what muzzle loader to buy?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by gobblergetter, Oct 8, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I have never really muzzel loader hunted but I have been a couple of times and every time i tried to fire the gun didn't go off so I quit trying. Howerver, last year a buddy of mine came up from tennessee and brought his encore and we went out and i shot a doe. i loved it. felt like shooting a .22 cal I already have a 30-06 rifle and plenty of shotguns so what muzzel loader should i buy. I don't want to spend the money on an encore but I liked the feel. All i need is a muzzel loader. I've heard about the optimas and the CVA's. I would like one that shoots the 209 shotgun primer or one similar. Any suggestions?

2. boonectyhunter5618

boonectyhunter5618 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2004
    Erlanger
    i have the traditions muzzloader and freakin love it! it has the 209 primers with the tru glo sights and well i put a scope on it but thats beside the fact. i have NEVER(knock on wood) had a mis fire with this gun. have killed servel deer with this and even nice enough to let my buddy kill one. just a real big fan of the traditions brand. hope that helps with your selection.

3. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    I just purchased one today. Got a cva buckhorn from walmart for 120. it's all you need. I done quite a bit of research on the cheap buckhorn and found excellent reviews everywhere I read. 2" groups at 100 yards are the norm it seems with the right bullets. I've not had the chance to shoot mine yet but will as soon as this rain stops. I had a cva before as well, but i let it ruin due to lousy care.. It would shoot 5" groups at 200 Yards no problem. It was a 45 cal, i bought the standard 50 cal today.

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Savage smokeless! Cry once.--Mike

5. EKYHUNTER

EKYHUNTER 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2009
    i also own a traditions....mine is a pursuit xlt.....thumbholed stock fluted and ported barrel...shoots 209 primers...and also pack a punch with a 240 grain hornady bullet powerd by 150 grains of pyradex......i would shoot against and encore gun for gun......traditions makes some good muzzloaders, cva's arent bad, encore i think is overpriced....and id say stay away from knight....all around u can pick up a regular traditons pursuit for about 4hundred....best for your money

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. stinkworm

stinkworm 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    Jonesville VA
    You may want to check out Cabelas bargin cave, they have several on sale that would be a pretty good buy. In this day and time you would be hard pressed to find a muzzleloader that wouldn't shoot pretty darn good. (You can find a lemon in anything every now and then though) Most of the time we get lucky and buy a gun that shoots the load we want to shoot in it very accurate. If it won't shoot our favorite load very good it doesn't mean it's a worthless piece of junk it just means we need to put in the time of finding what it likes to shoot. Now to answer your question and try not to make anyone mad in process. My first choice would be a Thompson Center brand. ( just my personal choice) Second would be a CVA. The Kodiak is a lot of gun for the money.( Helped my cousin sight-in a very affordable CVA Wolf on Tuesday that would shoot 1" groups @ 100yds.with 295gr. powerbelt bullets.) I would have said Knight but, since they went under who knows. They made some very accurate rifles. Just never liked the plastic disc thingy.

7. bub901

bub901 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Kentucky
    I purchased the same CVA Buckhorn from Wal Mart last year and used it for both muzzle loading seasons. I can confirm the good ratings this gun gets.
    I got to shoot it several times before the season came in and had good results both times. Be aware, muzzle loaders are not like rifles or shotguns. Depending on type of powder, how much powder and the grain of the bullet determines on how well you group your shots. Not to mention, learn how to swab your barrell, it makes for better groups. I was within the 2" group @ 100 yds but it took several shots and experimenting to get it that way. Don't lose patients you'll figure it out.
    I think for the money, this is a great buy. Maybe later I'll step into something better but for now, I love this gun.
    Good luck.

8. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    Exactly right but it's a lot of moola! Awesome gun though!

9. dbd870

dbd870 6 pointer

Jun 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Agreed. The only reason I have the Encore is I am already HEAVILY into them.

10. nvmyrangerz20

nvmyrangerz20 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2009
    West KY/TN border
    Id save my money and go with the T/C Endeavor 1st choice and then any model Knight 2nd choice. I have both and Their both awesome!!! But ive heard great things about the optimas. .

11. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Buy the TC triumph they are great and reasonably priced. You shoot 209 and can shoot up to 150 grains of powder. They break down and have the speed breach.

12. da jam

da jam Fawn

Sep 30, 2009
    north carolina
    t/c bone collector w/ nikon omega scope specifacally made for muzzleloaders there is no better combo.

13. lymanl3

lymanl3 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2004
    Lafayette IN
    Savage Laminated thumbhole..accutrigger with Bushnell Elite 3200...Ive still yet to shoot it! lot of research to do, and each powder, bullett, sabot combo is different with each gun. Once you get it nailed down..look out these guns will get as tight group as any gun.

14. Ky_buckhunter

Ky_buckhunter 6 pointer

Sep 2, 2007
    tc omega laminated thumbhole

15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I've got an Encore, but as others have suggested go with the Savage smokeless. In my opinion, it's the finest muzzle loader you can have.