What to do when you hear no gobbling???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Huntin' Fool, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I guess we all have those friends....

2. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Go fishing!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    best answer yet!

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Lots of good advice posted.....find an area turkeys use, and be patient. Me, however..........I agree with Archer. If I can't strike one, I move on. I spend 100s of hours sitting in a deer stand. Waiting for turkeys works, but it's not for me.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    A big part of hunting ... especially turkey hunting ..is being persistent.

Which theres a lot of things the way our season is structured that dictates to less vocal toms in the latter part for a lot of areas. Combine this with populations where we hunt and hunting pressure... things can get pretty dismal. But that's another discussion entirely.

As such.....this is where persistence and adjusting our tactics comes into play. For me personally ... I drive 1 1/2 hours one way to our farm. Not hearing gobbles ... not really an option to turn tale and go home making it 3 hours on the road . I'm going to hunt ... the turkeys are still doing what turkeys do.

May mean as this year doing things I don't like .... setting up in areas you know they use and wait them out. Basically call less, rethink decoys and actually hunt the toms ... as often as you can. Which no doubt isn't the ideal situation a turkey hunter wants to experience. But no doubt your not going to fill a tag if you head home.

I remember listening to a Ben Rodgers Lee tape many years ago. He stated a turkey hunter must have two things to be consistently successful...a good boss and an understanding wife. As the more time were able to spend chasing turkeys the better turkey hunters we will become.

Lot of truth in that as not every tom will come easily.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

6. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

We never heard a bird yesterday morning and we're in a spot that I knew held birds. I was just doing some purrs and clucks every now and then wit no gobbling responses. It was very frustrating until I heard one drumming. He caught us completely off guard. I hadn't called for over 5 minutes but he had us pin pointed. He came on off the knob and I killed him at about 40 yards with him never making a peep other than drumming. I've never seen one drum without strutting but I did yesterday.

7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    If I don't hear birds I'll burn boot leather until I find a willing participant.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I like what JD said above. Much like a lot in hunting, location has a lot to do with strategy. With different land and situation I'm sure I'd hunt a little differently than I do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Read an interesting article in our local paper last Saturday. Don't have a good way of posting it ... but I'll try this.

[​IMG]

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

10. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I dont like hunting them if there not gobbling at all. Im a run an gun turkey hunter too. If they wont gobble i will keep moving. If that dont work i go home. An hope they gobble the next time i hunt.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Had to mention Henry Co didn't he. No wonder I'm not hearing as many gobbles. They're all dead. Nah, plenty of birds still out here. I expect a large percentage of sub adults in the Henry Co harvest. And since only 2 birds were recorded county wide during youth (Henry), I don't think an earlier opener would help much here.

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

BTW, I just checked the Harvest results and as of 5/4/16, Henry Co has 240 birds checked.

13. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I seen several long beards this year come out of the roost early morning most with hens some without an never made a peep. But everyone i seen did strut almost as soon as they hit the ground. My point is. Just because you dont here gobbling doesnt mean they arent there. Was a strange year to say the least thiugh.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

14. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

Talking to a friend that has hunted turkeys out west quite a bit the other day. He said the guides he uses told him this was coming a few years ago. He said once the hen population gets too large the gobbler stop gobbling. They do not have to take the risk of alerting predators to attract a mate. Kill the hens and it will open back up.

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The Henry County referenced in the article would the one in Tennessee.