What to do with logged woods

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by redjackson, Sep 19, 2021.

1. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Has he already bid out the timber? Depending on what's there and the grade of the trees it might not be all that much more to buy the timber rights with the land. If it were me, I would explore that avenue if you have the means. I would be a bit nervous being at a loggers mercy on land I just purchased. All I've really seen are situations where someone logs a property and then sells it rather than selling the land and retaining the logging rights. That way the buyer of the land knows what they are getting since the logging is already done, providing more incentive for the seller to make sure the logger does things right and doesn't rut the place up and damage existing trees, drainages, roads, etc. Just my $.02......

EdLongshanks likes this.
  2. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Guess I'm too slow of a typer, didn't see that you said timber was $400k. That must be one extraordinary stand of timber for 51 acres.............

carnivore likes this.
  3. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    51 acres has 400k of timber?

4. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    I would also put in some watering holes. If equipment is there an operator can put one in e trembly quick. We made several on our farm about 15 feet across little circles about 3 foot deep. The wildlife use them a ton

5. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Got about 10 acres more that will be cleared.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    There is 51 acres in KY with $400k worth of timber ???? I have 57 acres of timber..........looks like I need to bring out someone to bid it.

redjackson and EdLongshanks like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    All depends on the quality of the timber

8. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    According to the UK Department of Forestry, the average to the property owner is $1,033 per acre.
    I think you may have one too many zeros.

Even then, if the average propert value is $1,500 an acre and they're getting $1,033 per acre for the timber, I hope you're getting the ground for $500 an acre.

Something doesn't add up...

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Im just the guy buying the land from the guy thats selling the timber to the guy cutting the timber thats selling the logs to the guy at the mill lol. All im concerned with is the land im buying. Thats their dog and pony show with the timber.

carnivore likes this.
  10. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Please make sure you protect yourself when you buy the land so you know the means and method of logging, etc. I’ve seen people have land that’s a wasteland afterwards.

excited for you but don’t want a dream to become a nightmare.

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Try to inform yourself MUCH more before you sign the line.
    I've bought alot of little parcels, and this deal here scares the hell outta me lol

EdLongshanks and elmucho277 like this.
  12. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    The only way I personally would consider buying that piece is if the owner has it logged and the loggers are totally done before you purchase it. That way the owner could get his $400k (which must be from a solid 51 acre stand of veneer grade black walnut and white oak if that's actually what he was offered) and you could see if what is left is worth what he is asking for it. Don't know why the owner would be in a rush to sell it before it is actually logged. Like I and others have said before, that current deal would worry the hell out of me.

13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Hope you get it man if that’s what ya want. Sounds like some good huntin.

redjackson likes this.
  14. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Divorce has expedited the process. I know the owner, other buyer and sawmill personally. I know whats going to be left and buying it at a price that is reasonable for all parties. Its all good guys. I am happy to see guys willing to help a brother out. Much appreciated

Feedman, barney, bowhunter269 and 4 others like this.
  15. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Lol i was doing a little tropic thunder reference.