What to look for in a shotgun pattern

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Just got a new choke tube from Carlsons and I am wanting to see what kind of range I can get out of my heavy shot dead coyote t-shot. What pellet count and I looking for in a 10 inch circle to be deadly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I just look for where the most concentration of the shot lands, in relation to where I was pointing it. Left, right, low, high. Keep stepping away, till about 50 yds, so you know how shell and choke works together. Ya prob don't want to shoot much further than 50 with legal shot sizes, even if lots of pellets in kill zone, penetration will be slacking off quickly. Then again it is just a coyote, gangrene kills too. Lol j/k

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Each shotgun shoots different shot and even different brands of ammo differently. You may be shocked with the results of patterning your shotgun. Might also want to check out predatormaster.com. There is a "sticky" over there on shotgun patterns that goes on and on.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I will give that a read right now. I have tried a few different rounds and chokes. So far the front runner is hornady heavy mag coyote in BB. Just not a fan of BB energy for coyotes. I will be using them for bobcat this year though. Pattern great out of a IC choke. Or at least what I think is good @40-45 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I know it's an expense but if you do a lot of patterning, painting a 30 inch or larger steel plate with a coffee can of grease works great, still have to walk up every shot and rub the brush, but saves on paper.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Butcher/freezer paper works good for patterning too. Just staple it to a free pallet. I'd think with a coyote penetration would be a consideration, as well as, the pattern. The are various ways to test penetration but I've never saw any that were apples to apples comparisons unless you shoot some type of carcass or have access to ballistic gelatin it's hard to get an accurate test.

7. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah I loklomed up the post on the predator masters forum and it seems to be at least 5 hits in a 8-10 inch circle is what is good. Guess I will have to find out the stopping power for distances the old fashion way and just shoot the coyotes to see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

That's my set up. I have an EoTech sight on mine and I once I got it all sighted in I was getting 16 pellets at 60 yards using 3 1/2 Hevi Shot Dead Coyote T shot.