What wma for small game/birds

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Bigfish, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Bigfish

Bigfish Fawn

Feb 18, 2004
    Ky.
    Trying to intro a new person to rabbits and maybe birds, but don’t have any access to private land anymore. What wma within 1.5 hours of Lexington would you start with? No dogs just a couple guys walking. Thanks

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Take them squirrel hunting, on any WMA. Rabbits and birds will be damn near impossible on public ground without good dogs. Squirrels are almost a guarantee.

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am dyeing to hunt a few quail jut haven't made it out yet with my grandson. My lab does ok but I would love for my grandson to see a real point and flush bird dog. I have several coveys on my other farm and since the middle of summer there has been a covey staying close to my house . We have jumped them up a few time at the edge of my yard here lately . This evening I heard some whistle like they were gathering back up.

HeadedWest likes this.
  4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I'd bet someone would help you out with getting your grandson that experience in exchange for a few birds or heck idk maybe they'd just be satisfied getting their dog on some birds since their isn't many to speak of.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    That we may do . I have not let anyone hunt except me , my son and grandson . We only take a few birds each year since 1996 on this farm in hopes they branch out to other farms. Now that I have seen several birds at my house I am sure this is working . My house / farm is less than a half a mile from my other farm.
    I would hate to tell someone that they could only take four or five birds. These are wild coveys and I hope they survive these damhawks flying around.

6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    In the last couple years it has become more and more common to hear them...Here’s to hoping my kids can hunt them guilt free.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I agree with the suggestion to squirrel hunt. There’s a lot more squirrels than rabbits or birds in KY.

8. kycommander

kycommander Fawn

Aug 10, 2015
    Jamestown, KY
    Depending on where you are I’d be happy to bring a pointer and let you’re grandson have a go at a few birds. I do t even have to carry a gun, I’d be happy just letting my dog get some work.

KYBluegill, jblack1, tbob131 and 2 others like this.
  9. AndySchulte

AndySchulte 6 pointer

Jun 18, 2020
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Squirrel hunting, especially right now, is a blast.

Any wma will do. Walk until you find some oak trees and hang tight.

Meatstick likes this.
  10. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I figured such but was dead wrong on Knobs State Forest. Hiked for 3 hrs and never saw the first squirrel...Couldn't believe it

11. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    They are there. More than likely they saw you before you saw them and flatten out on a limb or went in a hole. A hike in the woods is not a good method for fall squirrel hunting. If you can find someone with a good squirrel dog, noise is not much of a factor and it is an absolute joy to hear the treed dog and then look for the squirrel. We use suppressed .22's with subsonics. Hell of a lot of fun.

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Squirrels = Kleber WMA (Mt Vernon area off of 1707)...this is my squirrel spot...walk the fire break road out and back...lots of squirrels...
    Limited out in about an hour last two times out...mix of both grey and fox squirrels
    Main unit area (horse trail) also very good...last time in there was a Quota hunt and I could have limited out with a baseball bat...

Rabbits = KY River WMA (you will need dogs to be really successful, but there are a lot of rabbits)...you will have company

Grouse = Daniel Boone National Forest (Rowan Co)...birds are few and far between and the terrain is brutal...dogs are a must...be careful anytime before the frost as snakes are plentiful...

Pheasants = Clay WMA...at least there is a Quota hunt for them there...never hunted them so I am not sure about a season (or even if there is one)...

xbokilla likes this.
  13. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Rabbit and quail Peabody would have to be number 1. Any wma for squawks.