What makes you a good turkey hunter

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Feb 21, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Do you tag out ever year, how far do you setup from roost .morning or afternoon success . Do you think that decoys help .How is it important of the call you use? is the food source the key

2. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    If you find me out on the web still listed as somebody's pro-staffer, you'll see that I never claimed to be an expert turkey hunter, only an expert beginning turkey hunter. If you want to look at what makes me a success, it is that I have never stopped looking at it as routine. I always try to approach each season as though it is my first. I always strive to keep things simple, and I always try to learn from whatever I am doing. It's been nearly 40 years, and I'm still pretty much that guy who pulls on his box call for the first time and gets gets a gobbler answering, and I still feel like it is a miracle. I still feel like a dang fool out there with my shotgun, and I'm still sure I can hear the gobblers laughing at me. You hear them too, right?

The other thing that makes me successful is that I've been hunting the same 200 acre plot since 2002, and I'm out there all the time. I'm now hunting the great-great-great grandsons of the gobblers I hunted that first season. They aren't all the same, but they do have similarities.

You hear a lot of talk about gobblers having individual personalities. To some extent that is true, but the geography has a lot to do with it too. That is, after you've been hunting the same place for a number of years, you start to see similarities. A gobbler moves into a given area and starts sounding off from the same roost that once housed one of his late great ancestors. That gobbler will often have the same "personality" as his predecessor. After 17 seasons, it gets to be somewhat the same to the point where I can hunt the Son-of-Mister-Natural the way I hunted old 'Natural himself. If he roosts in A), that probably means he'll go strut in pasture B) and if I show up at Noon and hit him with some rauckous yelps, I'll probably get a visit before dinnertime. Is it the lay of the land that makes the gobbler's personality, or is it that some gobblers are attracted to certain landforms? The answer is Yes-- one of those will do nicely.

As a result, I can say without question that I am the greatest turkey expert on my little piece of the Greater Neave/Browningsville Metroplex. I claim nothing more or less.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  3. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I dont consider myself a pro turkey hunter by anymeans. But i started hunting turkeys in 98 and have filled the vast majority of the tags i have been issued since then. To me the most important factor when it comes to killing birds is location. You can take the best hunter in the world and if there arent any turkeys around he or she prolly wont kill one. Then on the other hand you can take a novice and put him in turkeys that havent been hunted and he will look like a pro. I took my first 4 or 5 gobblers on public land using a muzzeloading shotgun. That alone taught me alot. I only had one shot and had to hunt birds that had been hunted time after time again.
    The second most important thing to me is your calling. One cant practice too much. An knowing when and what type of call to use means alot.
    Decoys are good in most situations but not always. Depends on the birds and location. For example i have spooked birds trying to get decoys setout. And i have had them shy away after seeing decoys.
    As far as afternoon vs morning? I would rsther hunt mornings and have killed most in the mornings. Not that afternoons are bad. Cause they can be great. But i prefer mornings for several personal reasons. Such as mornings tend to have more gobbling and i like to hear them gobble.
    Food sources are important to keep birds in your area year round. But i dont really key into them when hunting in the spring. Unlike deer hunting where to me food is key. This all is just me and may very hunter to hunter. Good luck.

4. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Edit: One thing i forgot to add is being persistant. One reason i have filled most of my tags vs some people i know is i stay out there when most go on home. I will hunt everyday untill i run out of tags or season ends. I plan my time off at work so i can have time during season to hunt. An support from the wife helps. Other then location this is the most imporatant thing when it comes to success. Its called hunting not killing. An your not always gonna tag out the first weekend of season. So you gotta keep going. Cover ground and be safe while doing it.

5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I dont consider myself a good turkey hunter. I do consider myself a successful turkey hunter. In my opinion..woodsmanship..and patience will kill more turkeys then anything. And you have to be willing and able to get out of a 'routine' when hunting them. Actually...never get in a habit of making the hunt routine..its one less habit you will need to break. A little luck here and there helps too.

And yeller acarns...lol.

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    The yeller acarns im afraid make some dummy turkey hunters success every spring. I ran across a guy years ago at a job site who said he couldnt wait till season opened next week. I said "oh yea why?" He said because i got these two big old gobblers on the farm next to me roosting and every morning they fly down and follow the hens right to my corn pile. Haha. Idiot. He didnt like what i had to say next to say the least. He was as serious as can be too and ment every word of what he had just said. Blows my mind to this day. Ha
    An if your reading this post and you bait turkeys in the spring your no turkey hunter at all. You are a cheater. Anyone can bait turkeys in with a corn pile in the spring when the rest of the state is hunting ethically. Im not saying all baiting in general is bad. But rules should be followed to ensure the future of our sport

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    At least 90% of my success is due to my spots. IMO, the difference between a good hunter and a bad hunter is almost always their hunting spots

xbokilla and hunt like this.
  8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I would not consider myself a great turkey hunter, decent at best. My calling is fair and I have all the necessary tools to make hunts successful. After years of turkey hunting patience and persistence have been the things that have made me a decent hunter. Patience to stay seated when a bird goes silent has been a big key. Persistence comes in when I stay at it. I love turkey hunting but love other game hunting and fishing just as equally so I don't plan vacations like some around season. What days I do get to hunt I hunt hard. Before sun up to sunset if needed. A equal number of the birds I have killed have been from 10am-3pm when a lot of hunters are already back at home.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not giving up or quitting when it’s tough. Same as deer hunting.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Just my two cents worth....but your spot on..... a lot of success in turkey hunting is about effort.

Being ....are you willing to get-up earlier, walk further, cross creeks & terrain in the dark or even camp out for hours in a spot that an old tom has been fooling around. Are you going to the tom gobbling his head off in the rain or stick to a comfy blind and hope for the best. Which sometimes its about getting out of your comfort zone and even being creative.

Most of the people I know that I consider above average turkey hunters are never complacent.... you have the tom & you have them and they are going to do whatever it takes to kill that bird.

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I can hootie hoot like an owl.

Feedman likes this.
  12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    As several have already said, location can make anyone a good turkey hunter...…...but to me, patience and persistence are the keys to being successful. The difference between the average turkey hunter and good turkey hunters, in my opinion are two (2) things...…….1) knowing where/how to setup and 2) knowing when to call, and most importantly, when NOT to call.

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I can write a book on this after get off from work

14. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    I wouldn't call myself a pro ,but I have been successful . Knowing the land you hunt is very important and preseason scouting.When I say scouting I'm talking about scouting from a distance with binoculars or spotting scope and whatever you do don't start spooking them before season ever comes in.If you know where they usually roost and which way they travel you're way ahead of the game.Patience is key to turkey hunting,if things don't go well the first couple of hours don't give up. I have heard so many turkeys give their location away by sitting and just listening .Shoot your gun long before season comes in and know where it shoots and practice with your calls as well. Patience and persistence has killed many a turkey and don't hurt to get lucky every once and a while !

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  15. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    Lets here it?