What to plant to HOLD deer

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by jeffd34006, Jan 20, 2004.

1. jeffd34006

jeffd34006 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2003
    Lexington KY, USA.
    Any suggestion on what to plant to hold deer in/on the farm? I know you cant keep them solely on your farm (unles it is HUGE) but i think we lost alot of deer to other farms due to feeders. Any suggestions/observations would be greatly appreciated.

"A hunting license is a ticket to the ultimate health spa. It will cleanse the soul. It has never failed me." Ted Nugent

2. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    adam- GREAT point about needing more than one item to "hold" deer.

3. headhunter155

headhunter155 Fawn

Jan 11, 2004
    kentucky.
    If you could plant some iron and clay cowpeas in the summer the deer would flock to the area! I have planted many things and let me tell for summer and early fall nothing works better! I have found in in the fall when the peas are gone buck forage oats works pretty good for attracting deer also. I have planted persimmon trees on my farms also this is an awesome attractant for deer in bow season. I got the japanese persimmons because they produce fruit about the size of oranges and plenty of them. In my opinion this is the best to hold deer but that is only my opinion!

4. Where do you get these japanese persimmons or any other persimmons? I've been thinking about planting some apple trees on my place, some have told me the deer will not allow them to grow, will be eaten down? Any experiences?

5. Ed

Ed Spike

Mar 1, 2004
    Nashville, TN.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by [email protected]</i>
    <br />Where do you get these japanese persimmons or any other persimmons? I've been thinking about planting some apple trees on my place, some have told me the deer will not allow them to grow, will be eaten down? Any experiences?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Deer will certainly gnaw apple seedlings to the ground, so will rabbits. To hold deer in an area, I think that I would stick to the basics. Make sure that they have several different types of food available at any given time. Also make sure that they have ready access to clean water and cover both for bedding and travel. Edge habit is good and a natural salt lick or mineral blocks (if legal up there) would also help.