What the ?

hootowlman

8 pointer
Feb 18, 2007
A few weeks ago I bought a new remington 700 243 and put a scope on it and sighted it in with remington core lokt 100 grain. I had 3 shells when I got done and went ahead and shot them now I can't find a box of remington core lokt 100 grain anywhere even online whats up with that? If anyone knows where I can get a box please let me know Thanks:eek:

hootowlman

8 pointer
Feb 18, 2007
http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84330

We've already been through this hootowlman. If you can find something else, grab it and re-check your zero. These things happen when you wait until prime time for buying ammo just before deer season. I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes.. year after year after year. Gotta plan ahead, brother.

Dude I do understand I have been hunting deer for almost 20 years and have never had this much trouble finding shells ever. I was just wondering is there an ammo shortage, just my area or what. Also I didn't wait until primetime ammo shelfs have been bare in my area for a long time before season even came in. I was told that a guy in my area was buying all the ammo he could find and marking it up to resale at a profit. I was wondering if this was just my area or was it an ammo shortage. If I can't even get on here and ask a question or ask for help maybe this just aint the place for me..........DANG :mad::mad::mad:

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
I have zero problems with you asking questions, but you've already asked this one. I hate it for you man, really. If I had some .243 I'd probably give you enough rounds to get through the season, but yeah, there's a shortage and has been since late last year mostly due to panic buying and bloodsuckers buying/reselling at a profit because of that panic.

Calm down. Hang out. You'll find some ammo. What area are you in anyway?

hootowlman

8 pointer
Feb 18, 2007
I hadn't heard anything of a shortage thats the reason for the question. I live in Pike county. I can't find a box anywhere, I guess I will get whatever I can get a few boxs of this weekend and try to rezero it man I hate to rezero it. It was shootin about a 1" group at 110 yards. But I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do............

jeffb

8 pointer
Oct 27, 2006
hancock county
It is frustrating to not be able to find the brand of ammo you prefer. Been there done that. But I doubt your point of impact will change much with a different brand as long as you shoot the same grain bullet.

hootowlman

8 pointer
Feb 18, 2007
Hey guys I was able to find a few boxes of remington 100 grain core lokt over the weekend. I am so glad' I was about to freak out for a while there. Man I have never had this much trouble finding ammo in my almost 20 years of hunting......... good luck to all this hunting season:D

weedwalker

10 pointer
Nov 27, 2006
London,Ky
My Rem 700 .243 shoots the same with either Remington, Federal, or Winchester 100 gr SP. No need to re-zero. My rifle likes them all.

k-9 krippler

6 pointer
Feb 17, 2007
Eubank, KY.
I was thinking about getting into it. Does it cost a whole lot to get started?

It can, just like anything else! Just depends on how far you want to take it. The cheapest route to take is Lee. They do make some pretty good stuff, in my opinion. Not trying to say that there's not better out there, just depends on how far you want to go. Most of my reloading equipment is RCBS, Redding, and Lymman. That shortage you were talking about buying factory ammo, you should have been trying to find primers for the past year or so. Color me a panic buyer, but this year I bought what I could when I could. I guess that's what everybody was doing as well. Then for a short time bullets were hard to get. Oh you could get bullets just maybe not what you wanted. My only advice is if you do start to reload, don't exceed the max loads in the books. I know a guy that did that years ago, ruined a very nice Winchester. Just about ruined himself in the prosses.

RutNBuck

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
Northern Ky
Hootowl i fear this is only the beginning of tuff times ahead for us

i am pretty sure that some local walmarts carry them (in NKY)

where are you from?

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
One of the local big-box outdoor stores is advertising ammo on sale. With the rebates figured in, you can get them for about $12 a box of Remington, Winchester, and Federal.

As for reloading, the cheapest way to get into it to see if you want to go any further is with a Lee Loader. For about $20 and a hammer you'll get the basics you need to get started (you'll still have to get your powder, bullets, and primers though). If you just want to load a few boxes a year, this will work for you. If you want to load 100's to 1000's of rounds, you'll want more.

scsims

10 pointer
Oct 14, 2003
Mercer/Washington County
Actually the POI can change with just a new box of the same ammo. So it's a good idea to check with each new box. I just recently had a box of Winchester power points that I was sighting in with my son's 243. It wasn't very accurate with the box I had. About 5" at 100 yards. Then next box shot 6" lower but held in a 2" group.

This is why I reload for most of my rifles. You just don't get good consistencey with factory ammo. 308 and 223 you can get consistency but that's a different topic.

Latest posts