What makes you a good turkey hunter

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Feb 21, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Being patient and waiting, Not calling too much, not buying all that crap advertised on TV.

PUBLIC RAT and HappyHunter like this.
  2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
  3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    Why do you think my screen name is OLE RASPY. lol.
    Turkeys teach me every season. But there has been years I haven’t killed a bird. I’ve been at for 23 years this spring I think. Lol. I’m no pro but I can hold my own when calling in a bird. Having birds is the key to success.
    Decoys. Nah you don’t need them. Have I used them YES but has it helped idk. Prolly not. My guess. They make a good seat cushion lol.

riverboss and Feedman like this.
  4. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Persistence

I don’t consider myself a good turkey hunter because I don’t worry about that.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    What makes me a pretty good turkey hunter is the fact I've hunted them a long time and seen about everything.
    One thing that makes it easier is getting in a spot the turkeys want to go anyway. Its much harder to call them away from somewhere they don't really want to be. Don't make them cross a ditch or fence. Make it easier for them. They don't like coming down hill as much as up hill it seems. Always know that they don't always know the rules and will do some crazy things at times. Don't be afraid to set up and better your position but don't be to fast to do so because many times they will be on their way and you can bust them. Don't over call. In nature the hen goes to them. If you call too much they can hang up and wait. I will use decoys in big fields but not in the woods. Some birds are decoy shy though and will not come to them. If thats the case get back in the woods and make them come look for you. It can be very easy at times and other times seem impossible. Live and learn is the best way.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  7. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Im a middlin fair turkey hunter. The ah ha moment for me was when I realized I was out there to KILL turkeys. Not serenade them. Not to impress them with how much I sounded like a hen, etc. I've killed more turkeys being quiet and still than I have by wearing out a call. When I call and they answer they are going to have to find me by looking, not listening.
    Early on in my turkey education I heard a guy calling about a hundred yards over from me. The guy was a disgrace . Couldn't call a lick. And unfortunately he was, from the sound of it, relocating closer to me. I was saying to myself "If I couldn't do any better than that I would stay home". Then I saw him. It was a her. A hen turkey. Didn't sound like one, and it was hard to believe, but a gobbler showed up silently while she was still in sight. He was out of range for me. When I realized both were leaving I tried to entice him with the sounds of the hen of his dreams--not that screeching scrap metal in a rusty can nag he was with. Nothin doin. That was when I realized a gobbler that is looking for a hen can be called by scratching in the leaves or about anything they think remotely might be a turkey. You don't have to be regional turkey calling champ. Stop thinking call turkeys. Think kill turkeys. And you will.

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Best answer I've read so far

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Been hunting them for over 30 years. Seen most everything one could see. I'm patient, then more patient. I call better than average, but I have learned when not to call. Decoys help, no doubt. I have learned to not rush in on a bird until I know pretty well where he is, and if he's on the move. First call on a bird is critical. Don't make hen calls unless you're in a position to setup IN A HURRY. I've made about every mistake that can be made, but I've learned from those mistakes.

Feedman likes this.
  10. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Sun at your back, don't over call, know when to set still or take off in a sprint to cut em off cause they aint coming lol. That one can be tricky.
    Im trying this "fanning" or "reaping" thing this year... just because I think it will be a rush and if I get shot by some jack azz with a .223.. well, I'll go out doing something I love.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve followed this thread ,enjoyed all the post,all can and will kill turkey’s.For me a successful hunt is being in the woods ,when everything wakes up.Setting up on a gobbler ,give a couple soft tree yeps,and listing for them to fly down,and then try fooling him to come where I want him to come.If he comes in and gets shot ,that’s a plus for me ,or who I might have with me.If he goes the other way ,it’s still a success for me,that’s my goal is to find and work the birds,either at dawn or anytime through the day..It don’t mean that much to kill anymore,as to fool him into coming to my call.I’ve made and used my calls since the late eighties,most years several tags were filled.
    I’m still on oxygen now ,doing pulmonary rehab ,hopefully it helps.My point is ,cherish every minute you got to be out there,and enjoy what you have,don’t make a chore out of it ,enjoy calling for a child ,grandchild ,or some friend,the most successful hunt you’ll have ,may not involve a kill.Good luck to all

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

What makes me a good turkey hunter? Preparation! From mastering several types of calls, patterning my gun, preseason scouting, habitat improvements, predator control. It's all preparation! "If ya stay ready, ya don't have to get ready."

13. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    When I first started harvesting turkeys it was mostly due to persistence, then it became patience, then experience. Now the most important thing is to choose turkey hunting over fishing. It's getting more difficult every year.

14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Trial and error has been the best thing for me; this is my 23 spring hunting turkey. I taught myself how to turkey hunt. I read a lot of turkey topics, watched a lot of vids, but time in the field (experience) imho is the ticket to become a turkey hunter. There's plenty people out there that hunt turkey, but it takes yrs of experience to become a "good turkey hunter".

15. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    First, Dark Cloud, I hope your therapy helps you to recover to where you can enjoy the chase once again! If you need a blind to sit hit me up.

This is my 45th year chasing these crazy birds. My uncle sat me down when I was 13 and taught me how to run a box call and sent me to the woods the next morning. Since that day it's been a journey. Lots of lessons, lots of successes. Guided for 30 years, still enjoy taking children. Love that smile when they hear the first gobble. Spend many mornings with a cup of coffee on the porch just listening to the birds. Am I an expert, no not near it, the expert is the turkey. The key to killing em is to get after em they can be as dumb as we can be at times chasing women. Don't get down on yourself if you make mistakes, learn from them. But keep getting out, don't over call, set up smartly and always always always be sure of your target. Enjoy every moment you get in gods beauty, respect the game and have a little hunting etiquette.

Genesis 27:3, Munson and Dark Cloud like this.