What to look at when buying a used bass boat

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by east_ky_hunter, May 4, 2021.

1. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Do not under any circumstances ever buy a boat without running it first. I can’t tell you how many stories I’ve heard where people buy one without a test run and immediately have problems

beauhunter41031 and RLWEBB like this.
  2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Check to see if the live wells work, if the pumps leak, if they’ll hold water, and if they will recirculate. Also make sure you check out the compartments and the lids. Stand on the lids and see if they sag or feel week. Also check the shocks on the lids. Seems to everything else has been covered in all the proceeding posts. I’ve owned two Rangers over the past 20 years or so and I love them and enjoy owning them so here’s my last piece of advice. Have fun in the buying process. Take your time and don’t be in a hurry. Boats and boating are supposed to be fun. Good luck and post up some pics.

00noturkey and CRFmxracer like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I saw a transaction take place yesterday in the parking lot at the state dock on Barren. Trailer was dripping, so I guess they just got back from a test drive. Nice dual console Triton with 150 HP Merc. Dude looked all over it, in it, under it... They messed around for about 30 minutes, then exchanged $, and signed paperwork. Unhooked from one truck, hooked to another. The buyer had TN plates. Very nice looking outfit.

4. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    You might be right on the older boats, the ones setting outside with no cover for several years, but on newer boats, you are dead wrong. These things cost way to much to not take care of, unless you bank account is overflowing with IDGAS money. I see these dealers all the time, and I can assure you that they are covered up with just the routine maintenance stuff, along with the oh shit stuff they deal with. Running the piss out of one is not what these motors were made to do, and one reason to have a dealer to a computer check on the engine, this will tell you all you need to know on the motor. If you run your truck or car like some guys do these boat motors, you would be setting on the side of the road constantly.

Feedman and RLWEBB like this.
  5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I've had 8 best days. Two fishing boats, a ski boat and a pontoon boat. I'm a slow learner and a glutton for punishment. :)

riverboss, RLWEBB and bowhunter269 like this.
  6. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Buddy you’re dead wrong. Outboards are designed to be run wot. Also, went to murray state, fished with a lot of kids who’s mommy and daddy bought them nice new boats. I was literally the only person on the team who took care of my boat, no one else even wiped their boat down when they got them out of the lake. We had 50+ members.

00noturkey and RLWEBB like this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im going to say you boys simply travel in
    different circles. Older guys that work for a living and invest in a boat that nice are going to take care of their shit, a 20 year old that was given a 15-30k boat from mommy is going to do well to wipe his ass regularly let alone maintain a boat properly.

8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Yes I will say the majority of dudes that are older do take care of them. I think it’s a generational thing. I do know some old guys who call boats tools and bounce them off docks and drive them straight into bushes.

9. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Hanging out at boat ramps again. He is gonna be on the news one day. I refuse to ask what transaction was viewed.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    All I know is if I was selling my bass boat and someone gave it five kinds of hell like one mentioned their butt would be swimming back to the boat dock period. I don’t even run mine like that and a stranger is not going to either. I agree with ones that said most who work hard and spend big money on boats take care of them. I didn’t spend big money but still take good care of mine.

slobear and carnivore like this.
  11. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Only way to find out if it’s gonna pop or not is Try to make it to. I’m not dropping 10s of thousands of dollars on a boat if I can’t guarentee it hasn’t been hacked together to get through a test drive. And you won’t sell a boat if you refuse to let a guy run it hard either. My last boat I sold 2010 Skeeter FX20 the guy came down from New York to buy it. He upgraded from a tiller motor boat so didn’t feel confident in driving it at speed. I ran it balls to the walls from one end of taylorsville to the other to show how solid it was. He handed over the cash and pulled away grinning from ear to ear.

00noturkey likes this.
  12. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Same with my truck that I bought. Flew to Minnesota met the dealer shuttle driver at the airport, as soon as I left the airport my foot was too the floor. Gotta make sure the transmission wasn’t gonna slip or any other 100 of things that could be wrong with any vehicle

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If I bought one, unless it was an older motor that I felt needed to baby'd, I'd run the hell out of it to make sure it was solid.

drakeshooter and CRFmxracer like this.
  14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I guess you would be swimming then if it was my boat. Getting on one for a little and giving it hell for a 10-15 minutes is different.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I’ve sold plenty of boats and not had a single person give it five kinds of hell for 10-15 minutes. All were respectful and got one it for a few and then drove like a normal person.