don't do anything (I really don't believe the posters that say they didn't, but you never know), then call KSP. I'm sure they're always looking for a good drug bust to go do.

Seriously, call KSP. There's a few of them on here, if I remember correctly. They'll be happy to help out. Hell, if nothing else, call your local CO. They'd probably like the opportunity to seize some more nice trucks and guns to sell off at auction.

Point is, if you find someone doing this crap, do WHATEVER it takes to help LE get them off the street. If some turd puts a rattler in your mailbox, feel free to file wanton endangerment charges against them. If you catch them doing it, feel free to beat the crap out of them...I mean, feel free to use the necessary force needed to stop them from doing it.

That's what's nice about Kentucky...we have VERY good laws that allow decent folks to protect themselves. And, knowing the country folks, I seriously doubt one would even be charged with a crime for beating the crap out of a guy putting a snake in their mailbox. They'd probably get a medal for doing a public service. Don't let dopers intimidate you into ignoring/allowing them to do their business....that's what it boils down to. Stand up to them, fight them, and they'll move on to the next area. Dopers don't like attention, as it puts a damper on their business. They may try some threats, and a few may even do stupid things to intimidate some people...but, fight back, and don't give them any room to do their illegal activities. Eventually, they'll leave, and find a quieter location at which to operate.

Again, if local LE is unresponsive to your complaints about dopers, then go to KSP. I'm sure they'll be happy to handle it. If you have proof that local LE is involved, take that to KSP as well. Contrary to what the TV and movies would have you believe, most cops aren't corrupt. Some are stupid, and some really ARE bad, but it's a small percentage. I've been in the field for over 8 years, and the wife is right at eight. I know literally hundreds of officers, and the VAST majority are just guys and gals trying to do a job. They're no more corrupt than the next guy..some are lazy, some are trying to be Robocop, most are just trying to make it to retirement with the same numbers of holes they started with. Keep that in mind when dealing with them, and you'll be fine. Just keep going up the line if you don't get help with the local agencies. If you live in the county, call the sheriff. If your city has it's own PD, no matter how small, call them first. Agencies can get pissy over jurisdictions, and some don't like others working in their area, even if they have jurisdiction in that area. If your county has it's own PD (like Oldham), then call them, too. Most counties don't have a seperate PD, but a few that have a bigger tax base will.

Point is, report ALL the dopers you find. Call in the locations of the field, give tag numbers if you see vehicles around, report the ID's of any people you know who're involved in it, etc. KEEP reporting it until something gets done....the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if you keep bitching about it, something WILL be done. Hell, if you're that unhappy about it, document everything you've done, and when you don't get a response, call the local newspaper/TV station. They LOVE to trash the police, so giving a story about LE not doing anything about known pot fields to the news will DEFINITELY light a fire under the locals...

Just don't bitch out, and give in because you're scared of a snake in the mailbox. Hell, hit the damn box with a stick before opening it every day, and you'll be fine.

5. Dead Deer Walking

Dead Deer Walking 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2006
    20 feet up
    AMEN.............Preach on brother !!

6. Docknboatlift

Docknboatlift 8 pointer

Mar 24, 2004
    Louisville
    Bring in the law. Then let everyone willing to listen know that you did.

He won't be back if you make noise loud and long about it.

You may not have stopped this guy this time, but you can stop them all next time if it is well known that you can find their operation and will bring in the law again. Makes it a losing proposition and they will go somewhere else at least.

7. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    CALL THE POLICE! That is the problem with the world we live in today, everyone wants something done about the problem but noone wants to get "involved". We live in a world of sheep with very few Sheep Dogs.

8. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Sorry to hear about your encounter Colbykiller. I think the marijuana laws are as dumb as it gets but I have no respect for someone who would grow it on somebody else's land without them knowing and potentially bring them down with him. Not to mention the simple fact that he's been trespassing all over your hunting ground which can't help your hunting.
    I have a friend who was squirrel hunting his place a few years ago and ran into some cops cutting down some plants. Lets just say they didn't exactly give him a warm welcome and even though they eventually figured out he wasn't involved he still had to go though a lot of nonsense. Do yourself a favor and call the law now so you won't have to go through something similar.

9. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Defeatist attitude, not even close. We did it your way first, we didn't get any help from the local sheriifs, and went all the way to the KSP. Everything was suppose to be confidential, so it was a bit of a shock when our cabin was burned down, homes vandalized, timber burned, etc, etc. We didn't find out until later that the officer with the KSP was the culprit for leaking information. He went to jail for taking money from dope growers, to guarantee their crop wouldn't be found. He went to jail for it, and is a convicted felon. I would be happy to p.m. you his name, I am sure its easy to look up his story since he was a Ky state trooper who was sent to prison.
    If you have read any of my post on trespassing, you would see how many people we have prosecuted on our own. We all carry cameras,and get pictures of trespassers, and then ask around town who they are. Once we know who they are, we go see the county attorney, and the sheriif serves them. We have prosecuted dozens and dozens.
    But dope growers are a different breed, been there done that. We handled it our way the second time, and its worked and there have been no repurcussions.
    If this guy calls the cops, whats going to happen? The cops MAY go visit the guy, but the dope is long gone. No charges will be filed, and then you have a criminal who is mad as hell at you.
    Do whatever you decide is best for you, but those of you that act like it its some no brainer, have no idea. Been there done that, and I know which way worked for me, and which didn't.

10. ColbyKiller

ColbyKiller 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I think I may have figured out his name and which county he's from. I'll probably ask around and see what I can find out about him and let him know I know who he is. Like I said, I'm pretty good friend with one of the game wardens and the other comes to my dad's store and talks to him quite often. I've had the game warden down on this property before due to road hunters so he knows about all the happenings around the area. I hate to use the method of, "I know somebody" but I'm more than pretty sure he would stand up and vouch for me if more was found. I'm very good friends with the police chief's son, and have a friend who recently become a deputy. Another friend's brother in law is a state trooper and we talk every so often. They know me and know the kind of person I am along with my family which is who is in on the lease with me. The one guy that isn't family that is in on the lease used to do handgun training with the local law enforcement his gun range.

I keep saying dad's store or shop, but to enlighten everyone a little, it's a hunting and fishing store. He's been in business for 12 or 13 years now and is well established and actually supplies our local law enforcement. As said earlier, they know what kind of stand up people we are. I can only imagine that this would have to play a part in whatever comes of this but maybe I'm wrong.

11. Fowlercon

Fowlercon 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2006
    TheVille
    What did the land owner have to say about the matter?

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Yep, it seems that most folks overlooked the part that he was only leasing the land for hunting.

It was after dark and the drug guy asked you if you were Anthony. That tells me that he may have already known the landowner. Either that guy scouted out the hunters from afar and saw that your father (whom he knew) was one of the hunters, OR more likely, somebody verbally told the drug guy that "Anthony" was leasing the farm (probably the landowner).

I'd be careful with this one, since the guy knows both you and your father. Personally, I'd be going to the police.

You need to tell the landowner since it's his property. If you tell him what happened, and he seems like he wants to put the lid on it, I'd probably start looking for a new place to hunt. A law-abiding landowner who wasn't aware of this type of activity would almost certainly be calling the police and/or the FBI to put an end to it. I know I would, and I just can't imagine anything good coming from keeping your mouth shut and having dopers staking claim to your farm as a safe haven for their operations. By knowingly allowing people to grow drugs on your land without contacting the police, you run the risk of felony charges of aiding/abetting or complicity.

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    I can only imagine. :)

Note to self, do not grow dope on slickhead's property.

14. bigd33

bigd33 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2006
    In a holler
    I would have to.. :)

15. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Theres no way you go in there again without your pistol. You sound like a smart guy so take your gun. The next time this fool gets in your face stick your gun between his eyes and he won't come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.