What to look at when buying a used bass boat

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by east_ky_hunter, May 4, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Reckon we'd discuss it before hand, shake hands, and be on our separate ways....

CRFmxracer likes this.
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    FACT.

hope he never sees how a boat mechanic test runs a boat. Lmao

00noturkey likes this.
  3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    It’s actually bad for boats to not be ran hard. Carbon build up fouls plugs and and can funk with injectors. Ask any boat mechanic which engines last longest and they will tell you the ones that are ran hard.

00noturkey and drakeshooter like this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    A 15-20 minute run at full speed is nothing for an outboard. When I fished tournament fished Ky/Barkley in the 80's and 90's, hour runs weren't uncommon. Even on Barren/Nolin/Green, 15-20 minute dashes at blastoff were the norm. Our 150 XP is 36 years old, been rebuilt once. We don't push it for sure. I can't remember the last time it hit 50. But up until 2000 or later, it hit 70+ every trip.

drakeshooter and CRFmxracer like this.
  5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Last month bassmaster on the Sabine River guys were making 130 mile runs each way. It ain’t nothing for em.

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I got a old 79 model had little work done the boat guy said if you are going somewhere turn your cap around open it up said it does its best like that,

00noturkey and CRFmxracer like this.
  7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Fished out of Little River in late May. Friend of mine had found some big schools of large bass at Paris Landing. We made the run. 75 miles or so. Took us over an hour to get there. Won the tournament, bigly.... lol. The ride back took us almost 2 hours. 7-8 mph winds out of SW. Had it been due South, it would have been worse. We won just enough money to pay our gas for the day, lol. Good times.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    That’s a wayS. My second Skeeter was running rough and mechanic couldn’t figure it out so I filled it up with some ring free to try to clean it out. Ran it trimmed out for all she had all the way from blood river to New Johnsonville and back one afternoon. Didn’t fix the problem. That boat ended up being totaled in a fire but my mechanic bought it and line-x’d the hull and put every add on out there on it for his personal boat. Sold it a few years later, it still had that hiccup everytime you tried to get on plane it would hesitate but never blew up or anything.

9. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I know how they run them I lived couple houses down for years from a guy that runs a boat repair shop. I think you are missing my point. I own the boat or whatever it is I’m selling until cash is in my hand it will not be treated like you or whoever thats testing it out owns it. I take great care of everything I’ve owned and I don’t baby it like someone said but I do respect others stuff if I’m buying it.

RLWEBB and slobear like this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Don't misunderstand what I'm saying.... By babying it, I mean I understand it's an older motor, and doesn't need to be run hard for long-like our's. If I was in the market for a used boat, it would be under 10 years old, and there would be no reason to baby it. If the person I was dealing with didn't want the motor run hard for 15-20 minutes, I would look else where. Right or wrong, that would give me the impression that there may be issues with it. That has nothing to do with respect, and everything to do with making sure what you're buying is in top working condition.

11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I get what your saying but really to know what you are getting motor wise on a boat the best thing to do is get a compression check done on it. We had a boat years ago that had a 200hp evinrude on it. It would run like a scalded dog even when one piston had very low compression that motor lasted about half a season after we checked it. Even giving it a good run down the lake a stranger would not have known a cylinder was about shot. I bought another boat once that ran out good. Fellow took us out and he laid into it a long ways (several miles)seemed very strong. After I got the boat it lasted 3 trips to the lake and I was putting another engine on it. I’ll never buy another without a compression check. It does have to do with respect. If a guy wants to see what it would do he would ask if it’s ok and better know what he is doing while running it. Too many people think they know how to handle boats ,atvs and motorcycles and don’t have a clue what they are doing. That’s the main thing I worry about.

slobear and bgkyarcher like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I get it. Like I said before, we’d discuss it ahead of time. If it was an issue, shake hands and go our separate ways.

littlebear likes this.
  13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Agree. If a guy is very serious and not just a tire kicker I’m good with him giving it hell but if I’m not feeling he is going to buy it I probably wouldn’t even put it in the water for him.

14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I get your point of view and I could understand no test drives without cash in hand but a compression test will not tell you everything. My last Skeeter I bought from a dealer. Drove 4 hours to look at it. Took it out and started running it hard and the sales guy stops me and says hey that’s not necessary. I said if I can’t run it and make sure it’s not gonna pop I’ll hit the road home empty handed. He shut up and at the end of the day I’m sure he was glad he did because he got a hefty commission off a 35 thousand dollar boat.

15. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Easy there chief. 2 cycle motors can take wide open for extended periods but you are hurting engine. Lower units are not designed to be ran wide open for extended periods and I suspect you have learned this from your post. These new 4 strokes are definitely gonna screw people up buying them used, they are NOT designed to be ran wide open for extended periods and are getting abused by original owners.

Also no one would run my boat wide open for extended periods or they better be able to swim. That is a ridiculous way to verify motor anyway.

littlebear and High Rack like this.