What to look at when buying a used bass boat

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by east_ky_hunter, May 4, 2021 at 11:06 PM.

1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Contemplating buying one. No owner experience whatsoever with boats, other than family and friends. What should I look for? I'm thinking... Make them run it for a few miles full throttle. Make sure it doesn't miss. Ask them to turn it off and start and let it cool down and start again, making sure it starts quickly during both cycles. Make sure the water pump appears to be pushing sufficient water at idle and full throttle. Check for water leaking in the bottom once finished. Anyway to check for blow by on a 2 stroke? Anything else?

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    How long it will take you to sell it once you get tired of sinking money in it.o_O:p

3. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Ask why they are selling it. Got a buddy said boat means
    B.bust
    o_Out
    A.another
    T.thousand

RLWEBB, woodsman92, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Run a compression test. ask when was the last time the water pump and lower unit oil was changed

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Ask about trailer bearing and the last time they were changed and greased.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Pre-inflation, 2-3k now lol

RLWEBB and Trapper Delk like this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Routine service performed? If so, by who? Look at bottom of hull, look at skeg, look at prop. Will tell you how boat has been taken care of or abused.

8. The two best days of boat ownership is,the day you buy it,then the day you sell it.That what friends tell me.No personal experience myself

woodsman92 likes this.
  9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    It’s nice when a boat has been stored inside for its life. I’d keep an eye out for any Handy Randy wiring or repairs done. Anytime I am scouring the Internet looking at photos I’m always looking in the background sometimes you can tell a lot about the situation just buy stuff in the background whether other things look organized and clean. Also when you go to look at it in person just getting an assessment of the overall quality of that individual’s life will tell a lot about how he kept up the boat. If a test drive is available I would definitely do that and it’s nice when their an avid fisherman/boater that used the boat often possibly just upgrading for something bigger. Most times the “it ran when it was parked” or “I’m just selling for my uncle Larry” are Problems
    Whatever you can find out about it before cash changes hands is the Key

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    RLWEBB, jblack1, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    All the above^^^. If things look sketchy on a deal i either walk or i reduce my offer to where i can part out for at least the purchase price.

RLWEBB likes this.
  11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Prop condition, lower unit cracks/broken fins, inspect hull for holes/repairs/cracks, soft floor spots, cosmetic condition, motor start/idle/full throttle, water inside after ride, wiring, make sure impeller pumps water, even compression across cylinders, trailer tires condition. Best advice is if it looks like it has been taken care of, it probably is good to go. If it looks neglected, then pay more attention. The motor and lower unit are the big ticket priced items. Everything else is nickel and dime for the most part.

I bought a used pontoon a few years back. I have to say, I have never had a bit of trouble from it outside of annual maintenance that I do myself. I actually can't wait to put it in the water in a few weeks. I had it at the lake a few weeks back on that warm April weekend we had. Boats aren't anymore expensive than any other hobby I have.

RLWEBB likes this.
  12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Yep I’d say your right. On kinda a diff note but bout same as you talking. I rented my house out to woman several years ago and she had a Escalade vehicle and when she got out some trash came with her. She had trash everywhere in her vehicle. I went ahead and rented to her. She stayed a year. Payed rent on time everytime. I should have inspected house every month. But didn’t. Lesson learned. It was terrible when she moved out. Took 3 days to cleanup. But anywho like you said check surroundings.

13. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Lot of it depends on how much your looking to spend. Don’t expect to get a 20k dollar boat for 5k and it be in great running order. I’ve never owned a bass boat but know a little. I’ve seen what looked like decent boats for fairly cheap, but if you get into engine trouble or lower unit trouble, the repairs can easily cost more than the entire boat is worth. If I was looking to buy a nice boat I’d want a good mechanic to look it over, compression test etc.

14. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Or even better thing to look for is a buddy with a bass boat. Tell him you’ll supply beverages and bait haha

RLWEBB likes this.
  15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Take it out and run the piss out of it. I mean wide open for 10 solid minutes. Check tires for uneven wear, bent axles etc, check date of manufacture on batteries, check trolling motor and graphs for functionality, dont need to check blow by take it to a shop for compression test. Crawl under it and look for gouges in gel coat. The majority of bass boat guys do not take care of their stuff. It’s hard to find a boat that’s been well taken care of.

Last edited: May 6, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    beauhunter41031 likes this.