What species to use in a spread

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Jwheatley, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    I received 6 mallard 6 green wing and 6 blue wing decoys for Christmas even though teal have done moved through will they hurt to have in my spread? Also got gift cards what species should I buy from the store to add to my spread?

2. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Ahhh to be young and decoy poor again !

Yes your teal decoys will still work. If I had a bunch of gift cards and a small spread, this is what I would buy - in order:

1st - a jerk cord (or make your own)
    2nd - some coots
    3rd - a couple goose floaters
    4th - some drake divers, either bluebill or cans
    5th - the biggest thermos I could find

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I like to put blacks to the outside of my spread for visability. Pintails show up well also. If im hunting a pond i try to match what I'm seeing scouting species wise. On big water my there's a thousand answers. More mallards would be probably be your best bet before adding more species though.

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I typically use all mallards but like adding a couple black ducks in. Blacks fly and sit right in with mallards so I will mix them right in with my mallards. I like a pair of pintails just outside the spread and if geese are in the area I like having goose decoys but make sure you keep them away from your ducks. Saw 15 green wing teal just yesterday so I wouldn't worry with putting them in the spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    Really what part of Kentucky I thought the green wing would've done past

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Buy some more Mallards and some Goose floaters.Never know when a Flock of Geese may come by and plus it will help with Ducks to. A few Mallard Butt Ups will help you to.
    I use manly Mallards. But will throw a Black Duck or 2 in with them.
    You will be ok.

7. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    i was hunting the other day had all my decoys out and had two separate flocks of geese fly right over me but only had my two and three quarter shells and for geese I won't shoot without three inch on geese

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Depends on how close they are. 2 3/4 will kill Geese.

9. Jwheatley

Jwheatley Fawn

Dec 29, 2015
    They were about 50 feet in the air that's about as far as I like to shoot even with 3 inch

10. KY-WYWaterfowler

KY-WYWaterfowler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Morehead, KY
    50 feet is in range for a .410 shotgun.

I agree, with the others. Add more mallards and maybe some goose floaters.

11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    GW teal are here all season. I have killed them the first day and last day and most any day of the season. One of my favorite ducks!

12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Mallards. 98% of the ducks I have seen this week have been mallards. Gwt and woodies were the others.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  13. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Buy foam filled decoys in whatever you buy. Nothing worse to me than having a bunch of decoys with holes in em that you can't use. Especially with diver decoys you buy, in my experience they come in low and fast and we usually end up hitting decoys. Higdon makes really nice foam filled decoys. I've been trying to get rid of all my regular stuff and switch over completely to foam filled. If you hunt big water the battleship decoys show up really well. I mix them and the standard size together in my diver lines.
    As far as species, right now I basically use mallards and black ducks for puddle ducks. I have some battleship gadwall's and pintails on the way. Goose floaters as everybody mentioned are dual purpose in my experience. You can kill ducks over goose decoys without any duck decoys out. When we have goose floaters out Id say 75% or better if he ducks key in on the goose floaters and finish near them rather than the duck decoys.
    If there are any divers around I'll throw out some ring necks or bluebills in a little group that I have rigged up with weights. If I'm putting out gang rigs I put out everything. Cans, redheads, bluebills, ring necks, buffleheads, and goldeneyes with the majority being bluebills.
    Of course all the decoys in the world don't help on a year like this[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,aa

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  14. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I like the higdons also. They stick out good in the early morning. I have mallards, pintails and cans.

15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I should have said in my original post it kind of matters where you hunt. Divers are great for big water for both killing divers over and visibility.

Species I'd still go mostly mallards cause they are everywhere. Big water, ponds, sloughs, timber.

The big foam filled decoys are great if you hunt from a boat and weight is no issue. Plus big open areas wind moves them well. But if you are packing in to hunt somewhere they will break your back. Used to there were good options for both weighted and water keel decoys. Now seems you have to make your own water keels. They are good for packing and move a little better than weighted versions.

Wait till towards end of the month or February and watch for sales. Yard sales and craigslist can be good too. You don't need brand new decoys to kill ducks. Especially watch for g&h decoys. Buy them and you can't hardly wear them out.