What to do when you hear no gobbling???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Huntin' Fool, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Huntin' Fool

Huntin' Fool 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2014
    More times than not I don't get a lot of gobbling where I hunt. It makes it extremely frustrating as I am sure some of you know. Just wondering what the best approach to this is. Do you keep trying to move around until you hopefully hear one, or do go to the best spot you think one would be and hunker down? Should you stay 2, maybe 3 hours? I can get very impatient on these hunts and have never had success when I didn't have one not answering. Those of you who have had success, what is the best approach? Thanks and happy hunting!!

2. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Deer hunt style, stay in there and wait it out maybe one will walk by. It sucks but if you know birds are in there only way to do it. Or give it a few day s and come back again.

3. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    This morning heard zero gobbles early so just went and setup in a field I know birds usually like to hang out. Had 2 toms and 8 jakes fly down and finally talked 4 jakes into the decoys one bred my lay down hen for a solid 5 minutes then they decided to beat up on my jake decoy. That got the others attention and the two toms and 4 other jakes came running into the decoys. I missed but none of these birds ever made a sound only bird I heard was one of the two hens that flew down. The loud mouth birds die or learn quick. To continuously be successful you either have to caver a lot of ground to find the few loud mouths or learn to be patient and scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    This morning I didn't get a gobble till after 10. I make a big loop moving every half hour.

5. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    I have set up on a field edge and about every three or four minutes yelp eight or nine times on a slate or something that will carry A distance. Once in awhile one will come in silent. It takes patience and sometimes I don't have much as I get older.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Ambush!! Know the travel routes and wait.

7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    It is hard to wait it out, but a couple times I have convinced myself there were no turkeys within 100 miles and when I started walking, I found out they were nearly on top of me and if I had sat a few minutes longer I would have gotten a shot. It is hard to know what to do in that circumstance because they are silent and you don't have ESP. It makes you feel like a dummy when you see turkeys flying away because you goofed. I tend to stay in one place longer than I used to If I don't hear any birds in the distance.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Turkey hunting sucks when they aren't vocal. I love turkey hunting for the displays of strutting and aggression. I'd just as soon watch paint dry as sit and hope a tom strolls by.

9. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I've had the best luck just staying out until they come out to feed then either put the stalk on them or just see where to set up the next day

10. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    This is perfect example. Something similar happened, four jakes and two hens, came into the field without a peep.

11. Stickem15

Stickem15 Fawn

Mar 24, 2016
    Patience patience patience

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'll go home and mow grass before I'll sit and hope one walks by. I don't get much gobbling either but I have to move around. Hunting means you're looking for something; sitting in one place is just waiting.

I move along the ridges, stop at a high knob or a low gap, sit against a tree and make a few soft yelps, wait 10 minutes, then move on. Last year I had a bird show up silent within 2 minutes at one of my sits, and I took him. I may miss a few birds moving around that way but for me the only alternative is to pack it in and leave. Screw that sitting and letting moss grow on you.

I hit some high knobs before sunrise back in March and heard good gobbling. First week of April and the tree gobbling was over. Now you just have to luck into a bird that doesn't have hens around and hope he gets lonely and sounds off.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    So do you move when deer hunting? Or is it ok to wait? I mean isn't it also good hunting strategy to find a travel route and try to intercept them? I love it vocal too but the "run and gun" is hard as heck where I hunt and it's so thick and woolly you'd better be in the right place at the right time. I will say it does suck to sit forever. I'm a big dude and my back and butt are sore in 20 mins!

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I do enough sitting and waiting in deer season..... I won't do it for a bird.... I'll move around and try to strike one. I might sit in a spot I know birds use for 30-45 minutes, but that's it. I cover a lot of ground, but I'm very careful.... I don't bump many birds.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I got friends that won't sit longer than an hour during deer season. I would say that they are impatient and scare everything in the woods but they've killed bigger deer than me so I leave it alone! LOL!