What month do you guys start wade fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by rockhousehunter, Apr 6, 2020.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    If i can stand to be in the water for a few hours i will fish. So i let the water temp be my determiner. Usually though tends to be more of a summer time thing for me when the daytime bite slows a bit on the lake.

2. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    With waders and water level permitting. Now. I have neoprene waders for cold water and some breathable waders for cool water. I don't usually go without waders until about June when the temps really warm up.

Be careful of hypothermia! Even if it's 90 degrees out the water temp may be considerably colder and it will suck the body heat from you fast. If your wading cold water 50-60 degrees you need waders rated for that temp. Even 70 degree water will kill you if your not careful.

As far as bait... Crawls aren't out yet but a cabin creek smoke color tube rigged weedless, mepps spinner, or a good ol rapalla shallow running minnow will get it done. If you fly fish now is the time to be stripping woolly buggers.

If I don't rain I'll be in the creek this weekend

Wampuscat likes this.
  3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    What do you mean craws aren’t out yet. I caught a couple dozen last weekend

RLWEBB likes this.
  4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Good to know. I might have to set a few traps this week in my corner of Elkhorn

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I passed over Elkhorn at that little park where you turn toward Stamping Ground last week and I kid you not I’ll bet I saw 30 people fishing. No social distancing going on there! I was thinking maybe white bass below those falls?

6. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
  7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    The creek in town has been nuts. More kayaks than an Eskimo village. I might have seen it the same day you did. There's not a white bass run there and that pool is actually only about a mile and a quarter long between low head dams. It's a good spot for chunk red-eyes and smallies but don't go on a nice weekend because of the crowds. Some of our dumber citizens even fancy walking on that low head dam and swimming next to it despite the memorial plaques next to it for the people it has killed... I'm lucky enough to have spots away from people

xbokilla likes this.
  8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I fished it one summer above those falls where you put the boats in with a friend. Was hot as blazes that afternoon. We caught 2 small largemouth and passed the time watching a whole family of raccoons catch crawdads.

WaterDog88 and drakeshooter like this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Late April but not after its been raining.

10. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 Spike

May 27, 2016
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yep! Waded Sunday afternoon and saw crawdads everywhere. Water was 52 and yes that’s cold. About 4 hours was all I could stand as I was just wearing shorts and t shirt.

xbokilla likes this.
  12. Wish we had those smallmouth rivers and creeks like that here in the Purchase. I’ve caught some tiny spots and some decent little largemouth a few times walking the Clarks River but not like what y’all got. We don’t have the elevation change for much moving water I guess.

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    There’s tanks in the clarks right outside murray off squire Holland. Largemouth that is

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. Yeah I’ve fished that stretch from there past Vanderbilt Chem, past old Wiggins Furniture to Almo several years ago. With small spinnerbaits and Carolina rigged lizards and caught some decent largemouth. That’s the stretch I caught the spots in early 2000s. Just wish we had the flow and the smallmouth like they do. Shoot I about half consider largemouth trash fish lol.